Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Vostok 7

Not all of us want to be a Jedi... some of us want to be a storm trooper so we can kill a bunch of people with our blaster rifle. That is what I liked so much about Dark Forces, the first game in the series... you where a normal human commando up against the empire, not some faux-jedi come hero slashing and force gripping your way through the game. If Galaxies where not so freaking boring and pointless I would have liked that game... but alas...

JsARC, it sounds like you want the SW mod for Battlefield1942....if it's ever completed. Other than the fact that it's running on the BF1942 engine, it looks pretty good. I think there were one or two other SW mods out there, but I don't know if any ever got finished. A Clone Wars mod for HL2 would rock, would it not?

I'm still hesitant... mainly because I got so bored with JO's weapons and enemies. You can only shoot so many stormtroopers, greedos and things before you get bored with the game. I can remember when I first played JO... I loved it. The first 4 levels or so were so cool and fun...

... then you got the stupid lightsaber...

Like I said... this game is not for you then. You start with a lightsaber this time around. <_<

And the enemies are the same with just a few variations.

A Clone Wars mod for HL2 would rock, would it not?

Now THAT would be my speed!

Think how cool it would be with you as one of the thousands of clone troopers in the fire line... blaster rounds whizzing by all over the place... walkers behind you belting out support... frenzied combat at it's best! Woooooooo!

I just thought of something...

I want a star wars game that lets me play someone like Han Solo: a smuggler!

Think about it, it would be like a combination of Dark Forces and Privateer! You'd be your own boss and go where you wanted, BlasTech blaster on your hip and some weird alien at your side... you could be the noble legit trader or be a smuggler and deal in arms and drugs!... then blast your way out of trouble! You could upgrade your ship with new things, buy new guns and gear...

That would be sooooooo freaking boss. They could even make some of it online play compatible so you could wheel and deal with other smugglers... or stab them in the back and steal their cargo!

I just did a quick check of the mod database website, and the few SW mods I could find seemed to be MIA. <_< There was one or two mods directly based on the Jedi Knight games, which sounded more like what JsARC wanted.

The problem is, that none of these mods will ever get any offical support from Valve, ID or whomever. Counterstrike and DoD were "new" ideas, but StarWars is jealously guarded by LFL.

there's a new class of stormtrooper in the game, like a huge power armor type thing (very cool) with a very powerful gun and if you rush him with the lightsaber, he'll just knock you aside and blow you away with his gun... the only way to easily defeat him is to shoot him with something.

Whawha... ?

Are these any relation to the Dark Troopers of the original Dark Forces game?

this is the first Star Wars FPS i've touched since the original Dark Forces, and its pretttty fun... light sabers are hard to use, but alot better than i had imagined.

instead of Men of Valor or MoH: Pacific Assault, check out "Call of Duty"... its out at the beginning of November. Also, by the same guys who did MoH. you can d/l the demo now

Not sure. They're bigger, and definitely powered.

Not smooth like the Darktroopers though, and manned.

Awww...

Well, we'll file it as a relative.

There's also Spacetroopers, but not in space lol.

"We're space troopers!"

Ummm, you're on a planet.

"Well, yes, but we're space trooopers!"

And what would be the point to being down here, besides giving me some diversity in white-armored cannon fodder?

"Ummm... we're space troopers?"

Screw it...

*boom*

Okay, that sucked.

"We're space troopers!"

Ummm, you're on a planet.

"Well, yes, but we're space trooopers!"

And what would be the point to being down here, besides giving me some diversity in white-armored cannon fodder?

"Ummm... we're space troopers?"

Screw it...

*boom*

Okay, that sucked.

That was about my reaction...

Actually, I hate them more because they carry heavy repeaters and fly around... usually just out of reach of your lightsaber... An E11 takes care of them pretty quick though, on full auto mode.

Vostok 7

Haven't gotten Jedi Academy yet. Been busy. But Jedi Outcast rocks. I like the story of KotoR (on XBox) but the rpg based gameplay sucks IMO. I much prefer the Jedi Outcast/Academy engine. The story was pretty damned cool for Outcast. I thought multiplayer could be better implemented. Allow improved blaster skill, etc as an alternative to everyone having a lightsaber. "Mundane" melee weapons would be cool too.

