1/48 YF-21 Recast.

scand

Well, Got my kits today! I've been looking forward to these for a long time. Major props to Myersjesse and MSLZ22 for picking these backup after the initial project.

The kits are a little intimidating at first escpecially if youv'e never worked with resin before. It's not that bad though! I can see were mechamaniac was complaining about vacuming resin dust. I'm going to be coughing that poo up for the next week.

The Yf-21 and YF-19 are simply beautiful. Though both kits need some major clean up. There is alot of flash to sand away and like every one has seemed to say, the pieces just don't automatically fit together. The 21 alone wil probably take a tube of putty to fill in the gaps. Not knocking the work that went in to these though. These kits are simply amazing! Also, huge to say the least. The 21 dwarfs a 1/48 Yamato.

Well This is going to be my first buildup on MW so any suggestions are welcome.

post-23-1105846017_thumb.jpg

More cleanup.

Pretty much all of the pieces have alot of flash like the piece below. One thing I found though, is that the resin is real easy to sand. Suprisingly, It holds up very well too! It's nothing compared to working with a Hasegawa.

post-23-1105846157_thumb.jpg

Edited by scand

I just finished this and the YF-19. Do yourself and your lungs a big favor, were a surgical mask or respirator of some sort. Don't mess around resin dust. Enjoy the kit and I look forward build up. I will pop in if I have any advice.

Danm snail mail. i still havnt gotten mine yet. i was hoping to have them by this weekend. its a 3 day weekend. looking good though it lets me see where ill have to put the most work into it.

did you get the 19 as well or just the 21?

Danm snail mail. i still havnt gotten mine yet. i was hoping to have them by this weekend. its a 3 day weekend. looking good though it lets me see where ill have to put the most work into it.

did you get the 19 as well or just the 21?

Yeah, I Got the 19 too!. I'm starting to wish I would have done that one first. The 19 has alot less major pieces. The cleanup process my have been easier.

I hope you get your kits soon. They're fun and a challenge to build.

i look forward to seeing your buildup of this, by the way are these kits still available for sale? if so how much are they and who do i need to contact?

thanks

chris

Scand.

since your doing the build up on the 21 let me have the privalage of doing the buildup on the 19. i have a technique i want to showcase on making the sensors on the nose clear red.

Mr. HWR MKII , I really admire your work and I would love to see a build up. I've never done a resin kit and I want to start on the Cat's Eye recast that I recently got. So I really, reeeeally want you to do a build up so I can apply what I learn to my kit.

Mr. Scand, it looks like you really know what your doing, too. Thanks for the buildup. I will be watching with great interest.

Gabe Q

I have started my build thread on the 19 i dont want to take away from scands build up but in a way this mirrors the competition in the animation. Two aircraft being made at the same time.

Scand

i wish you the best of luck on the 21. i see what you mean abou the intakes. This shouldnt be a problem though.

I dont want to hijack Scands thread so if anyone has any questions for me please PM me or post them in the 19 build thread.

Sean

I've done a little bit more work. I decided to take the time to build the landing gear up. It still not the way I want it but it's coming along.

Heres a pick of the front gear doors close. I think after a paint job and a good wash these will look ok.

post-23-1106454965.jpg

Try to use gap filling super glue or bondo. if that doesnt work try to debond the canopy piece and refine the fit a bit more. The problem using plastic model putty on a resin kit is that it will not bond to the resin. On plastic kite the putty is supposed to lightly melt the plastic and stick, thats why i use gap filling super glue and bondo.

Edited by HWR MKII

i listed some things in my thread that you could use. I started work on my 21 as well and all i can say is the thing is a BRICK!!! It weighs a ton and gap filling superglue with bondo are definitely needed.

Edited by HWR MKII

i listed some things in my thread that you could use. I started work on my 21 as well and all i can say is the thing is a BRICK!!! It weighs a ton and gap filling superglue with bondo are definitely needed.

In your opinion, do you think the 19 was easier or tougher to build?

as far as fit the 19 was a better build. there were no real fit problems aside from the intakes but those are mostly hidden. the 19 is a little more fragile though in terms of construction.

the 21 on the other hand has more fit problems. the canopy piece, the wing to fuselage fit, the intake fronts, the bulged pieces down the sides. and the big wedge shaped piece on the botton all required some carving and shaping. i had to razor saw almost a 1/4 inch off of one side of the wedge piece so it would fit period and the panel lines would line up.

in terms of fit the 19 gets a 9, the 21 gets a 7 and the VF-1 recast gets a 9.5. i base this all on the amount of carving and filling i have to do on the pieces not the amount of putty used to blend them.

i know im wrambling now but as a last note to anyone who has these kits. these are recasts and in that the pieces get slightly larger and clearances get tighter because of this. fit problems are to be expected so do not let it put you off from building resin kits.

P.S. im also scratch building some gunpods for my 21 since it didnt come with any.

While your scratch building those gunpods, Can you scratch build some fast packs to go alon with them? :D

The biggest issues for me on the 21 were the wedge shaped piece, the wings mating up to the fuselage, and the canopy I think Has taken the most time.

As far as points for the VF1 recast I'll have to agree that it's a recast and therefore has some flwas. I'm used to working with resin updatesets for aircraft and I can say that the fit and reshaping is well within the to be aspected lines B))

As far as putty goes, I always tend to us plastic to fill up big seams, which seems to work for me.

Anyhow, just my 2c

Scand

We are neck and neck on the 21. im going to start base paint tomorrow. I found the best example/guide to paint this monster is WMchengs build up.

Sean

Man, I so wanted to try that paint scheme out. I'm a little intimidated by it though. That is the best looking Macross Model I've ever seen! I've saved every picture to my harddrive of that thing. I'm still contimplating painting the recast that way.

Beetween Eat, sleep, Work, and the occasional trip to the gym, I'm having a hard time find any time to work on the 21. I'll hopefully have updated pics this weekend. I think I'm going to start painting tommorow.