Favorite Jrock bands?

VF19

How popular are bands like TM Revolution in Japan?

Actually, TM Revolution is just one person, and he's moderately popular in Japan.

Quite frankly, I think he's overrated and for the most part sucks. I only like 2 of his songs and that's it.

As for favorite J-Rock bands, my all-time favorite is Animetal.

Ditto. :)

As for favorite J-Rock bands, my all-time favorite is Animetal.

Ditto. :)

That reminds me...I gotta dust off my Animetal collection, especially with a new CD just released.

BTW, Jemstone, what's your favorite Animetal cover song?

Oooh.. that's a good question. So far my fave album to date is "This is Animetal" and Animetal Marathon IV is usually on my MP3 playlist. Usually anything with vocals by Eizo Sakamoto.

Oooh.. that's a good question. So far my fave album to date is "This is Animetal" and Animetal Marathon IV is usually on my MP3  playlist. Usually anything with vocals by Eizo Sakamoto.

In my opinion, Animetal Marathon I and Animetal Marathon II are the best, though This is Animetal has a better version of "Uchuu Senkan Yamato."

I reviewed Animetal Marathon V over a year ago. It's a good album, but even with "Pegasus Fantasy (Saint Seiya theme)" and "Zankoku na Tenshi no Te-ze (Neon Genesis Evangelion theme)," it's lacking in terms of content and overall feel (though it better than the Ultraman-oriented Animetal Marathon III). I'm hoping the band can do one better with Animetal Marathon VI: The Sentimetal, which seems to have a promising playlist:

01.Opening(Syu曲)

02.合体ゲッターロボ(ゲッターロボ) [Getter Robo]

03.不滅のマシンゲッターロボ(ゲッターロボG) [Getter Robo G]

04.ぼくらのマジンガーZ(マジンガーZ) [Mazinger Z]

05.勇者はマジンガー(グレートマジンガー) [Great Mazinger]

06.宇宙の王者グレンタイザー(UFOロボグレンタイザー) [uFO Robo Grendizer]

07.ひろしのテーマ(鋼鉄ジーグ) [Kotetsu Jeeg]

08.倒せ!ギャラクター(科学忍者隊ガッチャマン) [Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman]

09. おれは新造人間(新造人間キャシャーン) [shinzo Ningen Casshan]

10.スペースナイツの歌(宇宙の騎士テッカマン) [uchuu no Kishi Tekkaman]

11.嗚呼!逆転王(逆転!イッパツマン) [Gyakuten! Ippatsuman]

12.永遠ブルー(聖闘士星矢) [saint Seiya]

13.ユリア・・・永遠に(北斗の拳) [Hokuto no Ken]

14.力石徹のテーマ(あしたのジョー) [Ashita no Joe]

15.ジョーの子守歌(あしたのジョー) [Ashita no Joe]

16.みなし児のバラード(タイガーマスク) [Tiger Mask]

17.空手道おとこ道(空手バカ一代) [Karate Baka Ichidai]

18.行け!バンババン(侍ジャイアンツ) [samurai Giants]

19.ああ青春よいつまでも(ドカベン) [Dokaben]

20. 想い出がいっぱい(みゆき) [Miyuki]

21.笑顔を探して(YAWARA!) [YAWARA! A Fashionable Judo Girl]

22.冒険者たちのバラード(ガンバの冒険) [Ganba no Boken]

23.カムチャッカ半島リアス式物語 (リトマス紙剣士マサキ酸性/MASAKI曲)

24.ルパン三世愛のテーマ(ルパン三世) [Lupin III]

25.炎のたからもの(ルパン三世劇場版「カリオストロの城」) [Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro]

26.君をのせて(天空の城ラピュタ) [Laputa, Castle in the Sky]

27.飛翔(NEVER END)(劇場版「クラッシャージョウ」) [Crusher Joe: The Movie]

28.愛の金字塔(六神合体ゴッドマーズ) [Rokushin Gattai GodMars]

29.正義の超能力少年(バビル2世) [babel II]

30.愛の勇者たち(ザ・ウルトラマン) [The Ultraman]

31.乾いた大地(戦闘メカザブングル) [sentou Mecha Xabungle]

32.UFO少年団(UFO戦士ダイアポロン) [uFO Senshi Dai-Apollon]

33.おれは洸だ(勇者!ライディーン) [Yuusha! Raideen]

34.星空のガイキング(大空魔竜ガイキング) [Daikyuu Maryuu Gaiking]

35.その名もタクマ宇宙パイロット(惑星ロボダンカードA) [Wakusei Robo Danguard A]

36.THE GALAXY EXPRESS 999(劇場版「銀河鉄道999」) [Galaxy Express 999]

37.わが青春のアルカディア(劇場版「わが青春のアルカディア」) [Arcadia of My Youth]