As far the lightsaber being too effective and regarding the Ep 2 Arena battle. Jedi can be killed by someone extraordinarily skilled (Jango vs dinosaur head) or by massed and/or concentrated fire. Which is how it is in the game. Plus the lightsaber was useless against the rocket launcher. They SHOULD use an upgraded/updated FPS engine instead of RPG crap and I'd pay for Galaxies (instead of using my friends occassionally) ;)

They SHOULD use an upgraded/updated FPS engine instead of RPG crap

It would never work. You would be stuck with a shallow FPS, Planetside rip off, and with only combat professions. Not only that... but the Q3 engine isn't meant for wide open spaces.

While SWG isn't deep.... having non combat professions is what sets it apart from other MMORPGs (at least Evercrud and the first AC)

Js, you should read the back of the box before buying games. Hell, with a name like JEDI KNIGHT II: JEDI OUTCAST you should have gotten the gist of it.

:lol: :lol:

"Ahhh, I'm in the mood for a good star wars based FPS, but not a 'Jedi Simulator'... Whats this? Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast? Let's give it a try!"

Vostok 7

Js, you should read the back of the box before buying games. Hell, with a name like JEDI KNIGHT II: JEDI OUTCAST you should have gotten the gist of it.

Actually I played JO before I bought it... one of my friends lent me his copy for a week. Due to the size of the levels in that game I barely beat two levels before I had to give it back. I bought the game with the impression that it would be like Dark Forces I and II in that the lightsaber stuff would be kept to a minimum until the last few levels... but in JO you just end up going from one slashing match to the next after about level 5. I stopped playing it by about the swamp level just because it go annoying.

Anyway Star Wars names everything Jedi this and Jedi that... Melee weapons are for piss in FPS games anyway, at least they switch you over to Tomb Raider mode when you have the lightsaber.

Edit to add: In hindsight, yes it was a mistake on my part to just blindly buy the game. But it was at a time when I was hard up for a new FPS game in a market that was shallowing up with not many quality FPS choices... I liked the first few levels but the game just went gay on me. I think it is very dumb that all jedi instantly dodge and block all gunfire and prevent you from using any other weapon against them but a lightsaber. There where spots in that game that I knew there was a dumbass reborn up around the corner so I laid a bunch of detpacks and tripmines... the buttmunches just waltz right trough it all, exploding all around them and they take no damage!

IMHO it really, really takes the fun out of a game when you are forced to fight in the way they say you have to. That is the glory of the FPS genre in that you can fight in your own style and still succeed in many ways... you can lay traps, you can hit and run, you can sneek and pop or you can just do a full frontal attack guns a' blazin. In JO you have to fight the stupid dark jedis on their "turf" and that just burns me up. It's stupid.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

But they don't force you to use it all the time like they do in Outcast... the only times I really pulled out that dumb thing was when I had to, for the boss fights for instance.

Yeah. But then again... Outcasts doesn't force you to pull the damn thing untill it starts throwing Fallen Jedis at you... thats around the last 3 missions. And even then.... a well placed rocket is enough to kill them.

I must be weird... I like the lightsaber...

But in JA there's much less of an emphasis on the lightsaber than in JO even, IMO. There's many times where it was better for me to whip out a conventional weapon than use the lightsaber.

I just noticed playing tonight that there's some interesting finisher moves coming out of a saberlock if you win... In one, I thrust out one my two sabers straight into my opponent, killing him, and in the other I did a sweet scissor move with both sabers... It was pretty sweet!! All in all I think the saber mechanics and coreography (sp?) have been MUCH improved since JO.

Vostok 7

Yeah. But then again... Outcasts doesn't force you to pull the damn thing untill it starts throwing Fallen Jedis at you... thats around the last 3 missions. And even then.... a well placed rocket is enough to kill them.

Not really... I remember quite a lot from Outcast and pretty much from the minute you get that lightsaber the game works things into it that make you use it on every level after you get it. The first real level you have it on is Nar Shadda and I remember using it quite a good number of times just to progress in the game and the very next level is Bespin and they start throwing the reborns at you like they where cracker jack prizes. Every freaking Jedi I came up against in that game would die by only one weapon: the lightsaber. I shot at them, I lobbed thermal detonators at them, I tossed detpacks and tripmines at them, I shot rockets at them... everything just bounces off of them or they block/dodge it. The only way to kill them was to get into a "lightsaber fight" which pretty much entailed you just running at them clicking the fire button and hoping they die. The game will not even let you sneak up on them or snipe them! I tried that too! In Bespin there are tons of spots where those dorky reborns jump out at you and if you are patient and observant enough you can see them waiting for you. I pulled out the destabilizer and charged it up to shoot them only to have them "miraculously" just absorb a full destabilizer blast or they "sense" you are targeting them with a conventional weapon and they spring to life and charge at you with their lightsaber. Oh and they can somehow block the destabilizer shots with their sabers but you can't. How douche baggy is that?

