Medicom/Hot Toys and all 1/6 scale figures

EXO

Maybe it her way of comprising with you having a toy collection. Actions figures are cheap and makes it look you haven't grown up. They man-doll look like expensive collectibles.

Oh of course it is. I do have a problem with impulse buying a lot of cheap stuff (or not so cheap, sometimes in the case of the stuff I get from Japan :eek: ). She's trying to focus me in to just buying stuff that might be worth something some day.

@Vostok 7

It's like collecting porcelain dolls, on some level it's still "weird/creepy" but it's not an "immature" hobby like collecting "toys". I wouldn't really say they're an investment though, I mean would you buy antique furniture and what not as an investment?

It's really too bad you can't still walk into stores and find decent quality 1/6 merchandise anymore. 21st century had some really great stuff towards the end of their life. Sure the head sculpts were never any good but the clothing and accessories were almost on par with HT. Even Joe had a few select items that were pretty damn good. HT could really use some main stream competition.

My coworkers make fun of me, and call my 1/6 scale figures as "dolls" or "man dolls". One in particular is a figure that I was hoping Hot Toys, Medicom or Takara would make; what I would call Young Solid Snake - Shadow Moses Version. So far no word and I've only seen the Old Snake from MGS4. I've been working on this for a while, taking pieces here & there, and I think it's about 80% done without weathering. I still need the "box", claymores, Nikita launcher, ketchup bottle, rope, silken hankerchief, camera, PAN & PAL key cards, and mine detector.

I've inquired about tailoring help from Tactical Tailor but I guess they do not make 1/6 scale clothes for toys, LOL. The funny thing is that I see the logos on Soldier Story boxes. If you guys know of tailors who specializes on 1/6 clothes let me know. I'm looking for materials similar to the Chris Redfield vest.

What do you guys think?

0921_rev.jpg

0916_rev.jpg

0909_rev.jpg

0913_rev.jpg

0924_rev.jpg

Looks great. Do you actually have a MK23 with silencer? I like the cigs, that's attention to detail! I ran across a set that actually had a pack and not just the individuals. You should make an alternate smoking head or something :D

I assume you visit http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/ ? Is there no good 1/6th tailoring "how to"s over there?

Thanks bluemax151 and badboy00z. I'll join up 1/6 warrior forums. The head is based on the Ronaldo figure, it's as close as I can get to a young Solid Snake. Everyone today are all in to the MGS2 head scheme. Hideo Kojima envisioned young Solid Snake to have a face like Christopher Walken. Unfortunately the pixelation of MGS couldn't show the face. The 1/6 Konami version had Solid looking like Ben stiller.

Thanks also for the recommendation, I'll create a packet of cigarettes and maybe a smoking version of the head. Yes, this figure does have the MK23 with the silencer and laser pointer.

• 3 weeks later...

My coworkers make fun of me, and call my 1/6 scale figures as "dolls" or "man dolls". One in particular is a figure that I was hoping Hot Toys, Medicom or Takara would make; what I would call Young Solid Snake - Shadow Moses Version. So far no word and I've only seen the Old Snake from MGS4. I've been working on this for a while, taking pieces here & there, and I think it's about 80% done without weathering. I still need the "box", claymores, Nikita launcher, ketchup bottle, rope, silken hankerchief, camera, PAN & PAL key cards, and mine detector.

I've inquired about tailoring help from Tactical Tailor but I guess they do not make 1/6 scale clothes for toys, LOL. The funny thing is that I see the logos on Soldier Story boxes. If you guys know of tailors who specializes on 1/6 clothes let me know. I'm looking for materials similar to the Chris Redfield vest.

What do you guys think?

Well you pretty much got everything right except for the face. It's a little too japanese looking for the character, it doesnt match the lineart much at all and doesn't really resemble big boss or solid snake like it should. If you can do a recast or sculpt of the face that matches the character it would be perfect IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Apparently, there's Hot Toys Expo in progress at Tokyo, right now. There's alot pictures of the expo floating around the web right now.

http://www.moeyo.com/2010/12/hottoys-10th_newrelease.html

Holy Smokes.

i'm still hoping for a Jim Raynor in Terran Marine armor. in the meantime, i'll be sated with the Tron Lightcycle (why are they making Jeff Bridges before Olivia Wilde?! :rolleyes: ) and Stane's bulky iron suit. which reminds me, i need to get War Machine out of the box, can't believe i've kept it in there for over a month :wacko:

They hardly ever and if they did, it would be changed somehow. I don't think they'll reissue the Appleseed figures. I don't think they did that great. If anything they should reissue the ED-209 but at this point it would probably cost $100 more to produce it. You shoulda checked my for sale thread. I was selling the Appleseed figs basically at cost. Someone picked up Deunan and I think Briareos is spoken for but for a bit more than retail.

• 4 months later...

That Chris Reeve Superman is like the ultimate of all Superman Toys. There's a stand that comes with it (I think comes with it). It's a piece of the fortress of Solitude. It's so awesome.

Nah as awesome as that is I will be more than happy with a Mk. IV and War Machine.

Have them both and they are great. The IV looks WAY better than cyborg looking MK III (have that too, might sell to get new WM MK III). Tempted to get the VI but I should wait for the Avanger version... I think... (must not give in :wacko: ).

BTW, careful with the abdomen joint on Warmachine; read that it can break. Forgot if it broke when bend holding it in a certain way or if you pulled the head off while grabbing it by the legs.

I currently own Sideshow Collectibles 1/6 scale General Skywalker and Captain Rex. Also Exclusive Snake Eyes and Exclusive Flint in their GI Joe line. I was owned and sold all my Hot Toys collections: Iron Man Mark III, Batman Dark Knight Costume, Joker Bank Robber Costume, T700, T600, John Connor and John Conner Final Battle. And Medicom's Snake with Croc helmet. IMO, Hot Toys are pricey but of all the 1/6 scale brands but they make the best figures in the biz. Head sculp is second to none. They look like the actor they are portraying. Sideshow's head sculpt isn't the greatest. Medicom is a hit and miss because the Snake figure I got, some joints were loose.

It's funny that as kid I just wanted a resemblance of the character or actor. But now they have gotten so good that people are starting to nitpick every little bit. Yes they are pricey, at the demands of their fans for accuracy, I'm surprised they don't cost $600. These are underpriced for what they are. There's no precedence for something like these things for under $200. I think even the Enterbay stuff were above that mark at the time Hot toys started making movie figures. Not sure. But the Indy and Jack figures would normally cost a collector way above $500. At the same time I find people that collect Hot Toys a little bit insane, unless they are filthy rich.