38.真っ赤なスカーフ(宇宙戦艦ヤマト) [uchuu Senkan Yamato]

39.スタートチルドレン(劇場版「機動戦士ガンダム」) [Kido Senshi Gundam Movie I]

40.哀戦士(劇場版「機動戦士ガンダム「哀戦士」) [Kido Senshi Gundam Movie II]

41.めぐりあい(劇場版「機動戦士ガンダム」めぐりあい宇宙) [Kido Senshi Gundam Movie III]

42.Theory Of Madness(狂気の方程式/MASAKI曲)

43.魂のルフラン(新世紀エヴァンゲリオン劇場版「シト新生」) [Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth]

Edited by areaseven

I've never cared much for j-rock. Mostly when I hear j-rock, it just sounds like a cheesy immitation of 80's hair bands, or worse, 90's grunge.

In my opinion, the best two CD's to come out of Japan this year was M-Flo's "Astromantic" and Ryohei Yamamoto's "Take Over." I think you can sample both of those albums at Asian Music Network.

• 1 year later...

Would Boa ("Duvet"), Horie Yui with UNSCANDAL ("Scramble"), or Mai Fukuda ("Tenshi no Yubikiri") be considered J-Rock? I'm REALLY loving "Tenshi no Yubikiri" right now. The only band I know to be actual J-Rock would be The Pillows ("Last Dinosaur" is by far their best).

Note: "Duvet" is the opening theme song for Serial Experiment Lain, "Scramble" is the opening theme song for School Rumble, and "Tenshi no Yubikir" is the opening theme song for Kareshi Kanojo no Jijyo (His and Her Circumstances).

Edited by Oihan

I´m not into J-Rock/visual etc (maybe too old :( ?No way) but about 50% of the music I buy /listen to is japanese so I´m not too off-topic I hope.

I like the old 80s albums by YMO Yellow Magic Orchestra, influenced by Kraftwerk but without taking themselves serious.

The 3 members (Ryuichi Sakamoto, Haruomi Hosono, Yukihiro Takahashi) all made excellent solo stuff (Sakamoto alone seems to make about 6 albums a year, always changing style, he also did the soundtracks for "Wings of Honneamise" and parts of "Appleseed").

Their latest incarnation as a band is "Sketch Show": they mix electronic sounds with "microclick"-beats, acoustic guitars (even banjo) and swedish lyrics - otherworldly! It´s so funny these guys are well into their 50s and they still sound fresh and innovative!

TsuShiMaMire (these girls are just adorable)

Stance Punks (they are absolutely great live)

PE'Z

The Emeralds

Been a fan of TsuShiMaMire for a while and bought tickets to Japan Nite at the Knitting Factory to see them and this is where I saw and heard Stance Punks, PE'Z, and the Emeralds for the first time.

The Emeralds opened up and they were really great, nice guys, joking with the crowd. Stance Punks were just absolutely nuts; energy, energy, energy. Those boys really know how to rock out. PE'Z is an all instrumental band (acoustic bass, sax, trumpet, and keyboard). I wasn't too into their first song and was beginning to think maybe I should head to the bar and skip their set, but then I really got into their second song and was glad I stayed. TsuShiMaMire was the last to come up, and well if you haven't heard them go and buy their CD. In fact, do yourself a favor and pick up a CD of all of the bands I've mentioned.

There was only one group that I thought disappointed and they were called The Rodeo Carburettor. All power chords and no style. Meh.

Two best bands ever...

SHOW-YA.

EARTHSHAKER.

SHOW-YA is an all female metal band from the 80's. They were one of the most popular bands in Japan for a while, and I think they had the most musical talent of any Japanese band ever. The lead singer, Keiko Terada is terrific.

EARTHSHAKER is a band that came out around when Loudness was getting popular, and their early stuff sounds similar. Earthshaker is still around, and sometimes the lead singer, Masafumi Nishida (Nickname: Marcy) sometimes teams up with Keiko Terada in the band HIP'S (which has only released 3 very good singles). Earthshaker is still going strong, releasing new -extremely- high quality albums. Virtually any project done by Nishida is bound to be great.

I have almost every single album by SHOW-YA, and quite a few Earthshaker albums.

SHOW-YA is one of my favorite bands.

But I doubt virtually any of you have any albums by either band, for some reason they haven't developed a following outside of Japan.

~Liottel.

Move, TM Revolution (I only like Zips song), L-Arc en ciel, B'z, CAGNET, Takako Uehara, Younha, Yui, Stance Punks (Naruto influence), Kitaro, Kiroro, High & Mighty (Bleach Influence), Utada Hikaru, Takashi Sorimachi (GTO song),...and some of the older songs...in the 90's.. I cant even remember the name of the artists/groups.....the good ol Jap. songs