New Anti-UN mecha from Macross II

wolframbane

Found a new mecha from the comic series Macross II: The Micron Conspiracy published by Viz Comics. The story was written by James D. Hudnall and drawn by Schuloff Tam. The name of the mecha is uncertain, I have heard it referred to as the 'Nemesis'.

The story occurs in 2090, a year after the vents of Macross II: Lovers Again. The United Nations Resistance (UNR, the later version of the Anti-United Nations) took over Mechtech, a mecha production facility. They began production of a new variable fighter, the 'Nemesis', using overtechnology stolen from the Macross. The mecha was the equivalent to the Metal Siren in capability, and had advanced stealth and communication decryption systems. The UNR attempted a coupe to take over the UN government, but their plans were exposed by Hibiki Kanzaki, Sylvie Geena and Zara, a rogue Meltran pilot.

post-2-1107304874_thumb.jpg

Hmm, looks like something that would show up in some RT comic...

similar :)

M2-Micron Consp. is as far as I know a continuity made in the US to milk a little more from those who liked the M2 video and comic.

still I'd like to see the story once.

I really dig the background music from Macross II the most, same guy that composed the Tenchi score from what I understand.

The pop music is a guilty pleasure, but I enjoy it.

I never cared for any of the MII mech designs, but this thing makes even the most bland design from the OVA look like a work of genius.

Definitely interesting though, thanks for sharing wolframbane. I didn't know that the Micron Conspiracy was made by Viz for U.S. consumption. Of course, I'd only ever seen issues of it in passing.

Wow, that thing's design looks like it's straight out of a cheap 80's tranforming robot show (with the exception of the nifty head). Maybe it's just a bad view. Anyway, the problem with this style of transforming robot is that they seem forced into vehicle form (just look at Southern Cross) whereas robots from shows like Macross seem to be designed with both forms in mind.

MY EYES !!!!!!

That's just horrible :angry:

It's a shame when these comic companies try to cash in on something that isn't theirs to begin with.

...and where did they get this artist, & what was he smoking when he drew that?

CAN HE EVEN DRAW A TOASTER ???

it's just.... wrong

Edited by UN_MARINE

Anyway, the problem with this style of transforming robot is that they seem forced into vehicle form (just look at Southern Cross) whereas robots from shows like Macross seem to be designed with both forms in mind.

You know, we much have watched 2 entirely separate series for you to come up with the idea that the variable mecha from Southern Cross were forced. If you actually sit and watch the animation you will see how it works.

As for The Micron Conspiracy, I'm surprised no one mentioned Hibiki's holo-camouflage as Sailor Moon ;).

• 2 years later...

I realise how old this thread is...but I'm both bumping (for newer members) the discussion that already exists and replying at the same time. :)

Its interesting, in retrospect, to see that this series came-out at all, given Harmony Gold's past restrictions (rumoured or otherwise) upon Macross releases. It could be explained that it was released in an era where Harmony Gold themselves were not producing any Robotech-related stuff (and instead having Eternity Comics and/or Antarctic Press, plus Palladium Books do the work) and so they let it fly, if the explanation is needed. But nevertheless, I'm not aware of any other instances of "non-Japanese Macross series" in the same ways that Astro Boy (鉄腕アトム), Captain Harlock, and Queen Emeraldas (for instances) were given this treatment.

To those of you who know more about the history of Macross: Is this the only Macross-focused (i.e. not-Battletech, not-Robotech) Macross-related series made outside of Japan?

The comic Macross II: The Micron Conspiracy by Viz comics, and was actually produced completely in America. May be the only Macross series exclusively made for an American audience.

Yes. They really weren't paying much attention to the story with Silvie making racist remarks about Zentreadi considering she was proud of her Meltran grandmother in the show... :rolleyes:

I only read the first issue and was not at all impressed.

I realise how old this thread is...but I'm both bumping (for newer members) the discussion that already exists and replying at the same time. :)

Its interesting, in retrospect, to see that this series came-out at all, given Harmony Gold's past restrictions (rumoured or otherwise) upon Macross releases. It could be explained that it was released in an era where Harmony Gold themselves were not producing any Robotech-related stuff (and instead having Eternity Comics and/or Antarctic Press, plus Palladium Books do the work) and so they let it fly, if the explanation is needed. But nevertheless, I'm not aware of any other instances of "non-Japanese Macross series" in the same ways that Astro Boy (鉄腕アトム), Captain Harlock, and Queen Emeraldas (for instances) were given this treatment.

To those of you who know more about the history of Macross: Is this the only Macross-focused (i.e. not-Battletech, not-Robotech) Macross-related series made outside of Japan?

Yes the Micro Conspiracy is, if you don't count fanfiction!

Macross 2 and the release of Macross Plus are the chink in the armor of the supposed claim of ownership by HG of the Macross franchise... :D Had they legally challenged the Manga Ent. release of these two titles they could successfully argue in a court that they controlled the franchise here, but since they didn't now they can't.

Though unfortunately no one has stepped up to challenge them on this and thus publically debunk their claims.

Which is why often officers of HG will not comment on any copyright issues with respect to Macross, be they here or in Japan.