Transformers Thread 2

Dangard Ace

The Masterpiece Convoy came out a couple of years ago now. It's a pretty big toy, at least 12 inches tall. It was released in the U.S. by Hasbro as the 20th Anniversary Prime. It doesn't come with a trailer, but now there are a couple unnofficial MPC trailers you can buy.

The Hybrid Convoy is designed by Shoji Kawamori. It's very tiny, not even as tall as the original Prime toy (and the original was only, what? 5-6 inches?). Verty detailed for such a tiny toy, very articulated, moreso than the Masterpiece toy it would seem. It comes complete with a trailer and roller (the little, 6-wheeled cart that came with the original).

384367[/snapback]

So... if I'm going to get one, should I get Optimus? If Starscream is as good as he sounds he will be I might be persuaded to pick him up (he's my favorite Decepticon).

Can you even find the Masterpiece Convoy anywhere?

MPC Convoy it seems just had a reissue lately. Either that or the local toy stores which were hoarding him suddenly decided to let them go on the advent of a reissue.

Er, both the Hybrid and the Masterpiece are Prime/Convoy. There is another Masterpiece coming out, that will be Starscream. As for finding it, well I [picked mine up when you could get the 20th Anniversary version in your local Walmart or Toys 'R Us. It's probably difficult to find now, but you may want to search the usual suspects. HLJ, eBay, etcetera. Google is your friend.

Just to let you know, while Masterpiece Convoy is about twice as much as the Hybrid one, it's definetaly a better value, even if it doesn't come with a trailer IMO.... even if the Hybrid one is a tad more posable and detailed AND comes with a trailer, 50 bucks is still alot for such a small piece, expecially when you can stretch and own the best Transformer toy ever made.

Just to let you know, while Masterpiece Convoy is about twice as much as the Hybrid one, it's definetaly a better value, even if it doesn't come with a trailer IMO.... even if the Hybrid one is a tad more posable and detailed AND comes with a trailer, 50 bucks is still alot for such a small piece, expecially when you can stretch and own the best Transformer toy ever made.

384406[/snapback]

Yeah the Hybrid prime is a neat little toy and i can't wait to display him on my desk, his poseability and articulation is amazing, not to mention the fact that he was designed by Mr. Kawamori... but the MP Prime is in a league of it's own. Simply the greatest transformer ever made IMO. What better toy to be a centerpiece in your collection than the 12" diecast built and superbly detailed monster that is MP/20th Annv. Prime. Both are great buys, but MP Prime is superior if you don't already own him.

That's the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks guys. My friend said he saw a few at Software Etc a while back, so I might check there. I was planning on going to Toys R Us to waste some time later this week, so I'll be sure to check them out as well. Heck, I'll check all of the local retailers. The net will be my last option.

It pains me to say this, but TF > Robotech (Macross). :(

That's the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks guys. My friend said he saw a few at Software Etc a while back, so I might check there. I was planning on going to Toys R Us to waste some time later this week, so I'll be sure to check them out as well. Heck, I'll check all of the local retailers. The net will be my last option.

384425[/snapback]

I disagree only b/c i cant agree with you :)

384425[/snapback]

384516[/snapback]

On the other hand, I'm quite happy to agree with Macross73.

384425[/snapback]

384516[/snapback]

That all depends really, I won't disagree that say, MP transformer line > Macross.

BT I'm ambigious on. They are cheaper, and all look great in car mode, but many have very spotty bot modes. I'd say that maybe, 10% of transformers MP+BT > macross

Macross > the other 90% of transformer including cybertron, armada and all that other crap.

Comparing G1 and SDF Macross. That's it. For me G1 wins. Sorry.

*shakes head in disbelief* :D

As for alt prime: I honestly thought that was a custom when I first saw it. Like some guy took alt ironhide made a prime head and stuck the head on the ironhide body as a joke. (haven't been up to date on the latest alts for ages)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Alternators Prime Gallery

Oh, and for all of you Nemesis Prime fans: Link

384751[/snapback]

*Shudder*

Everytime i see pics of this monster i recoil in disbelief. I can't believe how ugly he is. Plain and simple this figure doesn't do Prime justice, hell it wouldn't do any character justice he's just got way too much kibble and he just looks like he could have used a lot more work (better transformation, more thought out articulation possibilities etc.). I'm sorry but i'm sticking with MP/20th Ann. Prime.

The tell tale sign for me is the fact that gallery is by Remy and his galleries have turned me from downright hating a figure to going out a buying them the next day on more than one occasion, but this time... i'm sticking by intial opinion. Alt. Prime was better left as a crazy idea than a real figure.

Edited by Veritas

Actually I kind of like the new alternators prime, kindof what prime would be today if the series began today instead of a semi truck. Heck if it came in a crew cab and black I would get one for my brother in law, it would match his truck.

Comparing G1 and SDF Macross. That's it. For me G1 wins. Sorry.

*shakes head in disbelief* :D

As for alt prime: I honestly thought that was a custom when I first saw it. Like some guy took alt ironhide made a prime head and stuck the head on the ironhide body as a joke. (haven't been up to date on the latest alts for ages)

384761[/snapback]

:D It's cause I grew up with TF. I didn't even see Robotech until I was 11-12, and I didn't see DYRL until last month. Cut me some slack. :p

I don't completely dislike the overall design of the toy. There's a few things that bug me, sure, but if this were another character, I think I'd be much more excited

But as Prime, it just doesn't work, especially since the 20th Anniversary Prime already works so well with the line.

If there's a way to eliminate that little red piece of.. underwear... he has across the front of his waist, I'll like it a lot more.

384847[/snapback]

that just sound swrong :ph34r::p

GCI Prime looks good . his arms look skinny to me though.

Edited by Macross73

I *really* want to know what truck he modeled that CG Prime on. It's even closer than the "really close" pic I have. It may even be the same model, just a different year of production. (My best guess is still a Freightliner FL86).

Even without the CG he did, he should tell the world what model of truck he found that matches the G1 toy so closely.

I have read that the older 70's Freightliner cabovers had angled wheel arches (like the toy) so it's very possible that a slightly earlier version of that model of truck would EXACTLY match Prime.

CGI prime is pretty sweet looking! I actually dig the spindley arms and the old school eyes, gives it a creepy mechanical alien vibe that the cartoon erased by making the robot forms more "human" like.

Gives me great hope for the movie.

You know what sucks? About a month ago I was digging through my box of Transformers to show a curious friend what I had...

Anyway, I took my Transmetal Beast Wars Megatron out of the box (it had been opened before, but the chrome was fantastic. I can't say the same for Rattrap.) I was transforming him to Robot mode and SNAP. One of his shoulder fans busted off. My friend was appalled, and I wasn't too happy myself. I continued to transform him and SNAP. Off went one of his arms.

Now, I wasn't using that much force. I'm wondering if the plastic had deteriorated or something over the years. It had been stored in an EXTREMELY cold area for... letsee... around 5 years. (empty grain bins/quonset/garage in northern North Dakota)

Sad. :(

I could've sworn that the Binaltech version of the Alternators Prime is supposed to be Ginrai.

385198[/snapback]

The BT version(s) have been postponed... if not altogether canceled. There's been no news on them for about a month or two now. I don't think the BT/BTA line is totally canceled or anything, but more like takara/tomy is reworking their business strategy after their recent merger, but if we do see him it might be a while yet before he's released.