How long HLJ SAL Rate takes?

Limbo

I ordered an extra 1/48 FP from HLJ, and trying to save some cash, I selected SAL rates (1,280 yen) instead of EMS (2,800 yen).

It was shipped about 2 weeks ago, so by now I'm almost stalking the postman and planning a stealthing mission to the post office to search "my precious"...

Does anybody have any prior experience with SAL? What is average for delivery?

Too bad people always asks after the fact, once they made the "mistake".

To use SAL shipping from overseas is not highly recomended; some times it takes forever, and ever. Once, I paid surface shipping from Asia it took 1 month and 3 days to get here.

I used fast shipping from HLJ after they have changed their shipping system/service and it took just about a week to get here. In the other hand I have also paid express shipping from Canada, just around the border close to home, and it takes over a week to get here.

An extraordinary example is Monkey Nugget (Rob) from Japan, same fast shipping service.... and I am not exagerating here, 3-4 days or less..!!(that includes customs 'drag' time). How does he do it? I always wonder.

Edit; I forgot to say I live in Virginia, west of Washington DC.

Edited by 007-vf1

I'm on day 14 today (Southern California) and haven't gotten my 1/48 FP yet. Not that big of a deal, but I can't wait to get them! The saved money is worth the wait for me as I have my VF-19A to tide me over until then. ;)

EDIT: Well next time i'll check the mail before typing such things. Was there literally right after posting this for I dont' know how long. :)

Edited by Uxi

SAL is a mixed bag. i've had HLJ shipments take three weeks, and then my last one came in one week. for the price, i think SAL is worth it, i miss the UPS, but not that much. the other option, EMS is probably faster, but its so much more expensive that i don't think its worth it.

I've always used SAL to get my stuff from HLJ (but that may change with some large orders coming up). Generally I've experienced exactly 14 days from shipping to my grubby paws. However one shipment took a month, and I had to call Canada Post to see if they got my shipment (FYI they did, and it showed up the next day).

I haven't had anything broken via SAL (thanks Yamato for all that "dead space" in the packaging! ) yet...

Do the math, sometimes EMS is worth it. An example is the MG Ex-S Gundam. The SAL shipping rate is 5000 yen (at least for me... I pay the estimate). The EMS shipping rate is 5400 yen. Hmm... Pay another 4-6 bucks in shipping, and see your item in your lifetime... I think it's worth it.

I live close to New York City, and I know it does depend alot on how much mail goes through your part of the country.

Yeah, is funny how it seem East coasters get their shipping in less days than the West coasters; and they live closer to Japan... :)

I live in Maryland and it takes me an average of 3 weeks. Like other people said, the wait can vary depending on the planes load. SAL is alright, but stay away from it during the christmas season. I've heard that EMS through HLJ isn't that great either since you'll have to wait for HLJ to process and ship out your order, which can sometimes take longer than the actual EMS delivery time.

I live in SoCal, and I've had three orders from HLJ since they quit using UPS. So far my orders have taken 22 days, 24 days, and 20 days. I hate it, I used to get my stuff in less than a week back in the UPS days.

is that true?

last time i ordered from hlj, they were still using ups and it always took a week or so.

i'm a little discouraged with this SAL-stories.

It took 2-3 weeks last time, it is reasonable.

And if you order anything, do mail HLJ to ask them to fill the mailing package with enough protective materials. Both my 1/60 valks were packed in a selfmade tight fit box with no bubble wrap at all and suffered some bumps on the corners. I was not pleased. :angry:

Maybe they thought mailing to a backwater country in Europe wasn't even worth procesing the order in a proper way or discount items always get this treatment.

Heh, would figure as soon as I opened my mouth... er keyboard... that when I went to the door saw the FP sitting there for who knows how long! Two thumbs up definately.

After playing with the FP, think the boosters go on a little too tight... but that's for another thread. ;)

I ordered an extra 1/48 FP from HLJ, and trying to save some cash, I selected SAL rates (1,280 yen) instead of EMS (2,800 yen).

It was shipped about 2 weeks ago, so by now I'm almost stalking the postman and planning a stealthing mission to the post office to search "my precious"...

Does anybody have any prior experience with SAL? What is average for delivery?

I know how you feel, I stalked the UPS driver just to get my hands on the first 1/48 VF-1