Isabel

Noriko Takaya

Please leave this up for a few days, mods. I'm about to go through hurricane Isabel tomorrow and will not be online to play for a few days. Even though I do not post as often as I used to, I am here all the time. I live on the water down here in Maryland, on the Chesapeake to be exact, and I may get flooded out. So things may get hairy. I know fellow MW compatriot Mechamaniac will be going through this also. Anyone else out there about to get hit by this thing? Mind you, it is very rare that this part of the country gets hit with storms like these.

I am in Montgomery Village, MD. About a half hour from DC in Montgomery County. I am backing all my PC stuff up as we speak right now. Thank god I have a DVD-RW.

Edited by Anubis

Yeah, I am about to feel your pain Noriko-Takaya. I live on the Broadneck Peninsula, so I'm right in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. I don't know how far above sea level we are, but it aint much. Noriko, I know you live in the Shady Side/Deale area, like my Dad, who actually looks out his window, onto the Bay, so I guess it's gonna be pretty wild where you guys are. Regular storms are outrageous here on the peninsula, so I bet this one will be a real doozie.

Here's hoping that you don't get hit too hard, I for one wont give a damn unless my basement floods, in which case I'm phucked since I don't have flood insurance, and that's where all my toys, family room, and computer are etc etc.

Good Luck to all my fellow East Coast MW brethren, hope you guys all stay dry and safe.

(PS - Thank god I don't work for the cable company anymore, I would be out driving in that crap, risking my life so people could watch TV, just like I did back when Hurricane Floyd came through.

Yeah, we in Toronto are also being cautioned about Isabel, although it SHOULD die down quite it bit by the time it hits Ontario. However, we are still expecting very heavy rains with possible flooding. All outdoor patio furniture should be secured or stored inside or else they might go flying with the strong winds.

I live in Calif, so when I get into a massive natural disaster I get no warning at all! (I hate earthquakes)

As do I Zeta, as do I. And depending were you live you also get the joy of drive by's!Ain't that just a cool bonus??? :o

Be careful Noriko. I hope you and Mechamaniac stay safe. :)

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

good luck noriko...i live in virginia beach, va and i understand your fears.....they've already ordered a mandatory evacuation for everyone living near the beach....i'm scared my house is gonna get flooded! i hope things turn out okay.....looking at the satellite pictures of this storm makes me queasy!

for once im acually happy to be in sweden :p , we have no natural disasters , maby some floodnings a year or something ... but never something as big as a hurricane .... good luck to all of you who are in the path of the hurricane.

//Dan..

Yeah, I'm just 30 min's from Easten in MD, right on the Delmarva penensula. Tied down the deck furniture this morning and put tape on the windows. A good storm surge could come right to my door. Its really quiet out, just the wind is blowing, even the crickets are hushed.

I have a huge portion of my collection of toys out in a shed, so if that blows away or something...Well even isurance won't bring it all back. Bah, its only toys...

This should be interesting though...

good luck noriko...i live in virginia beach, va and i understand your fears.....they've already ordered a mandatory evacuation for everyone living near the beach....i'm scared my house is gonna get flooded! i hope things turn out okay.....looking at the satellite pictures of this storm makes me queasy!

I lived in Va. beach for 6 years and I remember all those "hurricans" Well this one looks like it might do something so good luck guys.

P.S.- I live in Kingston Ontario so i'm virtually fine maybe some wind. Everyone here is panicing and buying emergency supplies and tons of other wwierd stuff. I mean when it gets here it'll be less then a Tropical depression. :lol:

Well, here we are at Hurricane +2 hours.

So far, the power has flickered several times, and the cable (including my cable modem) was out for a couple of hours, but obviously it's back on now.

So far, just wind and rain here in my area, and not too terribly much at that.

But, it's not supposed to really hit until this evening.

my family and friends are down in virginia beach.

Im in colelge at richmond

weather sucks. Rain is endless right now and wind is defeinitely picking up

from what i hear power outage is massive down in va beach

like i ssaid this sucks

ims tuck inside my apartment.

I wish I could go to isabel and smack it like the bi*ch it is

PUTANG INA!!!!!!!

hopefulyl by this weekend this huricqane will be gone.

while my famil and friends go through the hurricane full force now i will be going through at at 8 according to the news

take cvare everyone else going through this and thanks brotheres for praying for us

Power keeps flickering here, too. Thankfully my power supply has kept me from missing a beat during the brownouts so far.

Well, power just came back on after about an hour and a half downage. Keeps flickering though, so I don't expect it will stay on too long. Like CAG said, it's supposed to get bad later tonight. Estimated 150,000 persons without power in the Baltimore metro region.

Winds really kicking up, 35 - 40 miles an hour now.

Rain really starting to pound down.

Well, it seems the worst has passed.

Power went out again last night about 10:15PM right in the middle of me watching the Bebop movie on DVD!! :angry:

Power still out this morning, though in all, the storm wasn't really that bad here. I had my window open most of the night, and only got the occasional cross breeze, I could hear the wind blowing and occasional rain, but IMHO, meh, I've seen better.

Out of 1.2 million customers serviced by our local power company, 600,000 are without power with no estimate yet as to when it will be restored.

Seems it took a toll though, 9 deaths attributed to the storm so far, three happened yesterday evening, and the strange thing is that one of the people who died was a gentleman that lost control of his car and hit a utility pole no more than a mile from where I live.

And the final injustice...though half the area is without power, the bean counters at my office have only postponed opening until 10-1030 AM this morning. Gotta love it when they put the dollar ahead of the safety of hundreds of people that have to commute from all over the state.

Andy - glad to hear that you didn't get washed away! I shut down my comp after the first light flickers.

We didn't loose power here on the Hill in DC. Lights flickered a whole lot. Glad I live in a nice solid brick building.

:)

One cool thing is our windows face an alley and when the wind is up, we can hear it howling down the alley.

It was flippin LOUD last night! It was pretty wild.

CAG, where in DC are you?

Some interesting thought disheartening information from our local big power monopoly.

QUICK FACTS

As of 3:00 PM, 9/19

• 3,000 field personnel are working to restore power, including 400 BGE crews and 400 external crews from several states.
  • Isabel knocked power to 650,000 BGE customers.
  • Restoration is complicated by multiple trees and limbs on powerlines. As a result, many customers may be without service for several days.
  • While BGE secured several hundred thousand pounds of dry ice in advance of Isabel's arrival, demand is outpacing supply at all locations.

Here are some breakdowns by county:

As of 4:00 PM, 9/19

Anne Arundel

Total - 211,000

Without power - 174,000

Baltimore

Total - 343,000

Without power - 188,000

Baltimore City

Total - 269,000

Without power - 66,000

Calvert