I liked watching Warren's art develop at first. I think his art peaked with Plague of Angels, then it went downhill from there. He started drawing his characters more simplified and with too many exaggerated anime expressions and features. His art is pretty appalling to look at now.

I wouldn't mind seeing a live-action movie if done right.

Ah Dirty Pair, after Macross my favorite series. The story of how Warren got to do the DP series is interesting in itself. When Warren was at the Kurbert Art School, he hit a slump and was about to quit, but something changed his mind, Anime and Manga. His fav was the Dirty Pair, despite the fact he couldn't understand a word of it. Well he talked to Toren Smith about talking to Takachiho about doing a comic version of the Dirty Pair. Takachiho didn't mind but said the designs he was shown (based on the TV series) had to be changed to avoid any legal issues Sunrise might have. So Warren changed them and based the personalities on what he thought they were saying, when he learned what they were really saying, he was rather suprised and shocked. Due to creative differences, Smith stopped helping Warren with the script after the first series.

I never really liked what Warren did myself, he seemed to lose what the concept of what the Dirty Pair was.

Personally myself i liked the Classic Version (the TV and OAV series). I also have the a translation of the first Dirty Pair story. It was done for Japanese Students to learn English, but it does have a glaring error, the birthdate of Kei is wrong and its the same date Warren has for Kei, seems he was using that book for help as well.

The best site for DP info is Teatime in Elenore City. The web address is www.elenorecity.com/index.html I would insert it, but me and the system are having a disagreement and its winning.

Also next month is the Pairs birthday. In Feb it will be 26 years since they first appeared in a Japanese Sci-Fi Mag (can't remember the name).

Ja Ne,

Cruel Angel's Thesis

I've seen two Dirty Pair things.

1) This movie... it was pretty bad dealt with Hypnosis and stuff... dubbed by Streamline

2) the first DVD or Original Dirty Pair I bought on cheap at the Brick... love it

Oh I also read part of a graphic novel by that warren guy but it sucked.

Um... I'd love to see more.

Streamline Pictures dubbed three Dirty Pair films, Affair on Nolandia, Flight 005 Conspiracy, and Project Eden. Affair on Nolandia was crap, and I really didn't care for it. But it introduced me to the Dirty Pair. I also liked the voice actors they used for the Streamline dub. When ADV acquired the license, I was hoping they would be able to use the same actresses as in the Streamline release. However, this was not to be. At least this time we got a Japanese language track.

As for the classic television series ADV is selling now, haven't gotten around to buying them yet. I will have to rent those to see if they are worth buying.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

• 12 years later...

They are on my list to get. I think I was going to get them with an Amazon buy 2 get 1 free discount sometime ago. Either those or the Ghost in the Shell books. I can't remember which. But I have so much to read and do I haven't picked them up yet.

The last Dirty Pair item I got was the complete artbook. I love the series even though I haven't seen all the episodes yet.

I suppose I'm in the minority as I did like Warren's DP comics... up to & including Grand Mal. After that, I drifted to other interests...

23 hours ago, TehPW said:

I suppose I'm in the minority as I did like Warren's DP comics... up to & including Grand Mal. After that, I drifted to other interests...

I liked the Dirty Pair comic. At least what I read of it. I think what I still have is incomplete. From what I remember there were two series? I put it on my list to get the issues I'm missing one day. I still haven't gotten around to it. I just remember that they were drawn differently and the comic was darker and more violent than what I saw of the anime. And at that point I had only seen I believe Project Eden, the OVA's opening, a few artbooks, and posters.

It was a different time back then. Anime was still new and pretty underground I guess you could say. Almost anything related to anime, or at least anime I though was cool I would try. I even got and still have the Robotech comics.

• 1 month later...

Wow.  This is an old thread.

I'll just chime in to say that the original Dirty Pair just never clicked for me.  I tried to watch a couple of the movies and just didn't enjoy them.  I've never seen the series, comics, or any novels.

I do like Dirty Pair Flash, though.  I think the second OAV (the Worlds World story) is the best one.  I enjoyed Touma as a supporting character.  The random stories of the Random Angels OAV were mostly fun too.    

I have mixed feelings about the first OAV as it was played a bit too serious and straight.  I liked Dirty Pair flash better when it was being a bit wacky.  I felt the show did a good balancing act and served as a bridge between western action adventure animation and anime, and kind of flipped the bird at both as it drove by.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...