Fang of the Sun: Dougram

We've all seen the models of the mecha from this series - a lot of them were in the original Battletech (along with Macross and Crusher Joe mecha). Has anybody actually seen the series? I think it's on DVD in Japanese but I've never seen it offered in English even as a bootleg.

dougram.jpg

I've been a big fan of these mechs since the Revell Robotech days. I've seen the series, it's pretty awesome. I think if you like Macross or Votoms you'll like Dougram. They all have that real-esque military vibe.

The anime has never been dubbed or subbed in English. I believe it was dubbed into Spanish . It might have been Portugese, I can't remember.

I'm not sure about the series but Takara made some kick ass (die cast) Dougrams in the mid 80's. I wish I still had mine. :(

I second that, the old Takara Dougram toys were great. Wish I still had mine as well.

Being a big fan of military mecha, I'd love to see this series subbed in English one day.

Graham

Oh man! I had the Takara Soltec, it was really an awesome toy-model, If my mind works well it even had a suspension on the legs, I would love to know where mine is, I had such good moments with that thing, among like 40 transformers that thing was unique on my collection, even the box was great! I have to admit it was the best mecha I had.. not even fortress maximus was close to the quality of that thing, and I could take that to school with no problems! heheheh, now I wonder what happened with the rest of my transformers... :(

Yeah, those are some awesome designs.... I almsot got one of the small Takara figs once... anotehr day I guess.

macplus- I misread the word moments for the word movements in your post, and thought you meant you took it in the crapper with you....

:lol: LOL! my english sucks I guess.... :p

• 11 years later...

I've been watching it on youtube though it looks like only 2/3rds of the episodes are there with english subs so my enjoyment is bound to end prematurely. I definitely prefer Votoms to Dougram so far but I'm a big Votoms fan so that isn't saying a whole lot. I feel like I can summarize what happens in the first 43 episodes in a single paragraph. I think kids with the shorter attention spans of today would get bored and lose interest. Still, I enjoy it, wish I knew I could finish it.

I caught all of it subbed on youtube.  I think I had to swap to another list of postings midway to complete the series.  I agree, 9 year old me would not have stayed with it.  30 years later, I was quite surprised at just how elaborate (and long) it was.  The visuals are dated AF, but the composition is rock solid 90% of the time.  I cannot imagine such a slow burner ever getting greenlit in any format these days, which is a shame.  By the way, people smoke like chimneys in the space-future.

Edited by Professor Dire
clean up

So all episodes are on YouTube now with English subs?

I love the classics like dunbine and votoms and giant gorg and panzer world galient. I hope that more of the classics get at us official release soon. Especially those sunrise 80's robot mech shows, along with their sequels and ova's.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hoping for some help finding some model pictures and I was recommended to ask in the Dougram thread. Hopefully this is the right one. They're called Battle Armor Panther and Battle Armor Victor. They look like Dougram mecha only with tank turrets for heads. The Victor picture also has Crab Gunners in the background. The model kids are 1/76 scale and I think are made by AR? I hope someone can help me find the pictures again. Mine are lost somewhere and all I've got are some poor black & white laser prints of them. Thanks :)

Try mahq. They have line art for the series and some variations and I think they may also have some kit pictures, but it's been a while since I last checked. The names may be different on some, but I know the crabgunner is there for sure in line art.

Also you could try a search for robotech defenders kits from back in the day. Some of those were dougram kits and I don't really remember what else.

Edited by Big s
A bit more info

• 1 month later...

For the love of the Goddess, why can't they make a anime of Battletech? they would make hand over fist in model kits alone...

So I finally made it to the end of Dougram... and boy, what a marathon. I feel like it was a show that kept getting extended so they kept finding ways to prolong it... but it does end right where it begins so that's probably not what happened. It's like the show builds momentum and then strives to steadily lose all of its momentum at the exact point it ends... dying a slow plodding death. For me it was an interesting bit of mecha anime history but not something I would recommend most people dumping the time into.

• 5 months later...

You know, I never watched the series, despite seeing the mecha everywhere and even having had several of the kits under the Robotech Defenders repackaging. The kits were very impressive for their day and I think many of the 1/48 kits would still look decent now with a little re-working. 

I just saw the first 8 episodes and I'm bloody impressed with the series so far, not to mention hooked! It's so brilliantly done and the story and themes are still very relevant today. This is definitely a MUST-watch, and now we're going to need to lean-on Bandai to make a PG Dougram! :ph34r: