New Smokescreen pictures

GobotFool

Woohoo!!! Finally... Not since I was a kid was I this anxious about getting a Transformer toy!!

Smokescreen down, just MPC Prime to go (for this year's TF purchases anywayz). I like the BT line but I'm only gonna get the ones that I really like. Waiting for others that appeal to me. In Smokes case, I like the realistic rally paint scheme and real world really driver names. If tak-bro makes a velvet Skyline (my fave car from Gran Tourismo) and a GT Mustang (my car)...then these will be must gets by me.

Hmmm, HLJ's account check is down, hope its cos they are processing all the preorders for shipment...

Just got it today. Looks beautiful, plays terribly.

Mine is the diecast version, so there's a high risk of chipping the gorgeous paint job while struggling to get the too-tight joints to budge. The shoulders/wheels are a b*tch to get out of the chest and harder still to get into position, mostly because of the protruding magnetic strut (used to connect to the steering rod). This is one toy that's definitely NOT meant for playing and much better suited to a life on a display shelf. Forget about staging TF battles with this one. By the time you get it from one mode to the other, the enemies would have been LONG GONE.

I still like the balance look of both modes. Maybe I'll spring for the plastic version so I can leave the diecast one in car mode...

Just got it today. Looks beautiful, plays terribly.

Mine is the diecast version, so there's a high risk of chipping the gorgeous paint job while struggling to get the too-tight joints to budge. The shoulders/wheels are a b*tch to get out of the chest and harder still to get into position, mostly because of the protruding magnetic strut (used to connect to the steering rod). This is one toy that's definitely NOT meant for playing and much better suited to a life on a display shelf. Forget about staging TF battles with this one. By the time you get it from one mode to the other, the enemies would have been LONG GONE.

I still like the balance look of both modes. Maybe I'll spring for the plastic version so I can leave the diecast one in car mode...

How do can you tell which one is the plastic vs. diecast one?

I have seen some pics of the american version, it looks a lighter blue. Hmmmmm if what you say is true drifand I may also spring for a plastic version as well, one for collector value the other for play. When is it coming out in the states?

Edited by GobotFool

I donno, my local dealer brought in the diecast version and that's what I got. From the box, it shows Japanese text describing the toy, plus a big TAKARA logo of course. The Subaru logo is also shown on the side panels.

I guess the plastic version will come in a box with HASBRO markings etc.

well I am still very excited about the alternator line. also if the joints are so tight I may just go at it with a small screw drivers and voila! instant loose joints! Its funny usually I pull out the screwdriver to tighten my joints no lossen.

Edited by GobotFool

well I am still very excited about the alternator line. also if the joints are so tight I may just go at it with a small screw drivers and voila! instant loose joints! Its funny usually I pull out the screwdriver to tighten my joints no lossen.

Ah! But first you have to get to the joints! The legs are the main culprit here. Very hard to get them to slide out into their correct positions, during which it's possible to break the rear windshield if you're not careful. Just make sure you take your time with this "masterpiece". Once you've got it right the first time, putting it back will be much eaiser.

I can deal with tight joints, chipping paint (always common with die cast toys) and a complex and lengthy transformation process. Actually, I love difficult transformations. That's one of the reasons I like Yamato's valkyries so much! I'm even more excited to get this guy now! B)

WOW! the Binaltech/Alternators are huge! Check out this comparison shot (BT-Armada-RID-G1-mini)

edit: Aargh!! no linking code...try the URL to the image

http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act139/bt_s...escreen1_19.jpg

Edited by GDomino

Thanks for the comparison pic. I figured Smokecreen would have to be a fairly large size in order to incorporate all that extra detail. It's still hard to believe that the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime is still going to tower over him even at this size.

Well, my #7 Smokescreen is on his way via EMS...only a few more days days and I'll have my own.

Having just got mine last night, yes, it is a handful. I was going take a size picture with him next to Prime and Prowl, but since we already have the shot above, there's really no reason.

Drifand is right, take your time with this thing, the instructions are not as helpful as they could have been, but I made it through by going very slow. There were many "I can easily see how this could break something!" moments though, especially around the windows and getting the chassis to unlock. In fact, while I was fiddling with getting the front body to unlock from the rear, I knocked/bent the drivers side door off with my gangly hand. While it did manage to pop back on no problem I haven't been that panicked on a new toy since my 1/60 DYRL Hikaru's shoulder hinge come undone during it's first transformation.

But... BUT, this new Smokescreen is so cool, I have visions of the Transformers returning into my life to drain my wallet. I'm even receptive to the new Sideswipe now. But being on these boards you know I must have some complaints, some petty nitpicks, right? Well I do, but they are small.

1) The hood needs a way to be locked down, especially as it's metal. It's just making all these flip-flop noises all the time. Just hope there are a lot of bumps in the road!

2) Arm articulation is missing a forearm rotation point. All in all the articulation on this baby rocks, especially the legs and head, but even as good as the arm's are, I really found myself missing some forearm rotational ability, then he'd be next to perfect.

3) That gun! First off, the good news, they did what I can't believe Yamato didn't do for the 1/48 -- they have the gun attach to the hand with a securing peg. Yamato! You already had a hole in the gun, why not a peg in the hand?? OK anyway, also some mad props for making it part of the car, and it looks cool as the engine, but as a gun it looks a little dorky. While I can't fix much about it, I will have to find a kibble bit I can slip into the bottom to cover-up the hole.

4) The NAMES! I know this is petty, but I can't help my deep-rooted childhood memories. This car screams to be Bluestreak instead of Smokescreen, as the upcoming Sideswipe fits my image of Tracks rather than who it is, but I sure I'll get over this little bit of reprogramming my brain needs.

All in all though, awesome. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Sideswipe and Masterpiece Prime just as much as my wallet will be reeling from them. But what's more, I can't wait to see the next designs... that's how I know I'm hooked.

Edited by LePoseur

4) The NAMES! I know this is petty, but I can't help my deep-rooted childhood memories. This car screams to be Bluestreak instead of Smokescreen, as the upcoming Sideswipe fits my image of Tracks rather than who it is, but I sure I'll get over this little bit of reprogramming my brain needs.

While I can't say their reasoning behind the sideswipe, this one is called smokescreen cause like the old smokescreen this is based off of a real world race car.

This is what I envision a new line of Transformers to include:

Bluestreak/Silverstreak/Prowl as a Nissan 350 Z

Hound as a Humvee H2

Jazz as a Porsche Boxster

Sideswipe as an Enzo Ferrari

Sunstreaker as a Lamborghini Murciélago R-GT

Bumblebee as a VW New Beetle

Tracks as a Dodge Viper GTR-S

Ironhide as an Escalade

I'd still like to see new characters using these cars:

Mazada RX-8

Mazda RX-7

Ford Mustang 2005 Concept

Toyota Supra

Mitsubishi Eclipse

T'inquiètes Fred :D

C'est la version japonaise de Takara que t'as commandé chez hlj :p donc plein de métal : yeah :lol:

For those who don't understand French, I just confirmed Fred that he ordered the diecast version of Smokescreen not the plastic one by Hasbro which is anyway not available yet

Does anyone know which version BBTS will be receiving? I hope its not the Hasbro, I don't want to have to try and cancel my order now.

BBTS is getting both versions most likely, but they have had the Takara diecast ones up for pre-order for some time. They have both the #7, and the #8 versions available.

I donno, my local dealer brought in the diecast version and that's what I got. From the box, it shows Japanese text describing the toy, plus a big TAKARA logo of course. The Subaru logo is also shown on the side panels.

I guess the plastic version will come in a box with HASBRO markings etc.

Hey drifand,

Shucks i missed out on the release of the Smokescreen, have to wait till the next shipment in 2 weeks time. How much did you pay for it in singapore, which dealer did you got yours? Any photos to show?

Cheers