Animeigo discontinues Macross

wolfx

It sounds like the licensing ran out and they don't know who to renue it from. Sales probably werent that great either. The prices are much cheaper now then what they initially claimed them to be. It still kind of ticks me off because I could have waited and saved over a hundred dollars by buying the three box sets.

I wish these damn idiot companies would realize there is a market for classic anime.

But is there a worthwhile market for classic anime, and Macross in this case? I mean, yes we love Macross, but how many units did they actually sell? I does compete with Robotech, which is what most people remember. I'm just curious how much they actually made with this...

Don't suppose anyone has written a E-mail to AnimEigo asking a reason.  They answer their E-mails, i know i have asked them many questions and they always answer.

Cruel Angel's Thesis

I did, and Robert Woodhead said that yes, they were stopping production on 31 December 2004. He didn;t give a reson, and perhaps they can't say anything yet.

Edited by Pat Payne

It makes perfect business sense. Pretty much everyone who wanted it has it. By stopping production they can drive up the demand guaranteeing they won't be left sitting on unwanted stock.

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with any shady dealings by HG since they were behind the project from the start.

I agree with opus, just because something like this happens doesnt mean HG is behind it. Its simple bussiness. Macross isnt like Eva, Trigun, or Bebop where there are endless streams of fans and advertising on TV, magazines etc... Animeigo also isnt like ADV who has tons o cash. Animeigo caters to a smaller slice of fandom. Theyve probably sold as many as they think they can and thats that. If you really want to buy one, buy it now, or tell animeigo you want one, if enough say theyll buy them, theyll keep making them. its all about $

I'd probably buy 3 if I could but I spent all my cash on toys, games and christmas presents.

Glad I fially got to own the whole of MAK-U-ROSU (ah love the theme song :) )on dvd. I paid full price for mine. If I'd have known the price would go down I would have waited.

Now that dvd's are going to be superceded some day (well in the not too distant future) by a new format, there's always a chance they'll rerelease this again. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

'Hi-Super' DVD?

Either BluRay disks or HD-DVD. Depends on who wins the upcoming war.

Neither of which bears any advantages for programming orignally created for televising in NTSC format(or PAL, for that matter), their sole purpose being to allow the storage space needed for high-resolution digital TV formats.

No matter how many times you reprint Macross, it's still going to be the same product, designed to be viewed on an NTSC set.

The current US DVDs represent the upper limit on the material, really. There's no evident compression artifacts, and the image is as clean as it's going to get. All you'll get from high-def encoding of it is more pixels per film grain.

The original source film has an upper resolution limit, and it's quite low for a TV production, especially one from that time period.

It's like watching Sorceror's Apprentice in Fantasia 2000, if you saw it in an IMAX theater. The grains in Sorceror's Apprentice were the size of my head. And not visible at all on any of the new clips, which were originally designed and photographed at the higher resolution needed for an IMAX movie.

For a more hands-on example, take a large bitmap, like a wallpaper. Your choice. Scale it down to ... I dunno, 128 pixels wide. Consider this the photographing of the cels. Now scale it back up. It doesn't look any better scaled up, because the original data is lost forever.

Except that you can revert to the original wallpaper in this example. The original cels for Macross are likely lost forever, and even if they aren't, no one is going to re-assemble and rephotograph each frame.

Even if they did, it wouldn't be the exact same show. Cels wouldn't be seated exactly the same, for trivial starters. Undoubtedly, some recycled footage scenes would be swapped out(so that, for example, you don't have ground combat in space). And we most certainly wouldn't see the photography errors present in the current version.

But even then, the drawings are very low quality by even modern NTSC animation standards. There's just not going to be much improvement from going back to cel and rephotographing, beyond the removal of photography errors.

Macross simply doesn't NEED more disk space than is available.

Unless you do something like remix the audio into DTS ES and create an entire new video track rendered entirely in CG and meant to be viewed at 1080i. Which won't happen, because Kawamori doesn't wanna touch it again and Harmony Gold ... well, do we WANT them remaking Macross(ignoring the question of if they even CAN make deriviative works legally)?

Or put the whole thing on one disk, which won't happen because all businesses want to squeeze your wallet for all it's worth. You won't get an entire series for 20$, because they already know they can get more out of you than that.