Spitfire Low Pass

Graham

That is SO COOL!

Man that plane is awesome looking from a head on view...

Was the Spitfire taking off? Or just skimming the ground to frighten the reporter? Damn funny at any rate ^__^

-BEN-MAN-

LOL!!!

I was going to make a joke to Graham about how off-topic posting is wrong (unless there was an o/t post thread...wink, wink), but after watching that I laughed my ass off for two minutes straight and then e-mailed the link to the video to every airplane enthusiast I know.

That's just funny!!!

Thanks for that, Graham - that was superb! I'm a bit of a Spitfire fetishist, so I enjoyed that a lot!

I think that footage may have been shot at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford, England. Theres what looks like a B-17 in the background (its hard to tell, but not many other planes have a rudder like that... )

Also - again, its hard to tell for sure - I don't think that was a Merlin making that noise, but a Rolls Royce Griffon engine, which was used in the later marks of Spitfire. I can't be completely certain, because I'm going by the fact that the Spitfire involved looked like a later mark, with the configuration of the underwing radiators and the outboard placement of the cannon barrels (later marks had 20mm cannon outboard, .50 cal MGs inboard).

Hey, I said I had a fetish... :rolleyes:

Pop quiz - who remarked that the name Spitfire was "just the sort of bloody silly name that they would choose?"

Pop quiz - who remarked that the name Spitfire was "just the sort of bloody silly name that they would choose?"

None other than R.J. Mitchell, the designer of the Spitfire itself, commenting on the name given to his plane by the Supermarine admin. (I can't believe I know that ;) )

Thanks for the clip, G, it was a good laugh :lol: .

Funny as hell.

Though the Brits just don't say the F word like they mean it, truly the most American of curse words :p .

Noun, verb, adjective, etc, the F word is all of em!

I might as well post this question in this thread.

Are there any good websites devoted to obscure World War 1 aircraft? Im not talking about Sopwith Camels and Fokker Triplanes... Im talking about Vickers Vimys, and all those weird little aircraft that duked it out in the skies in the early parts of the war using nothing but pistols. Those are truly interesting aircraft, but I have yet to find a site with pictures, and detailed information on even a good number of them!

Thank ya in advance, and I hope this isnt to much off topic ^_^...

-BEN-MAN-

None other than R.J. Mitchell, the designer of the Spitfire itself, commenting on the name given to his plane by the Supermarine admin. (I can't believe I know that ;) )

Thanks for the clip, G, it was a good laugh :lol: .

Pin-pon!

You win...

uh...

...we'll get back to you on that...! :lol:

We British have traditonally preferred understatment to invective, and have generally found it possible to express all our outrage into sentences like "Three Panzer divisions and a squad of Tigers heading for us, and all we have is this broken Sten gun? Oh, bother." ;)

Destroids Rage - I don't know of a suitable website, but the pedant in me needs to point out that the Vickers Vimy was actually a late World War One design; I believe it was created after Air Marshal Hugh Trenchard asked for a "bloody paralyzer of an aeroplane" to attack German strategic targets.

See F-ZeroOne? ^_^ I had /no idea/ ^_^ !

Thats why I freakin want a good book, or a good website, or some kind of in depth good resource for the obscure aircraft of WW1 ! But at any rate, yah.

Brits are funny ^_^

-BEN-MAN-

Ya I noticed that he's the guy of speed as well. Man never thought I'd see him swear like that, but you could hear the plane coming it had to be going pretty low.

Saw the video myself... At one point, it looks like the Spitfire nearly hit the ground. Very dangerous, but damn cool at the same time!

See F-ZeroOne? ^_^ I had /no idea/ ^_^ !

Thats why I freakin want a good book, or a good website, or some kind of in depth good resource for the obscure aircraft of WW1 ! But at any rate, yah.

Brits are funny ^_^

-BEN-MAN-

Thanks, though I more often get a "funny weird" than "funny ha ha!" response...! :rolleyes:

Sorry I can't help you with a website; only thing I can think of is to see if you can find a copy of a Janes - perhaps your local library could help...?

That was great! I've recently decided the Spitfire is probly the nicest looking aircraft ever (watching Piece of Cake helped with that assesment).

eta: DestroidsRage - try "Jane's Fighting Aircraft of WWI" they've got pretty much all the planes from early to late WWI

Edited by uminoken

That was great! I've recently decided the Spitfire is probly the nicest looking aircraft ever (watching Piece of Cake helped with that assesment).

Amen to that...! :D

(though of course, there were over 20 different marks, and my personal preference is for the Mk. IX - after that, Spitfires started getting leaner and meaner, with positive snouts out in front, but lost a little of their classic lines in the process... )

This is where the Zero, Mosquito, Hunter, FW-190, LaGG-5 etc start chipping in...! :rolleyes: