GitS Innocence and Champloo DVDs

Prime

To my knowledge the DVD for Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence comes out this week in North America. It seems that it will only be a subbed only version. Now, I'm not usually one for dubs, but I have found those for the GitS series to be pretty good. Does anyone know if there is a planned DVD Region 1 dubbed version of Innocence, or or will I have to do with the subbed-only?

Also, I believe that Samurai Champloo is being released on Region 1 DVD in the middle of January. Will these be sold by normal retailers like Best Buy and the like, or will it have a bit less mainstream release? Just wondering if I should start looking at where to order or if I will be able to just go to the local store...

Thanks. :)

No GITS 2 dub that I know about forth coming but the subs on the DVD are close captioned subs.

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?...rt=1#Post794632

Didn't like the movie that much but I might buy it just for the action scenes with Batou. The story is garbage.

I'm sure Samurai Champloo will be at Best Buy. Just about every Geneon release is there.

review of volume 1

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/3477.php

Edited by dejr8bud

To my knowledge the DVD for Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence comes out this week in North America. It seems that it will only be a subbed only version. Now, I'm not usually one for dubs, but I have found those for the GitS series to be pretty good. Does anyone know if there is a planned DVD Region 1 dubbed version of Innocence, or or will I have to do with the subbed-only?

Also, I believe that Samurai Champloo is being released on Region 1 DVD in the middle of January. Will these be sold by normal retailers like Best Buy and the like, or will it have a bit less mainstream release? Just wondering if I should start looking at where to order or if I will be able to just go to the local store...

With Innocence subtitled is what you'll have to make do with. They made a specific decision to release it subtitled only and never made a dub.

Samurai Champloo will get a normal mainstream release.

Thanks for the info, fellas.

I haven't found a straight answer yet about how many episodes will be on the first Champloo volume. Is it four eposides per like SAC? If so, how often will the additional volumes be released? I think it is bi-monthly for SAC..

There is no dub for GitS 2. Unlike the first movie which was released by Manga and the TV series by Bandai/Manga, Innocence is being released by Dreamworks under their "Go Fish" label for anime releases. The only other release they've done so far is Millennium Actress, which also has no dub. I guess they treat the anime movies that they release like live action foreign cinema, much of which you don't see having English dubs on them.

Was it really that bad? I don't truely remember the dub since I only watched it off the action channel once....hell didn't even really wanna see it but I was on a date and we couldn't agree on a movie in time so we caught this one as a last resort...

But still I'm not big on chinese films, they're too far fetched in my opinion...friends love 'em but it's gotta have something dark and gloomy for me to get into...almost like the White Bride 2 or something....

I'm going to go try after work to go to Bestbuys and pick up a copy if they got it....if the movie truely sucks I'll get rid of it...I didn't like the first GitS movie much....so I'm not sure how I'll handle the sequal.

Nope didn't see it on their website besides the movie and the series up to Vol5 so I'm not gonna go there tonight.

Edited by Hikuro

Yeah, I walked into a friend's place a couple years ago while they were watching CTHD with the dubbed audio and I couldn't believe how horrible it was. Sounded like they handed the voice-over 'actors' the dialog script and recorded their first time through it.

To my knowledge the DVD for Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence comes out this week in North America.  It seems that it will only be a subbed only version.  Now, I'm not usually one for dubs, but I have found those for the GitS series to be pretty good.  Does anyone know if there is a planned DVD Region 1 dubbed version of Innocence, or or will I have to do with the subbed-only?

Also, I believe that Samurai Champloo is being released on Region 1 DVD in the middle of January.  Will these be sold by normal retailers like Best Buy and the like, or will it have a bit less mainstream release?  Just wondering if I should start looking at where to order or if I will be able to just go to the local store...

With Innocence subtitled is what you'll have to make do with. They made a specific decision to release it subtitled only and never made a dub.

Samurai Champloo will get a normal mainstream release.

Why would Dreamworks/Go Fish not release it w/a dubbed track? If I'm not mistaken there were several dubbed copies of the film in circulation at theaters when it was being shown in theaters. My location got a subbed copy, but I prefer it that way. Then again I have a lot of ignorant friends who don't understand the importance of keeping anime as intact as possible.

