Medicom/Hot Toys and all 1/6 scale figures

EXO

Yeah, definitely avoid glycerine in terms of contact with rubber. As shdw stated, it's rediculously viscous, and thanks to the prominence of -OH bonds in its structure, it can actually end up bonding to and damaging the surface of the rubber tires over time, due to rubber's core make up of hydrocarbon polymers.

I'd actually suggest, based on what I've gotten from organic chemistry, some type of UV resistant coating. UV light can actually cause cracking in rubber over time, although that might be more common sense than anything else :p

Hope that helps a bit. Don't mind me if that didn't make any sense :D

Well the chemistry part kinda flew over my head, but I got the gist of it. :lol:

UV shouldn't be an issue, as I keep my display room darkened with heavy curtains. The only thing that might be an issue are the desiccants in the air from the constant air-conditioning.

The windshield wipers are not articulated, so don't try to move them lol.

So glad I didn't try to force them.

Have to repaint the bottom board. The tumbler back wheels reacted to the paint finish and pealed off some of the paint. Gladly nothing is wrong with the wheels, just the back wheels need to be propped up on something. Gotta find some dark/black plates to lift up the back wheels.

BTW GU-11 Don't put your tumbler on a surface with a finish on it.

Info from another board:

"Warning Tumbler Owners!!!

I just recently found out something horrific from a friend on youtube reguarding The Tumblers wheels when they stay in contact with furniture that has a finish on it .

Here's his comment

Bro don't display this on furniture with a finish on it my tumbler wheels ate the finish and I had to clean Polly off the wheels. No I have a few books propped under the belly to keep wheels from touching the surface, just a heads up"

Man, thanks for the warning, Kicker!

I'm currently placing the Tumbler on top of my MALM three-drawer chest. Not sure if the surface has a finish on it or not, but it says birch veneer. Is that bad?

It's still got the plastic wrapping on the wheels, though. I might have to get something to hold up the bottom of the car, just in case. I just hope the bottom plate of the Tumbler is strong enough.

That last part is gold when read in the yelling Bat-Bale voice B))

LOL! It HAS to be read in Bale's patented Bat-growl!

Man, thanks for the warning, Kicker!

I'm currently placing the Tumbler on top of my MALM three-drawer chest. Not sure if the surface has a finish on it or not, but it says birch veneer. Is that bad?

It's still got the plastic wrapping on the wheels, though. I might have to get something to hold up the bottom of the car, just in case. I just hope the bottom plate of the Tumbler is strong enough.

LOL! It HAS to be read in Bale's patented Bat-growl!

does it have a chemical finish on it?

Just thought I'd post a pic of my new(ish) acquisition here. I'm planning to get a glass or acrylic case to protect it soon, though.

BTW, that 3-drawer chest used to be my makeshift modeling desk.

And sorry about the low-rez pic; taken using my smartphone.

post-12898-0-80928100-1349172962_thumb.jpg

I gotta ask, why is Unit one more expensive than unit two? It seems as though they both come with a similar amount of stuff, and pretty much share a similar structure.

they're not, they both have a list price of ¥23,619 and a sale price of ¥18,895. unit one is on order stop though so it's showing the list price only and not the sale price.

they're not, they both have a list price of ¥23,619 and a sale price of ¥18,895. unit one is on order stop though so it's showing the list price only and not the sale price.

Ah, didn't notice that, thanks. SO I take it these will be fairly tall, around 12 inches?

Ah, didn't notice that, thanks. SO I take it these will be fairly tall, around 12 inches?

They should, considering the price of these things.

@ anime42k8:

Do the umbilical cables plug into anything, like a socket or building/charging station, or something? IMO, it'd look pretty stupid just dangling there.

BTW, did they put real rubber over the arms? Looks great, but wear and tear might be an issue. Not crazy about the PlayArts Kai style knees, either.

They should, considering the price of these things.

@ anime42k8:

Do the umbilical cables plug into anything, like a socket or building/charging station, or something? IMO, it'd look pretty stupid just dangling there.

BTW, did they put real rubber over the arms? Looks great, but wear and tear might be an issue. Not crazy about the PlayArts Kai style knees, either.

they haven't shown anything for the umbilical to plug into so I doubt it will have anything (so it'll be like 99% of all evangelion figures ever). Not sure how they're doing the joints, most of the body looks to be a covered in a vinyl/leatherette body suit, but the arms are probably rubber.

