The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

I've been told by many that front-engine Porsches are crap, especially the 928 series. Not worth the time or money.

365174[/snapback]

I have never owned one, but thats just a rumor started by people who couldn't afford one (kinda like the people who call 911s a "penis extention"). The 944 and 928 were a blast in their day. If you want to see some design cues taken from Porsche, look at a 944 then look at an Aston Martin Vanquish.

I've been told by many that front-engine Porsches are crap, especially the 928 series. Not worth the time or money.

365174[/snapback]

I have never owned one, but thats just a rumor started by people who couldn't afford one (kinda like the people who call 911s a "penis extention"). The 944 and 928 were a blast in their day. If you want to see some design cues taken from Porsche, look at a 944 then look at an Aston Martin Vanquish.

365182[/snapback]

When I worked at GM, a guy owned a 87 928 (S i think) he ddrove it everyday in the summer, never had aproblem with it and everytime he left, he left sideways, Sounded weird to me like an american V8 in a porsche body

Good freind of mine owned a 944 bought it ussed for 10,000 low miles 4 banger turbo, he never said anything bad about it,,,,I ussed to call it his souped up jetta though

Wasn't the 928 the fastest Porsche available for a long time? IIRC, a 928 [considered ancient by today's stds] won a SWC race a couple seasons ago [was it Infineon Raceway?] I need to go check the season stats to confirm one way or the other. What was the standard powerplant in the 928, by the way?

Wasn't the 928 the fastest Porsche available for a long time?  IIRC, a 928 [considered ancient by today's stds] won a SWC race a couple seasons ago [was it Infineon Raceway?]  I need to go check the season stats to confirm one way or the other.  What was the standard powerplant in the 928, by the way?

365196[/snapback]

V8 99% sure

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1...p+Gear+Corvette

Okay fine it's fast. But only because the engine is so sick. And I don't think the one in the video has the LS7.

365017[/snapback]

No, the reason why it's so fast around a track is because it was designed to be fast around a track. I suppose the reason why the Lotus Elise is so poor around a track is because it has a lame motor. :rolleyes:

What do you guys think of this?

It looks REALLY good for a Korean car. It has some extreme styling cues, but nothing horrible or completely tasteless.

And guys, front-engine Porsches are like fat chicks; they're fun to play around with until your friends find out. Pay the money and get a real Porsche (911) or at least use the money for a 944 or 928 (which are pretty damn cheap nowadays) and get a 914. A friend of mine works as a tech at a Porsche dealership and said that if he drove a 944, 924, or 928 into the service bay he'd just get laughed at.

Edited by yellowlightman

We do have two Lightnings (95 & '03), but only one Cobra ('97).  The two older vehicles are basically worthless though since the market for 93-98 L's and 96-98 Cobras regularly has mint examples selling for way less than 10K.  (And ours are far from mint...I'm more the "drive the wheels off" than "pamper and trailer" type of owner.)  I just want a '93 since it was SVT's first Cobra.  (And because the IRS didn't hit us as hard this year).

365064[/snapback]

The poor resale on Mustangs is kind of a double-edged sword, since on one hand they suck as invetsments or if you're trying to resell your car but on the other hand you can get a very fast car for relatively little money.

That Korean car looks pretty good. It's scary how fast they improved their cars and even more scary in that the Chinese are next. How can anyone compete against basically slave labor? I sure hope GM and the other big US car companies get it together in a hurry. Whether or not we like their cars, it's hugely important for them to stay in business.

That Korean car looks pretty good.  It's scary how fast they improved their cars and even more scary in that the Chinese are next.  How can anyone compete against basically slave labor?  I sure hope GM and the other big US car companies get it together in a hurry.  Whether or not we like their cars, it's hugely important for them to stay in business.

365208[/snapback]

Hyundai is one thing, but its going to take some time before these Chinese cars are any credible threat. They're most likely going to be disposeable cars in the most literal sense. Heck, I read a story back in December about how they'd failed every crash test in Europe.

That Korean car looks pretty good.  It's scary how fast they improved their cars and even more scary in that the Chinese are next.  How can anyone compete against basically slave labor?  I sure hope GM and the other big US car companies get it together in a hurry.  Whether or not we like their cars, it's hugely important for them to stay in business.