God, what were they thinking when they made the DVD cover? It smacks of some Hollywood marketing ass looking at the Japanese art and thinking, "Hey, this isn't dynamic enough! We need more colors, more movement, more cartoony! Let's get someone in the art department that worked on the SNES Street Fighter box art and get him to redo everything! We need something that will grab the attention-deficit crowd in to buy the DVD!"

US box art:

B0006A9FMI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Japanese art:

poster.jpg

Edited by Seven

I don't think either is very good to be honest.

I just don't particulary like how the US one promotes so prominantly as "Ghost in the Shell 2" rather than Innocence, seems much tackier.

Well the first GITS movie was a flop in Japan so when the second one was released there it was just billed as Innocence. And in the US, the first movie did well so why not bill it primarily as Ghost in the Shell 2. Both covers are ugly though.

I still wonder why no dub was done for the movie. GITS is a fairly mainstream franchise. With no dub you lose sales.

Oh and the subs are closed caption. why I dunno unless its a screw up since the French sub track doesn't have them.

Example:

[helicopter approaching], [Japanese singing], [gunfire]

or when someone is speaking [batou] then the dialog.

Best Buy had it in yesterday along with Inuyasha movie 2. Bought both.

Edited by dejr8bud

Well that just sucks....not only are tehy not releasing a dubbed Innocence...but it is CC subs, so you feel retarded while watching it.... I thought GTIS was pretty good...neato storyline, but I like to watch my movies while painting adn stuff...so I really cant watch the subs while doing something else.....(which is why I dont like DYRL as much either)

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Oh and the subs are closed caption. why I dunno unless its a screw up since the French sub track doesn't have them.

Example:

Oh you have got to be kidding.....

I was thinking about buying this one just for the animation (considering how much I hated the 'story") but if that's the kind of subs I can expect, I'll stick with my fansub copy. And here I was hoping that Dreamworks-imported anime would be a good thing. :angry:

Example:

I was thinking about buying this one just for the animation (considering how much I hated the 'story") but if that's the kind of subs I can expect, I'll stick with my fansub copy. And here I was hoping that Dreamworks-imported anime would be a good thing. :angry:

If "you were thinking about buying this one just for the animation", why would the subbing stop you? :blink:

Example:

No not kidding. The subs were not like this in theater when I saw it.

[wimper, dog barking] lol

The subs are good its just that this CC stuff is kinda annoying. I'm looking around for a DVDsubber file. Or I could just watch without subs since I really think the story isn't that good. GITS 2 can be rather pretentious also

and btw, could they have made the gynoids anymore unattractive?

Flat chested with a beer gut and a fat ass lol :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the el'cheapo cover art for R1 Innocence should've been a warning... but I'm already waiting for my Amazon package to arrive. Seems any GITS related VOL. 2 DVDs are jinxed. But until a better version is released, this is the best we can hope for...

No dub doesn't bother me at all, but the inept use of CC subs and lame cover art just reeks of laziness. Therefore in a rare move for me I sent an e-mail to right stuf to cancel the disc.

I want to at least not be annoyed by the subtitles. It's very basic, and no way that should have passed QC like that.

I was hoping that the Samurai Champloo Vol 1 DVD would be sold here in Canada at the main chains like Best Buy (although it is listed on the American site) and Future Shop. Alas, this appears not to be the case. So likely I'll have to resort to ordering it online.

Where might the best place be to do that? Suggestions welcome.

Edited by Prime

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Dreamworks has fixed the problem and is offering a replacement disc for anybody who got the "CC-only" disc.

http://recp.rm05.net/servlet/SignUpForm?f=2318

If you are not satisfied with the subtitle options on your "Ghost in the Shell 2" DVD, DreamWorks Home Entertainment will replace it with a version that includes English Language subtitles. If "v4" is printed on the package spine, you already have English Language subtitles.

This program applies to Region 1 DVDs and to consumers with U.S. and Canada addresses only.

To receive a postage-paid mailer in which to return your original "Ghost in the Shell 2" DVD disc only, please provide the following information. Please send the DVD only; do not send the DVD package. On receipt of your DVD, DreamWorks Home Entertainment will send your replacement.

So I'd assume that they will pull the "faulty" ones from the shelves, but just in case make sure you see the "v4" on the spine before you buy.