:edit:

anyways, couple of other observations about these: there's some indication that Unit 01 at least will use either florescent or glow in the dark paint for the green parts, not sure about Unit 02 though. as for accessories, unit 1 and 2 both come with an umbilical cable and two entry plugs (for inserted vs uninserted display). Unit 1 will have 1 pallet rifle, 1 prog knife and an AT field effect part. Unit on the other hand will have 2 pallet rifles, 2 prog knifes and Sahaquiel's core for it to stab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0PFuz5tJQ8

Edited by anime52k8

they haven't shown anything for the umbilical to plug into so I doubt it will have anything (so it'll be like 99% of all evangelion figures ever). Not sure how they're doing the joints, most of the body looks to be a covered in a vinyl/leatherette body suit, but the arms are probably rubber.

I wonder if those little Tomytec buildings will scale in well enough with the EVA's. If the umbilical cable is long enough, one might be able to customize a socket station from one of those buildings. If the cables are long enough to coil around the floor, that'd be fine, but if they're so short that they don't dangle past the knees, I'd rather display the EVA's without them...not that I'm planning to buy one.

As for the arms, Hot Toys experimented with something similar with their exclusive T-1000 Sarah Connor fig. It had a layer of rubber skin over the whole arm. Sadly, problems occured with stretching and potential tearing. Not sure how the EVA's rubber sleeves might hold up.

hot toys have done the painted rubber skin thing on lots of figures in the past. honestly, I'd be more concerned with the vinyl body suits falling apart/the inner body becoming brittle and disintegrating over time (I don't trust Medicom at all)

And this is why I stay away from most 1/6 figure lines.

honestly, I'd be more concerned with the vinyl body suits falling apart/the inner body becoming brittle and disintegrating over time (I don't trust Medicom at all)

Their Vader fig comes to mind. Lot of complaints of flaking black leather. Plenty of reported joint problems on their Kamen Riders,too.

I believe medicom's new Eva's will be about 39cm or about 15.35 inches tall. Pretty huge if you ask me. I have to say Unit 02 is really calling for me, but I'd like to some reviews before I ever buy a medicom piece.

It's that red. That glossy red just looks gorgeous in pictures. TBH, I've always much preferred the design of Unit 01 over all the other EVA's but the rebuild colors on unit 2 look so good.

Yeah, 15 inches is pretty awesome. Might just drop a pre-order on this. Always wanted a really good eva figure, but the perfect grade never really cut it for me, with all its issues, etc.

And I know what you guys mean. I've also always preferred unit 01, thinking unit 02 to be fairly hideous, but the medicom one makes it look really good. Especially that duel pallet pose :D

EDIT: I was wondering, you guys are talking a lot about "Medicom's issues". I'm not really familiar with Medicom as I am with Hot Toys, is Medicom an issue prone company or something?

Edited by Archer

EDIT: I was wondering, you guys are talking a lot about "Medicom's issues". I'm not really familiar with Medicom as I am with Hot Toys, is Medicom an issue prone company or something?

Let's just say Medicom is kind of like Justin Hammer to HT's Tony Stark. :p

The reason they're still afloat is mostly due to the fact that they hold licenses to the Star Wars and Kamen Rider franchises...that's what I've been hearing, anyway.

I've never bought a Medicom fig, so I don't personally know about the issues, but I've read a lot of complaints about them.

I have some old Medicom Ultraman figures that come with vinyl body suits and they are holding fine.

The rubber quality is very nice. It´has been 10 years already and no signs of deterioration. I can´t say the same about the leather fabric.

My Vader, Kamen Rider and two other Medicoms had the leather suit desintegration.

So, just stay away with Medicom figures that come with leather suit.

I never wanted these... nowhere to put them and they're so pricey... but finding it hard to resist the Iron Man Mk VII preorder...

Main question is how interchangeable are the previous versions? For example if I wanted one of the opening mask heads. Yikes, they go for a large amount of evilbay....

I found out about Enterbay before I heard about Hot Toys. But they were doing 1/4 scale at the time.

I wish someone would make a 1/6 scale Elliot and E.T. on a 1/6 scale BMX bike. That would make a great display against a lit up moon background.

Aw, fcuk this, man! I just got news that HT's cutting it's orders for TDKR DX12 Batman, Catwoman and Iron Man Mark I, among other things by 15%, supposedly to reign in QC issues and prevent the lowering of secondary market prices. :angry:

I just hope the store I ordered from has enough DX12's for me to get my hands on one. Can't believe this sh!t. And I thought Bandai was bad at supplying stock. For all I know, fcuking HT probably learned this from Bandai.