Happy new year to all of you!

zerocool

Lets bid a fond farwell to the year of the monkey... :(

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Rob MN

Actually the monkey's reign will end in february on Chinese New Year. So you have a month left to "Monkey" around! :p:D:lol:

I got it from another forum. :lol:

HAPPY NEW YEAR in different languages:

Afrikaans - Gelukkige nuwe jaar

Arabic - Antum salimoun

Bengali - Shuvo Nabo Barsho

Chinese - Chu Shen Tan

Czechoslovakia - Scastny Novy Rok

Dutch - Gelukkig Nieuwjaar

English - Happy New Year!

Eskimo - Kiortame pivdluaritlo

Finnish - Onnellista Uutta Vuotta

French - Bonne Annee

Gaelic - Bliadhna mhath ur

German - Prosit Neujahr

Greek - Kenourios Chronos

Hawaiian - Hauoli Makahiki Hou

Hebrew - L'Shannah Tovah

Hindi - Subh Nab Bars

Iraqi - Sanah Jadidah

Irish - Bliain nua fe mhaise dhuit

Italian - Buon Capodanno

Kisii - Somwaka omoyia owuya

Khmer - Sua Sdei tfnam tmei

Laotian - Sabai dee pee mai

Norwegian - Godt Nyttar

Papua New Guinea - Nupela yia i go long y

Philippines - Manigong Bagong Taon

Polish - Szczesliwego Nowego Roku

Portuguese - Feliz Ano Novo

Punjabi - Nave sal di mubarak

Russian - S Novim Godom

Serbo-Croatian - Scecna nova godina

Singhalese - Subha Aluth Awrudhak Vewa

Slovak - A stastlivy Novy Rok

Spanish - Feliz Ano Nuevo

Swahili - Heri Za Mwaka Mpya

Sudanese - Warsa Enggal

Telegu - Noothana samvatsara shubhakankshalu

Thai - Sawadee Pee Mai

Turkish - Yiliniz Kutlu Olsun

Ukrainian - Shchastlyvoho Novoho Roku

Vietnamese - Chuc Mung Tan Nien

Urdu - Naya Saal Mubarak

azerbaijani turkish - yeni iliz mubarek

Happy New Year, y'all! :)

Chinese - Chu Shen Tan

Either someone at that forum outright lied to you, or they gave you some other dialect besides the "official" Mandarin Chinese. "Happy new year" should be "Xin nian quai le!"

Thanks to correct :lol: .

I only know portuguese,japanese and english - I have no idea about if the others are correct... :unsure:

BTW in japanese is: Shin nem akemashite omedetou gozaimassu.

Chinese - Chu Shen Tan

Either someone at that forum outright lied to you, or they gave you some other dialect besides the "official" Mandarin Chinese. "Happy new year" should be "Xin nian quai le!"

so they had the chinese one wrong ? as for the original statement written "Chu Shen Tan" can any of you read what it actually says? does it say something vastly different? if so what does it say?

Chinese - Chu Shen Tan

so they had the chinese one wrong ? as for the original statement written "Chu Shen Tan" can any of you read what it actually says? does it say something vastly different? if so what does it say?

Well, when people say "Chinese" and they're not talking Mandarin, they usually mean Cantonese, the dialect from the Guandong Province, and also the dialect they use in Hong Kong (which might be why the West picked it up as Chinese instead of the more official Mandarin... importation of kung fu movies). I don't know anything else about Cantonese, though, so I'm just guessing. I suspect Graham would know better.

Oh, and as for the whole "Xin nian quai le," that's "Xin nian," which is "New Year," and "kuai le," which I guess doesn't translate directly, but implies that the speaker is wishing you something happy. If you replace "Xin nian" with "Sheng ri" (birthday), you'd get the Chinese for "Happy Birthday."

My wife (she's from Beijing) reminds me that "Xin nian quai le" is a relatively modern and trendy phrase in China... they started using it because the West says "Happy New Year." More traditional New Year phrases in Chinese would be "Guo nian hao," which means something like "Good passing of the year," and "Gong xi fa cai" which is something like "Congratulations and good fortune."

*EDITED AFTERTHOUGHT* "Chu shen tan" might still be Mandarin, but I don't recognize it because of the romanization. Chinese doesn't romanize nicely the way Japanese does... there have been many attempts by many people to come up with systems. I forget which ones are which of the older ones, like the one they usually use in Taiwan (where "gong xi fa cai" would be "gong hsi fa tsai"), but the Chinese government eventually came up with their own, called Pinyin, which sort of became the most accepted way to romanize Mandarin Chinese. All mainland born Chinese and most modern Chinese students (myself included) recognize Pinyin, but as previously mentioned, Taiwanese and older students of Chinese may use one of the older systems. Problem is, my Chinese isn't good enough that I'd recognize Mandarin that isn't written in Pinyin.

Edited by mikeszekely

Happy New Year, guys.

I spent mine in jail. (My dumb ass pulled an airsoft gun on a guy who was trying to kick my ass....)

Damn. That sucks. :(

Feel like telling the rest of the story?

Not much more to tell. I got in a verbal argument with some guy (who, it turns out, is an ex-marine) who chased me across the parking lot trying to kick my ass. So he's coming at me, I pull my airsoft colt on him and tell him that I'm a cop and will bust his ass if he comes any closer (Yeah, I don't know what the hell I was thinking, it seemed like it would save my ass at the time) I get in my car and leave.

A few minutes later, the cops pull up on me and arrest me.

So, I think I'll probably be charged with public exhibition of a replica firearm or something like that. Not a huge deal, and hopefully a good lawyer will get me off as a violation, with a bit of probation and a clear record.