The Cruise Chaser Blassty Repositry

I think we tried this before, but recent o/t interest in a cosplay thread about Blassty has urged me to try this again. Hopefully, this thread will become a repository for Blassty images, information and such, all of which is fairly obscure.

Here are the posts from the other thread:

Why do I get a feeling Exo is gonna plug his thread from another board soon...  :p

Who me? I'm not that EXO.... that's the other EXO from Dirkadirkastan...

Actually I want more pics like this:

1104290742571.jpg

Cool, where did you get that pic Exo?
Cool, where did you get that pic Exo?

The girl looks like Misato. Eva-01 concept art?

thats a sweet pic >EXO<!

whats it from? i love those candid mech shots..

It's an old 80's game from Square called Cruise Chaser Blassty

knock%20turn.jpg

Wow. how does that thing balance itself?
tripod
I've never seen a mech with a kickstand before :o
So we've seen a Mecha with a kickstand and a mecha with a penis for a cockpit.....god I love ZOE :p
I've never seen a mech with a kickstand before :o

Forget the kickstand! Just watch out for The Knock Turn's emmissions! :ph34r:

I  hope that mech is purely space-based, because it would be ugly to watch trying to manuever in an atmosphere.
Exo- is that from the Blassty book?

I have yet to find a copy of that, as I absolutely love the Blassty designs.

d0od that Cruise Chaser Blassty stuff looks awesome!

what console? never heard of it!

and Jem, once again I have to lay down a "you a mod? stfu then".

thank you

Exo- is that from the Blassty book?

I have yet to find a copy of that, as I absolutely love the Blassty designs.

yeah... I don't have the book either... another one of those holy grails.

here's another:

SPEX-07.jpg

Hey I'd actually like to see more of this Blassty and its kick stand :p That's sorta whacked out that the cockpit is off centeredon the torso.

But in some way that thing reminds me of that Omega Boost game that got like a crap load of hype back in the PS1 days only to really be a big dissapointment to alot of mecha players including myself.

Hey I'd actually like to see more of this Blassty and its kick stand :p That's sorta whacked out that the cockpit is off centeredon the torso.

But in some way that thing reminds me of that Omega Boost game that got like a crap load of hype back in the PS1 days only to really be a big dissapointment to alot of mecha players including myself.

Hikuro- Blassty is like mid-80's. The game graphics weren't nearly as cool as the pen and ink designs.

I think the mecha designs for blassty have been, and always will be, my absolute fave.

I remember well over 15 years ago my friend had a Japanese hobby mag that had a Blassty model which was literally about 1.3-2 inches tall, yet was incredibly detailed. IIRC, they showed it hanging onto a pencil.

Let's keep the Blassty dream alive, don't let this thread die!

Cruise Chaser Blassty is a RPG-ish Square game from 1986 for the PC-88...original mecha design by Nagano Mamoru (L-Gaim, Five Star Stories)...a bit later Akitaka Mika redesigned a number of mecha (tis what the Art of Cruise Chaser Blassty is about)

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~bais_d/blassty/blassty_index.htm

That is a web page that contains several links to lineart scans of the redesigns...also included at the top is pics of the game packageing showing Nagano's Cruise Chaser Blasty design (Nagano's work appeared in the game...Akitaka's work appeared in Hobby Japan, etc..)

I've done tons of searching for Cruise Chaser Blassty...at one point even found a japanese site that had animated .gifs of all the game mech animations, but now the link is dead :( ...but you can still find pics of Nagano's designs by searching through game related sites...pics of the (much cooler IMHO) Akitaka designs seem more difficult to come by.

anyway, as far as I know, there was one resin model kit produced of Akitaka's redesigned Cruise Chaser Blassty...released by Volks in 1/300 scale and could be built in either bot or ship mode.

post-26-1105729185_thumb.jpg

I have a ton of Blassty stuff; I posted some of the art on 4chan a while back, and some of the stuff posted above in this thread looks like some of the stuff I posted. I'll try and post some of the stuff I didn't post in 4chan here.

Awesome, that's most likely where I got it... I was suprised someone was posting Blassty mechs.

My avatar if you haven't noticed is of a 3D model of Cruise Chaser Blassty....

this is where I got the image:

http://myhome.shinbiro.com/~lufy/gallery.html

also if you click on the link to the 1999 3D gallery or here:

http://myhome.shinbiro.com/~lufy/3d1999.html

first image is a 800 by 600 wallpaperable render of this guys 3D blassty model...additionaly there are a couple of little videos of it in action (one showing it transform, the other being chased and shot at)

anyway I used to have the game rom, but it was on the crashed hard drive...never found a emulator that would play it though :p

Another Blassty design:

almost forgot about that one...I used to have an issue of Hobby Japan that featured a couple of scratch built variations on it with tiger/leopard striped paint jobs....very cool :D

got anything else?

Yea, I know the leopard one you are talking about. I'll post some more soon. I have some Tyrant Sword of Neofalia stuff by Fujita I'll be putting up on 4chan soon too.

dang, now that brings back memories :D

I recall haveing four Hobby Japan issues...the one with the tigerstripped mecha on the cover , the one with that 1/86 scratchbuilt CCB on the cover, one with a black and greyish "coleopter"...and the one you just posted......I got them brand new from a now long gone local comics shop (special ordered, this was before Diamond dist pretty much dominated the scene...even then they were hard to get, dunno if those were the only issues featureing CCB...do seem to recall maybe a little piece or two in an issue featureing Tyrant sword mecha on the cover, but I might be wrong about that)

If you have those issues, any chance of scanning the "fan pages" following the CCB articals in the issue? I dunno what they are called ofr sure...but in at least one of those issues I remember a little page to page and a half with what looked like drawings of (some modified) CCB mecha and characters that people had sent in...some of it looked rather crude, but there was some very cool variationa in there...

After seeing so many images of Blassty stuff that I've never seen before, I only have two words:

"Christ almighty."

I wish to hell that Square would get off of their Final Fantasy asses* and make us a new Blassty game! I mean, the designs are still there, and as a mecha fan, I don't mind being the first to say that they are still as valid and marketable today as they were 18 YEARS AGO!!!

*I love FF, don't get me wrong, but Square can do Mecha so well (as you all know, I am a FM freak).

I wish to hell that Square would get off of their Final Fantasy asses* and make us a new Blassty game! I mean, the designs are still there, and as a mecha fan, I don't mind being the first to say that they are still as valid and marketable today as they were 18 YEARS AGO!!!

*I love FF, don't get me wrong, but Square can do Mecha so well (as you all know, I am a FM freak).

WDC-

I totally agree. Square could make an incredible game out of Blassty. I hope someone there realizes they are sitting on some great material here for a game.

WDC-

I totally agree. Square could make an incredible game out of Blassty. I hope someone there realizes they are sitting on some great material here for a game.

Not really into gaming anymore but would love to see some sort of anime or movie... I mean c'mon, this is Square we're talking about... I would love to see some CG action from these ships...

What's the background story like?