Question for My Macross friends

Ranger565

Hey all,

Trying to prove a point to a friend of mine. I collect old macross kits NOT just because I want to have it, but because of Box Art. I told my friend that Some of the old kits are nice to have just because of the Artwork. He looked at me Like i was nuts. I told him. I dont even plan to build some of these kits, just to have them as collectors items. So I am wondering if any of you feel the same way? Just because a 1/100 Tomahak is the same in a 15th Aniversery box, To me is not the same as a 1983 1/100 Box. To my friend its the same model so why pay for a box?

Well anyway am I alone in this thought? Or have i proven my Best friend wrong

you don't need a reason to collect... there's really no "need" for any of this stuff. Buy what you want for whatever reason you want it for. I suspect you wouldn't sell the kits inside even though you claim to only want the box art, as long as you don't go out of control and end up making things harder for you than it normally would. If you want to collect uncompleted kits with beautiful box art then that's your choice.

I guess to me the older kits such as the 1/160 monster or the 1/72 Tomahawk are ktis you just cant buy much of anymore. So you to me just owning the kit with the box is nice. Sure you can build the kit. and toss the box but man you may not get another. But a 1/100 Spartan old box is more valuable to me then a box thats 15th Aniversury :D

Edited by Ranger565

I actually collect the kits for the models since I'm a Macross fans but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE HASEGAWA ARTWORK!!! As an artist myself... I'm just utterly blown away and completely jealous of how people can come up with such things. The artwork is just a HUGE added bonus to my collection imo. :D

I definitely see your point. If you like to collect the unbuilt kits for the box art then by all means, go for it!

I buy the model in order to build the kit, but I keep the box for the artwork. (drives my wife nuts!)

I have bought a kit in a different box just because I like the artwork better than on a different reissue or whatever. A couple of times I've even paid a couple dollars more for the box with the better artwork if I really like it. The kits are definitely the priority and I consider the box art a bonus.

To me, it looks like ur just keeping the older ones... which usually are rarer. IMO, it has nothing to do with the boxart since they both pretty much have the exact same picture. If I had to choose which one was better, I would choose the bandai one since i like the touch ups and color scheme of the box than imais. But to me, seriously, it doesnt even look like ur collecting it for the boxart. You're just collecting the older one no matter the box art... :huh:

Actually, I also love the old Yoshiyuki Takani box art on the old 1982-3 Imai and Arri Macross kits. More recently in the late 1990's Takani also did the wonderful box art on the Wave 1/72 Mac 7 kits (best VF-17 battroid illustration ever IMO). I've got both of Takani's art books and they are worth picking up if you can find them.

Yuji Kaida (of 1/55 VE-1 & VT-1 box art fame) also did some beautiful box art on 4 of the old Bandai 1985 Macross kits. These are some of the hardest Bandai Macross kits to find.

And of course Tenjin's box art on the Hasegawa Macross kits is mind-blowing. I've stated many times on these forums, that if Hasegawa were to release a book of Tenjin's Macross art, printed on high quality glossy paper, I would buy it in a heart beat.

Graham

And of course Tenjin's box art on the Hasegawa Macross kits is mind-blowing. I've stated many times on these forums, that if Hasegawa were to release a book of Tenjin's Macross art, printed on high quality glossy paper, I would buy it in a heart beat.

Graham

I would kill for a Hasegawa Macross artbook... :o

To me, it looks like ur just keeping the older ones... which usually are rarer. IMO, it has nothing to do with the boxart since they both pretty much have the exact same picture. If I had to choose which one was better, I would choose the bandai one since i like the touch ups and color scheme of the box than imais. But to me, seriously, it doesnt even look like ur collecting it for the boxart. You're just collecting the older one no matter the box art... :huh:

or maybe he's just bored. i got three kids for you... that'll keep you busy.

I also collect for the box art. I am also an artist so maybe I can appreciate it from that viewpoint?

I plan on building them some day, but with 187 different Macross models alone (not including Southern Cross and Mospeada) I probably will never finish :)

Here is Takani's book, from this website:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/art_takani.htm

Its an awesome book. He also did art for the Nichimo Models which are also fun to collect.

I love the art for the Bandai 1985 re-releases also. They are my favorite to collect :) I have 13 of 18? that I know of.

Old school Macross box art is great. I recently bought two of the Mikimoto boxed 1/100 scale batroids just for the boxes. The models inside them aren't worth my time but I can remember the box art from when I was a kid, and that was enough of a reason to shell out $5.00 each for them.

somebody should say somehing in the wanted section. All my old boxes do is hold spare parts and unfinished kits as it is. IF they would be a welcome addition to somebody elses collection I'd happily let them go. Wait... let me refrase that... I'd be happy to trade empty model boxes for empty toy boxes ;) . Heck, for the right toy box I'd send a model boxes with the kits inside LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the second Yoshiyuki Takani book -Wonder Art: Takani Style (2002) and its even better than the Roman Album (1983). There are many more pictures up through 2002 of Gundam, L-Gaim, Sci fi, Godzilla, tanks, WWII aircraft, and even a Nausicaa painting he did in 1984.

Graham was right, its really worth picking up :)