NEW Official MPC Thread!!!

(Moderators, please pin this thread)

I started the original thread so it's only proper I start the new one! :D

Anyone with any pictures, news, compliments, gripes, jokes, etc on Toynami's VF-1 "Veritech" toys, please post here. :)

Edited by Roy Focker

(Moderators, please pin this thread)

Anyone with any pictures, news, compliments, gripes, jokes, etc on Toynami's Alpha/Legioss toys, please post here.

Edited by Apollo Leader

From what I remember from the old MW forum, people did show pictures from SDCC 2003. I saw the samples myself at the convention and they were all right. Figures.com has descent selection fromt the Toynami display Figures.com Toynami Robotech display from SDCC 2003

Here is a larger SDCC 2003 picture from aftimes.com that shows the other Alpha heads (green, red and shadow) along with the painted pilot and cyclone.

toy8.jpg

Edited by Chuey

Well as long as they keep the diecast high and the plastic low, and the QC high, and the paint job also high I'll consider collecting the blue one and the shadow. While the quality looks good that price of 80$ for a 1/55 leigoss is just insane. Hopefully we will see the prices also drop on them like the veritechs did.

Well as long as they keep the diecast high and the plastic low, and the QC high, and the paint job also high I'll consider collecting the blue one and the shadow. While the quality looks good that price of 80$ for a 1/55 leigoss is just insane. Hopefully we will see the prices also drop on them like the veritechs did.

Hey if Toynami can sell out their stock with an MSRP of $80 more power to them. Of course we still haven't heard a production number, I'm getting the feeling that they're going to stick with 10,000 this time. If you think they'll sell out, I sugguest you buy but, even at 10,000 its likely we'll see retailers drop their prices.

Well. I know the cost to retailers was 54.00 for the VF-1 MPCs. Now Toynami told the retailers they had to sell them at 79.99 to keep them from competing with the RT.com store. WTH is that. That is why some retailers/E-Tailers were selling them for 79.99 but with free shipping. :ph34r:

OK, I've worked in the management end of retail to know that there is no way a product maker can force retailers to sell things at certain prices. "MSRP" is just that, the suggested retail price. As a retailer you have all the rights in the world to sell it for whatever you want.

Case in point:

Durring a heated sales market in the 1960s, retail stores in an area where all selling the same record players. They all had the same overhead of $20 each on the players. The MSRP on the players was $30. Every store had them at that price. Then a price war started up and each store started undercutting each other. One store started it by selling the record players for $28, and then the next guy lowered his price to $25 and so on and so forth until they where all selling them for like $1 above cost at $21... then one of the store owners does the "unthinkable" and starts selling them at cost for $20 under the guise that he will make more money off the records he sells with the players than the actual player itself (kind of like Microsoft and the X box). Next thing you know all the retailers are selling below cost at $15 just so they don't loose sales to the others, all hoping to make their money back on accessories and records. True story.

Then in the '80s something happened. Companies got mad that their items had drastically differing prices all over the nation. They started "stock enforcement", which is basically a way of the company setting a MMRP (Manufacturer's MANDATED retail price). The companies demanded that retailers sell their goods at a certain price and did not allow them to reduce radically like what had gone before. In other words: price fixing. The retailers went along with this as they got a little greedier and now the concept of selling "at cost" or below was stupid. The only way a manufacturer had any power over the retail market if they refused to follow their pricing structure was to simply "cut them off" and not allow any sales. I actually saw that happen here in Saint Louis when the X Box/PS2 price war started. A local privately owned game store started advertising X boxes "below cost" at $150 if you bought like 5 games with it or some nonsense like that. Microsoft pretty much told him to "cut it out and get with the program" or they would suspend shipments of product to him.

Price fixing is common in today's market. Toynami/HG is playing the same game as Sony, Microsoft, Shell Oil and Eddie Bauer. Our only salvation is the secondary market and the rebel sellers who buy low and sell low.

OK, I've worked in the management end of retail to know that there is no way a product maker can force retailers to sell things at certain prices. "MSRP" is just that, the suggested retail price. As a retailer you have all the rights in the world to sell it for whatever you want.

Telling a store they have to sell something at a certain price is called "price fixing" and is illegal, at least in the US

I'm guessing a lot of you are not familiar with the degree of unseen price fixing that actually goes on in the united states. People have just become so accustomed to it that they ignore it. Some retailers are afraid of the manufactureres... companies like Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft and the like actually have reps that come into your store and make damn well sure you are following their corporate sales plan... whether you like it or not. You mess with their plans or pricing guides and they simply pull your ability to order from them. It's like they are "franchising" your own stock... and in other situations (like people who just buy one case for "personal use") the manufacturers sell an item at an at cost price of $50 and has an MSRP of $51. How can a retailer or second marketer not follow their MSRP and hope to make money?

Toynami is just playing the game and we are the pawns. Unless you want to join me in a glorious workers revolt with ski masks and uzis against the evil corporate machine than we should all just sit back and pay the best price we can get for it.

Good to see this thread is back.

Price fixing seems to have become the American way...

Many of us will end up paying full price for the Alphas.... I'm probably one of them.

How do companies not get regulated on the price fixing stuff anyway? I also thought this was illegal practice.

Actual "price fixing" as a crime is very easy to charge someone with, but a lot of the companies are so steeped in purchase contracts, point of sales agreements and the like that you'd have to go though a mountain of red tape to even find a place to start... and nine times out of ten with the smart companies you'll find that at some point you as a retailer signed some contract releasing them from any wrongdoing in the sales process. A lot of manufacturers like to sneak that in on invoices and purchase orders.

Most retailers have no quam with companies doing this as they are making money either way... and when their price on an item is the same as the guy down the street the odds they will be outsold are slim to none. Look in the local paper some time, notice the items that have no price difference or a very, very limited one in everyone's ads in the paper. Some people have even said that Nintendo and Sony gave Walmart a hassle for advertising their items for $149.96 rather than $149.99...

But I digress as we are talking about toys that will eventually hit the secondary market, which is totally uncontrolled...

Has anyone heard what the price will be on the "import" Mospeada varients?

Kevin said he is going to get them. He might be able to get them cheap directly or if he has to import them they will probably be 89.99 or more. <_>

Unless you want to join me in a glorious workers revolt with ski masks and uzis against the evil corporate machine than we should all just sit back and pay the best price we can get for it.

I'm with ya! I've been itching to give my new toy a test (just got the FSSG mod for my Glock 19 and several 31 round mags).

Back to the toy.

I still don't know if I'm willing to pay $80 for this thing. If I do, then I am just going to buy the blue one and the matching Tread. I might try and pick up the rest of the ones later if the price comes down.

Out of the VF-1 MPCs, I only paid full-price on the first one, the rest I got cheaper.

Well, I paid regular for the Fast packs. (I need a second job and I will just sign the checks over to Kevin at VE) :D