What is this ship?

Roycommi

"They" didn't think it the Macross was the Alus... Ishtar did. I'm sorry, she's cute and all, but she's also a bimbo. :)

... uh, but the Macross was the Alus. <_<

Yeah, that's what Ishtar said!

;) oh. I thought he was implying that Ishtar was wrong! :blink:

There was no comfirmation that the Macross was actually the Alus, or that the Alus even existed. Any way you cut it, in the TV series continuity it's a Supervision Army ship, and in the DYRL continuity, it's a Meltrandi gunship. As per usual, the Macross II writers were on crack.

There was no comfirmation that the Macross was actually the Alus, or that the Alus even existed. Any way you cut it, in the TV series continuity it's a Supervision Army ship, and in the DYRL continuity, it's a Meltrandi gunship. As per usual, the Macross II writers were on crack.

Not necessarily... Keep in mind they had none of the background story of M7 to give them information on the Supervisional Army. Therefore, they could have assumed that the Supervisional Army assimilated the Alus into its ranks, then by chance it ended up on Earth. Even in SDFM the origin of the Macross was a partial mystery, there is no reason it couldn't have some mystical power.

The Macross origins in Macross have always sounded... weird to me. Overpowered for its size compared to the Zentraedi ships. IOW, if the SA had small ships like that, what were their big ships like?? Of course, the Macross is protected by the plot, but that's not a good in-story reason. I know that the Zentraedi initially were going out of their way to capture instead of destroy but still...

EDIT: And on topic, there WAS (or more appropriately was going to be) a continuity other than Studio Nue's, when they weren't doing Macross. It's possible the Alus could have sprang up from there. Me, I always like the idea that MII was an in-story fictional sequel to the retcon'ed in-story fictional movie "DYRL." Maybe something Basara, et al went to see after defeating the Protodevlin. :)

Edited by Uxi

The Macross origins in Macross have always sounded... weird to me. Overpowered for its size compared to the Zentraedi ships. IOW, if the SA had small ships like that, what were their big ships like?? Of course, the Macross is protected by the plot, but that's not a good in-story reason. I know that the Zentraedi initially were going out of their way to capture instead of destroy but still...

The Macross was a gunboat. It existed solely to haul the big cannon around. It's overpowered for it's size because that's what gunboats ARE.

You may recall it had almost no other weapons. That's because a gunboat isn't supposed to operate solo. It should've had other ships defending it.

You don't get to see Zentradi gunboats in-show, because, according to Macross Compendium's entry for a zentradi gunboat...

Programmes: This medium-scale gunboat is used in planetary bombardment and large-scale fleet-to-fleet engagement. .

So you're left comparing apples and oranges.

I assume the Supervision Army and Zentradi are of similar tech levels, as there is no evidence to disprove the notion.