MACROSS/ROBOTECH DVDs...

BOUNTY HAUNTER

Hey, all...

This is my first post on this forum, so...hi!

I've been a Macross/Robotech fan for years and now that I've heard the AnimEigo DVDs were going to be discontinued as of 12/31, I figure I should get off my procrastinating ass and buy them up while I can.

So my question is...which DVD sets are "supposedly" the best to own?

They've repackaged these sets in so many different variations, that I'm not sure what's the best one.

You've got the complete Legacy set in 7 volumes...

67_1.JPG

You've got the "Re-Mastered" sets in 7 volumes...

drt1d1.jpg

...and then there's the complete seasons wrapped in 3 volumes...

ROBOTECTMACROSSCOMPLETE.jpgROBOTECHMASTERCOMPLETECOL.jpg20_1_b.JPG

...and then there's these Macross SDF sets in 3 volumes...

av002230.jpg

...the Southern Cross boxed set...

southerncrossboxdvd.jpg

...and of course, the Mospeada boxed set...

APR033888.jpg

Whew! What the hell?? :lol:

So what's the best set for a hardcore fan to buy? I realize that the "Collection" sets are probably just the "Legacy" DVDs packaged together, and that the "SDF", "Southern Cross", and "Mospeada" sets are imports.

So what's the difference between all these? It's very hard to find lists of special features and so-forth. Which set offers the most hardcore bang for the buck?

Any input would be appreciated. And if there's a thread somewhere that already breaks all this down...feel free to point it out. There are 30 pages of posts in the "newbie FAQ", so I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

Thanks!

Animeigo's are the only "true" representation of Macross available in the states. They're sub-only, but remastered, etc. The Robotech DVDs are just that, Robotech. So I guess the main question is are you looking for Macross or are you looking for Robotech? If you're looking for Macross then you have your answer, if you're looking for RT, well, I'm not at all familiar with the RT dvds so I can't really help you there.

well if you want to see SDF Macross (not the Robotech version) get the Animeigo sets

if you want to see Southern Cross (not the Robotech version) get the Southern Cross set

if you want to see Mospeada (not the Robotech version) get the MOspeada set

if you want to see Robotech, either get the Legacy set (which contains a bonus dvd in each set) or if you prefer 5.1 sound, get the Remastered set. I believe the Saga sets are just straight up no frills

simple, ne?

:D

Edited by Jagull

Hmm.

Ok. So now I think we're getting to the heart of my confusion in all this...

It was my understanding that the Animeigo versions of Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada were all basically the same exact animation as the Robotech sets, except in they're in Japanese with subtitles and perhaps have a few scenes included that were cut out for the U.S. Robotech presentation.

You guys seem to make it sound like the Animeigo DVDs and the Robotech DVDs are two completely different animals. What exactly is the difference?

...and on the Robotech side of things...

Jagull: I'm inferring from your statement that the 5.1 sound enhancement is the only real frill of the Remastered set. The features say they include "bonus footage". Is this the same bonus footage included in the extra discs of the Legacy sets?

Aghh! It's all so confusing! :lol:

Edited by BOUNTY HAUNTER

...and while we're at it...

What is this?

f4_1_b.JPG71_1_b.JPG

The "Macross TV Series Perfect Collection DVD Set".

I'm guessing this is basically the uncut, Japanese version of the Robotech Macross series. So how is this different from the Animiego SDF set?

So many questions... :blink:

The "Macross TV Series Perfect Collection DVD Set".

I'm guessing this is basically the uncut, Japanese version of the Robotech Macross series. So how is this different from the Animiego SDF set?

That's probably a HK bootleg cuz there ain't a Japanese version readily avaliable. HK bootlegs are normally inferior in quality to their licensed counterparts.

That's what I thought.

But it also says "This is a 100% Brand New, Factory Sealed Anime of Macross TV Series Perfect Collection DVD . These are not dvd-r, vcd or copies."

So...hm.

I suppose anyone could call their home a "factory", though. ;)

Here's the thing.

HK (well, mostly from Taiwan nowadays) bootleg sets in a round about way IS "factory sealed", becuase they do mass produce them.

They're still bootlegs since Big West doesn't get a dime from the being sold.

Back to your basic question.

The SDF Macross, SDC Southern Cross, and GC Mospead are NOT "just basically RT in japanese", since that simply cannot exist as RT never existed in Japan.

Thus those sets are the original series uncut, unedited containing the original story.

Bascially you'll have to ask yourself this:

Do you want Robotech, or the original series?

It's a 5-disc with English subs. Japanese DVD-versions of Macross don't have English subs and don't come in 5-disc sets. So it's definitely a bootleg.

Here's the listing on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

The SDF Macross, SDC Southern Cross, and GC Mospead are NOT "just basically RT in japanese", since that simply cannot exist as RT never existed in Japan.

More to the point, RT would not exists without those 3 inidvidual series.

If you get Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada, you are getting the originals, period. If you get RT, you get the bastardized version of those 3 series, which I would consider, a waste of money. Unless you like RT, then your money would be better spent on the Complete or Remastered sets of RT.