365208[/snapback]

I thought shipping car production to Canada and Mexico was there attempt to cut costs. God bless "American" car manufacturers. ;)

Whoever garaged the GT is probably going to see a ROI in the next ten or so years because those are actually limited production and exotic, but i know for a fact that Mustangs unless they have a number limit are not going to go for much. Personally, if you don't like the GT500 or think the markup is outrageous just get a Roush Mustang, the Saleen's are slow.

Korean cars are getting better every year (ignore the fact that i'm half korean) but it has a lot to do with them stealing former head engineers and designers. Namely the motor engineer from BMW who now had made them a brand new V8 and V6 (the 3.5 V6 has already outperformed Honda's and Toyota's, and the V8 hasn't been put into a car yet). I say give them 5 to 10 more years and they'll be at the selling level of the other Japanese Giants in the market. The concept looks a lot like a Peugot, I like the front end but the proprotions seem funny.

Personally, if you don't like the GT500 or think the markup is outrageous just get a Roush Mustang, the Saleen's are slow.

I've never understood the almost mythical pedigree that Saleen Mustangs have. Don't get me wrong, the design looks good (more aggressive than stock) but they aren't worth the markup. Most Saleens have only a body kit and very minor mods...along with Saleen's suspension components (sadly the only thing they do get right). Some do come with a positive displacement blower, but still don't make a huge amount of horsepower over stock. Not to mention the fit and finish of Saleen's parts. (Ask any body shop that has had to install a Saleen body kit or take a close look at a Saleen when you are a car show). IMO, there is no excuse for some poor quality parts when you have such a huge markup. (especially when aftermarket companies like Cervini's make much better kits for a lot lower price). Even if I won the lottery, I wouldn't even consider making Steve and Liz that much richer. <_<

We do have two Lightnings (95 & '03), but only one Cobra ('97).  The two older vehicles are basically worthless though since the market for 93-98 L's and 96-98 Cobras regularly has mint examples selling for way less than 10K.  (And ours are far from mint...I'm more the "drive the wheels off" than "pamper and trailer" type of owner.)  I just want a '93 since it was SVT's first Cobra.  (And because the IRS didn't hit us as hard this year).

365064[/snapback]

The poor resale on Mustangs is kind of a double-edged sword, since on one hand they suck as invetsments or if you're trying to resell your car but on the other hand you can get a very fast car for relatively little money.

365206[/snapback]

*Nods* The 94-98 GT's are all over the place here, and most can be had for 5K or less. And it has passed the true test of affordability...lots of the local college kids are driving them. ;) (Anyone who has had to pay their way through college knows how much disposable income that leaves you...)

What do you guys think of this?

The front end looks a little forced to me but i do like the over all shape of the body.

365119[/snapback]

i've always loved the 2 seater/coupe concept cars that Hyundai has created over the years.

on that note i'm absolutely in love with the new '06 sonata from a value standpoint.

365208[/snapback]

fyi hyundai has a massive plant they just opened in Alabama. hardly slave labour :) personally i want GM to go bankrupt so they can clear house, cut down their car lines, dump their oppressive labour costs and get back to building cars people actually lust for. i can never understand why they have 4 divisions and fail when toyota/honda can get it right with just 2 main ones.

i'm having trouble with the hyundai concepts headlights.

I'm more into round headlights and clusters than little slits.

If anything though, i'd replace that Hyundai emblem. The chrome H is tacky imho.

Tiburon has a T shaped badge for its korean version name (Tuscani) that looks pretty sweet. I wish they'd do something like that for this car.

post-309-1138749977_thumb.jpg

365064[/snapback]

365206[/snapback]

*Nods* The 94-98 GT's are all over the place here, and most can be had for 5K or less. And it has passed the true test of affordability...lots of the local college kids are driving them. ;) (Anyone who has had to pay their way through college knows how much disposable income that leaves you...)

365257[/snapback]

So true, so true.. picked up my '96 GT in phenominal condition for 4500. I'm TRYING to save for some toys under the hood (and even started selling my *gasp* Macross toys.)

I think that's the biggest problem with American companies right now is that they have so many divisions that are useless. Chrysler i think is just right about how many divisions they have since they axed plymouth years ago, they just need to focus on making more memorable models for the Chrysler brand. The only Chrysler model that is memorable at all is the 300C all the other ones don't even ring a bell or come to mind, and the Crossfire is hardly a sports car, they need something with a little more presence.