it would be like Dark Forces I and II in that the lightsaber stuff would be kept to a minimum

Did you really play Dark Forces 2? Do you remember we actually get the lightsaber on the beginning of stage 3? :blink:

I remember it.

I remember thinking it was really cool.

I remember finding out it didn't work like it did in the movies(cleaving anything in 2 with a single blow).

I remember finding it thoroughly useless for anything other than blocking blaster fire or fighting the dark jedi.

I love KotoR. The RPG mechanics don't bug me, but that's because I play the pen-and-paper RPG as well :)

Though I'll grant you it was definitly odd to go into combat and NOT immediatly button-mash. Having to queue up my moves and then wait for them to happen took some getting used to.

However, the plot of KotoR is was kept me in the game. Much like MGS, the plot and representation of it was what drew me along for the ride. JO (and JA, it seems) felt like MGS2: glitzy toys without the story and plot to keep me occupied.

Not really... I remember quite a lot from Outcast and pretty much from the minute you get that lightsaber the game works things into it that make you use it on every level after you get it.

U might need to replay the game. I killed so many of these guys from heights (particularly Nar Shadaa) when i would simply Force Push them off the ledge or whatever. I used a fair amount of lightning, too. ;)

It's a Star Wars game that had Jedi in the title (not that many of those, try to list them!). I happen to like Star Wars for Jedi so this game was bliss and I have high expectations for Jedi Academy. Let's hope I'm not disapointed. :)

Edited by Uxi

it would be like Dark Forces I and II in that the lightsaber stuff would be kept to a minimum

Did you really play Dark Forces 2? Do you remember we actually get the lightsaber on the beginning of stage 3? :blink:

I remember it.

I remember thinking it was really cool.

I remember finding out it didn't work like it did in the movies(cleaving anything in 2 with a single blow).

I remember finding it thoroughly useless for anything other than blocking blaster fire or fighting the dark jedi.

LOL! You had to be sideways for the light saber to hit. It was really awkward. <_<

I love KotoR. The RPG mechanics don't bug me, but that's because I play the pen-and-paper RPG as well

Though I'll grant you it was definitly odd to go into combat and NOT immediatly button-mash. Having to queue up my moves and then wait for them to happen took some getting used to.

However, the plot of KotoR is was kept me in the game. Much like MGS, the plot and representation of it was what drew me along for the ride. JO (and JA, it seems) felt like MGS2: glitzy toys without the story and plot to keep me occupied.

The thing about KoToR (at leas the Xbox version) is that the story was predictable (and somewhat ripped from Baldurs Gate II), and barely overshadowed the insane amount of glitches that damn game had. :angry:

I've never played Baldur's Gate (I or II), so I wouldn't know about the plot being ripped off.

Predictable? In some places. The Revan twist caught me off-guard, though.

And what glitches? I don't think I encountered a glitch. If I did, I didn't notice it.

And if you're waiting for a non-Jedi FPS game, try Republic Commando. Dunno when it's due out, but it's looking to be a return to the Dark Forces style of game. Set in the same timeframe as KotoR, as I recall.

Jedi Outcast was cool. I had to reload a few times! In the end though I just couldn't beat the guy. (name slips my mind) I could drop a pillar on him w/ no problem though. But that was the only way I could beat it.

Desann.

I need to finish JK2................

I just picked this game up, I'd like to jump online with some of you and try and it out, well once I shed my noob status anyway. It would also help if a certain beautiful lady had a some what stable and reliable internet connection. HINT, HINT. :p

P.S. I wouldn't mind playing with a few of you more appearance challenged members either. <_<

Edited by Smut Peddler

It would akso help if a certain beautiful lady had a some what stable and reliable internet connection. HINT, HINT. :p

Why certainly, I will play with you! :lol:;)

And if you're talking about who you're talking about, I don't think that person has JA yet.

Vostok 7