Edited by azrael

Jagull:  I'm inferring from your statement that the 5.1 sound enhancement is the only real frill of the Remastered set.  The features say they include "bonus footage".  Is this the same bonus footage included in the extra discs of the Legacy sets?

from robotech.com

Remastered -

"See the entire Robotech series completely remastered across SEVEN box sets, each containing 2 DVDs featuring at least 12 episodes painstakingly restored with extended footage and 5.1 digital surround sound! Bonus discs are NOT included."

I've only seen the first 2 volumes of the Macross Saga, not much in the way of bonus footage cept for Minmay's butt when she's taking a shower & some drinking scenes (?)

---

Legacy -

"Each of the SEVEN Legacy Collection box sets come with 3 DVDs. Two of the DVDs contain a total of at least 12 episodes and the third "bonus" DVD in each box set is loaded with extras such as production materials and rare footage."

"Robotech II: The Sentinels is only available as part of Legacy box set 3."

from the 2 volumes of Remastered i saw, no production bonuses were included

Edited by Jagull

Sheesh.

So I guess that's what I'm coming to grips with...

"Robotech never existed in Japan".

See, now I was always under the impression that Robotech exited in Japan first. It was simply called Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada, with different music and a few extra scenes that were cut from it's American presentation. I always thought Carl Macek and Harmony Gold simply lifted the animation from Japan, edited it, re-scored it, and dubbed it.

That's what I've always thought.

So you're telling me that the original Japanese (Animeigo version) stories feature completely different animation and storytelling from what we know as Robotech here in the States?

So if I purchase some of the Animeigo DVDs, I'm going to be seeing something completely different from the animation in Robotech?

Sheesh.

So I guess that's what I'm coming to grips with...

"Robotech never existed in Japan".

See, now I was always under the impression that Robotech exited in Japan first. It was simply called Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada, with different music and a few extra scenes that were cut from it's American presentation. I always thought Carl Macek and Harmony Gold simply lifted the animation from Japan, edited it, re-scored it, and dubbed it.

That's what I've always thought.

So you're telling me that the original Japanese (Animeigo version) stories feature completely different animation and storytelling from what we know as Robotech here in the States?

So if I purchase some of the Animeigo DVDs, I'm going to be seeing something completely different from the animation in Robotech?

Easiest way to answer this is to read this thread. Animation is the same, Robotech altered the story.

Thank You Thank You Thank You!

Ace, you rock. This is exactly the info I've been looking for. Thank God somebody took the time to explain all this.

I'm still reading it, but I finally feel like I'll be able to decipher all these different DVDs now.

Thanks!

Back to reading...

i figured they were bootlegs, i did have a winning bid on one of that seller's macross dvds, it was 9.99 starting bid and i almost won, but she canceled the auction with minutes to go and told me she the set was damaged and that she would not be able to get it for me, then she promptly relists it with a $19.99 starting price.

whatever, i didn't mind paying the $10 + shipping to see how it compares with my animego set. but not $20+

she's on my list of boycotts

now she's got it with M0

new crap

Edited by Chowser

Avoid the 'Re-Mastered' RT like the plague/flu/old-folks home!!! The colors have been altered so badly that it looks positvely horrid! I mean the colors are so increased that they blur badly and they simply were not designed to be altered and it REALLY shows. Having the better sound isn't worth it.

Well maybe if you just play the sound tracks and then you are better off renting it and then ripping those tracks off so you can play them on a cd player instead of wasting time with a tv & dvd player. :p

Besides the 'Legacy' version is clearly superior even though it is bigger.

Definately go for the AnimEigo sets, and then the Mospeada set. Robotech is something best left in the past, and far too painful to watch, especially as an adult. The HK set there listed is the FX bootleg of AnimEigo's set. Perhaps an alternative for those looking to pick up the series when it's unavailable in a couple years, but it's still easily enough found officially now.

I did, but not for Macross. I was really a huge New Generation/MOSPEADA fan, and had a bunch of the original Japanese toys that for some strange reason I was always able to find in my local toystore.

I didn't really become a Macross fan until I saw DYRL? in 1991.

I never said I didn't watch robotech, I just said it didn't age very well. As an adult trying to watch it, it became too much of an ordeal. The shitty acting & music, force together attempt at canon, etc.

My point being, Macross, despite its animation limitations, has aged much better, and as such is the definative purchase.

I'll second that... GF's brother has the robotech DVDs and when I watched them, I found myself wondering why I ever liked it... it was just plain embarassing.

But now that I'm watching the Macross DVDs from Animego, I feel like the story is still solid.

My fond childhood memories are thus justified and vindicated!

Edited by eugimon

I didn't watched robotech when I was a child, but some years ago and I disliked it, i didn't even know about the actual original 3 animes, robotech TMS may have the Macross animations but is really "different"(worse), same thing for robotech NG and Mospeada.

Stay away from the RT DVDs. :p

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...