Ford really needs to axe Mercury. Mercury is the wanna be Lincoln, and really ruins it for all of the new models that Ford creates like the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr. If you put a Fusion and a Zephyr next to each other you don't really notice the similarities, but when you stick the Milan in between them, the relation is clear and really ruins the point of buying any of the three. Ford also needs to pump up Jaguar, because Jaguar is the only other company of Ford that is losing money (Volvo, Land Rover, Aston Martin, and Mazda are making them bank).

GM just needs to dump about half of their companies and then start making models that are worth a crap. They are the ONLY company to use OHV motors, and there's nothing wrong with that, except when you're 3.9liter V6 that puts out more hp and torque gets beat out by the 3.0liter SOHC Honda V6 with less hp and torque (and the 3.9liter gets worse gas mileage), you know something's wrong. Plus they closed down Oldsmobile and did nothing with their motors or R&D and kept BUICK!? If you're going to close the doors on one just dump them both, anyone who is loyal to either one of those companies is either in a retirement home or dead. I'm just going to end there because GM has their work cut out for them, but hopefully the divisions that don't close down will get a complete makeover the same way Cadillac did.

Edited by emajnthis

So true, so true.. picked up my '96 GT in phenominal condition for 4500. I'm TRYING to save for some toys under the hood (and even started selling my *gasp* Macross toys.)

I've noticed that these cars tend to hold up very well...Mine has, and I'm certainly not the type of owner that's out there washing and waxing every 5 minutes...

Edited by myk

Hyundai is one thing, but its going to take some time before these Chinese cars are any credible threat. They're most likely going to be disposable cars in the most literal sense. Heck, I read a story back in December about how they'd failed every crash test in Europe.

365213[/snapback]

Quite frankly, I don't think the American public will ever take the Chinese car industry seriously. Especially when local distribution will be handled by Malcolm Bricklin, who was responsible for littering America with Yugos in the 1980s.

While my car was in the shop, someone left me an offer on their business card:

"If interested in selling mustang, call Steve at ###-###-####"

Mustang? Why would I sell my car to someone who can't tell a mustang from a firebird? Besides, I don't think there is an angle from which my car doesn't advertise its "trans am-ness."

Mustang?  Why would I sell my car to someone who can't tell a mustang from a firebird?  Besides, I don't think there is an angle from which my car doesn't advertise its "trans am-ness."

365623[/snapback]

That's pretty funny. :lol::lol::lol:

365174[/snapback]

I owned an '86 944 Turbo silver/black leather in college and loved the thing. not the kind of car you'd want to take cross country because stuff was always breaking on it but its the fastest car I've ever owned. Part of the reason mine wasn't so reliable was because I bought it from some scumbag working at a european car garage who jerry rigged the living crap out of it. I took my car in for an oil change one time and found out my alternator was zip tied to the car... :angry:

The thing drove like it was on rails though- first time I'd owned a real sports car after the '98 Prelude I was tooling around in.

I could pass a semi truck on the freeway doing 90 and the thing wouldn't even shudder.

Eventually I sold it and bought a Tacoma which I didn't have to pop the hood on for two years but it was a decent car while I had it. I even made a little money on the sale because I had two guys bidding on it. helped pay for a little bit of all the repairs I had to do to it- new struts, new tires, new vacuum lines, lights re-wired etc. etc.

I think that's the biggest problem with American companies right now is that they have so many divisions that are useless. 

i don't think its their biggest problem, but i definately agree on the useless aspect. For GM i think Buick needs to be dumped in favour of Cadillac, Saturn should be merged with Chevy, GMC should be axed all together (send all the trucks to chevy and the luxo trucks to Cadillac), and Pontiac should re-focused into a high performance sporty division in the vein of mopar, amg, mazdaspeed, etc (gee isn't that what they're supposed to be?).

Mustang?  Why would I sell my car to someone who can't tell a mustang from a firebird?  Besides, I don't think there is an angle from which my car doesn't advertise its "trans am-ness."

365623[/snapback]

He's one of those types who's looking to make a buck out of the dopes who are willing to pay top dollar for old muscle. At the cruises that I've recently started to attend those muscle car "sharks" are all over the place...

Edited by myk