Read 'em and weep Fellow Battletech fans!

"The Sword and Dagger".. nabbed off of ebay for LESS than $5 US (although it was bought out of the UK, with the help of MW member "Project Phoenix"). The book seems to typically fetch a much higher price. This is the first in my attempts to pick up the first printings of many of the earlier B-tech novels (the "Warrior" trillogy, "the Blood of Kerensky" trillogy, and "The Grey Death Legion" Saga.)

THE supposed treasure amongst battletech novels, and in pretty good shape no less! The story is decent so far.

post-26-1107330842_thumb.jpg

to my knowledge (and I could be wrong), ROC publishing did not touch any of the early Battletech line. Unfortunately most of my collection resides in a box in my hometown at the moment.. and they're all "newer" books (IE, with the new style logo they've been using ever since the 3050 Technical Readout came out). I've got some printings of most of the books I mentioned previously, I'm looking for the earlier printings (with the older, more military style logo on them, like the one I'm holding) for their cover-art.

The Jade Phoenix trillogy is SOOO worth the read! Since so far as I know, it's out of print, you should pick it up when you get the chance. As far as battletech is concerned, anything Robert Thurston and Michael Stackpole touched turned to gold. Those guys didn't know how to write a bad book. Loren A. Colemen and Blaine Pardoe aren't bad either. Anyone else is pretty much hit and miss.

Edited by Skull Leader

There are newer reprints with new book art for Jade Phoenix triology. I've read the last book ages ago as there weren't any others at that point of time. But you won't feel too left out even if you started from the 3rd book. They kinda fill you in on what happened in book 1 and 2.

BUT OMG....from book 3 alone its excellent! Loved that. Ok...i think i'll take your advice and get the reprints. :)

Btw, do you know how many series did Twilight Of the Clans had? I think that was the last official offering from FASA before whizkids too over with their Dark Age continuity. PFFT.....

Wow. I sold all my BT novels a few years ago. Had I only known. . .

Though I did clear about $1500 on my whole BTech collection. So I guess I'm not too sad. :)

Warrior Trilogy rocked.

Congrats on the pick-up. Looks to be in excellent condition as well!

Edited by Hurin

Ok, excuse my ignorance, but what is the big deal about the book, is it worth anything, or is it just for its historical value amongst B-tech fandom? Also if you are looking for old B-Tech books, raid my old high school library it was, and probably still is, stocked full of older first edition sci-fi noivels, including a great many B-Techs.

"The Sword and The Dagger" was the first Battletech novel ever made. Strangely enough it was also the only one of the original novels never reprinted. The author of this book (Ardath Mayhar) has not written any battletech books since, and I can't see any reason (so far at least) for WHY it was discontinued, but I guess you could say it's rarity is predominantly what sends fans after it. The book regularly fetches a price of $50-$75 on ebay, so when we saw it listed from the UK with a BIN of less than $2.50 (US dollar equivilent) I immediately jumped on it. I figured if I didn't enjoy the book (which so far I am), I could turn around and make a profit on it probably if I wanted to.

I've always wanted to read it, but the book was only pressed one time... back in 1987. I didn't really get in to battletech until 1990-91, and by that point the book had dissapeared from bookstores, and the joy that was the Internet had not yet fully manifested itself.

I'm also looking for things like the "Sorenson's Sabres" suppliment as well as the 1st edition of Mechwarrior. (I have the second)

There are newer reprints with new book art for Jade Phoenix triology. I've read the last book ages ago as there weren't any others at that point of time. But you won't feel too left out even if you started from the 3rd book. They kinda fill you in on what happened in book 1 and 2.

BUT OMG....from book 3 alone its excellent! Loved that. Ok...i think i'll take your advice and get the reprints. :)

Btw, do you know how many series did Twilight Of the Clans had? I think that was the last official offering from FASA before whizkids too over with their Dark Age continuity. PFFT.....

yeah, all three books have been put into one mass market paperback volume. I work at Borders and bought it a couple months ago. good read and only like $7.99 or so