Just a little idea...

Commander McBride

I had a cool idea today. It hit me that it'd be awsome to have a Fanracer in Flight Simulator 2004. It's a lot more plausable to make one, now that GMAX is officially the aircraft editor for FS. But I just don't have the skills. So, is there a GMAX model of one out there somewhere? Or, can a 3DS model be imported into GMAX? If so, is there one for it? If not, is there any GMAX user who'd be willing to collaborate on making one and putting it into the game?

I've heard of it when I was making a skin for the C-172 in MSFS2002. But I didn't getting into the trouble of making 3D models. They're just too tedious for me.

Good luck in making the Fanracer. I hope it will be compatible for the MSFS2002. 2004 demands a faster computer. :(

Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...
:) Well, this is my first post here, but the talk about doing a Valk model for FS has got me intrigued. I use 3DMax at work, and I would definitely love to make a Valk model for FS, but I don't know what export tools I would need. Are there any export tools that come with FS2003/2004? And are there limits to polygon count/texture size?

puts on his sunglassess so no one'll recognize as he whispers: My PC is a PIII 500MHz. ssshhhhhhhhhhhh....... (embarassed)

I'm sorry man. That hurts big time. No shame though if the computer gets the job done its good enough for me.

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys. i'm willing to create macross stuff for FS 2002 and 2004. i have a low poly valk model i made long ago. it should work if i can find it. only problem is i have 2004, and 2004 doesn't have the plug-in files needed for gmax to export the models. only FS2002 has them. if any of you guys have 2002 let me know.

:) Well, this is my first post here, but the talk about doing a Valk model for FS has got me intrigued. I use 3DMax at work, and I would definitely love to make a Valk model for FS, but I don't know what export tools I would need. Are there any export tools that come with FS2003/2004? And are there limits to polygon count/texture size?

Check out the Gmax proggie - it's a stripped down version of 3DSMax and free. It also supports a "Game Pack" for FS, so there should be no trouble exporting to whatever format FS uses.

Really, you might even be able to make the game pack work with 3DS, it's the same modeling engine (I think...).

:) Well, this is my first post here, but the talk about doing a Valk model for FS has got me intrigued. I use 3DMax at work, and I would definitely love to make a Valk model for FS, but I don't know what export tools I would need. Are there any export tools that come with FS2003/2004?  And are there limits to polygon count/texture size?

Check out the Gmax proggie - it's a stripped down version of 3DSMax and free. It also supports a "Game Pack" for FS, so there should be no trouble exporting to whatever format FS uses.

Really, you might even be able to make the game pack work with 3DS, it's the same modeling engine (I think...).

It would be no problem to export to FS with Gmax, you have to have FS2002 Pro though. FS2002 Standard version and FS2004 don't come with the plugins needed to export. So if any of you have the Pro version let me know. I've already got a few models ready to test.

Matter of fact, you can't. It is the same core engine, but it's different enough to disregard gMax plugins as "obsolete" plugins that won't load (at least with Max 4 and 5, haven't tried 6 yet). However, gMax can import .3ds files, so you can do all the work (modelling, animation, the ALL important LODing, mapping, grouping and naming nomenclature in 3DS and then export to gMax, and use it just for exporting to .mdl (FS mesh format).

I used to work on some VF-1 series for a mothballed Starlancer mod (meshes complete: ALL the VF-1 series with Fast Packs, VT-1, VE-1, VF-4, VF-11B and C; and working in a VF-9 before I lost contact with group) but after the announcement of 2004 I decided to delay them and rework them into a higher poly versions (currently only the VF-1 got the make up, been busy <_< ) for FlightSim. No textures yet, I suck at Photoshop :p . Can post some pictures if you want...

All the pics are available here (click me). for some stupid reason, my computer can't upload them directly to the forums, and Yahoo is enough of a bitch to not allow direct linking.

Anyway, here's what you'll find:

vf1a01.jpg

vf1a02.jpg

vf1a03.jpg

vf1a04.jpg

VF-1A (reworked version, currently 2200 polys, aiming for 3200 at full LOD)

Things to do: LANDING GEAR (since it was originally made for Starlancer, we decided to not include separate control surfaces and land in gerwalk mode), arresting hook, leg/nose joints and maybe a better pilot. ah, and the entire Virtual Cockpit :( And the ever important nomenclature naming and grouping. plus LODing.

V(something)-1 series (other than A. I have also J, but since the only mesh change is the head, it wasn't worth the transfer). 1300 polys models, not yet touched. If I get into the mood, I could upgrade them to the VF-1A detail level one every two days or so (but then again, IF I get in the mood and have enough free time).

VF-4. 1300 polys. Never really liked how the battroid turned out. Probably the only model to be remade from scratch.

VF-9. Still WIP, was mothballed when the mod was. I'll go back to it once I finish upgrading the ones I already have (and figure out how the HELL those wings fold :angry: )

VF-11. 1350. Next thing I'm going to work on after I'm finished with the 1 series. First thing: REMAKE THE CANOPY (I was TOO tired that night...).

I had some prmitive YF-19, YF-21, VF-19F and VF-11MAXL (not Kai, a personal interpretation. I was planing to do Sound Force though), but lost them in a hard disk crash.

BTW, if somebody could lend me some webspace to put some better res images and link them directly here I'd be really, REALLY thanksful. please. pretty please :rolleyes:

Edit: Geocities sucks. The pics aren't showing <_<

Edited by Lindem Herz

matter of fact I'd like to give it a try in photoshop (I can retouch pictures quite easily, but never tried making something from scratch). I have some time, there is still a LOT of things to do (name tagging/grouping; i'm sure I'll spend more time doing that than modeling; and making LODs). One good thing though, while checking the SDK of Combat Flight Simulator 3 I found out that the standard polycount on a full closeup model (LOD_100) is about 9500 polys, so low end computers won't have problems using my models (aiming for a 3200, 3800 MAX polys for model).