Newstype top 25 Anime of ALL time

Ladic

Aha, I knew ADV published Newtype USA...

So, so far, that would mean that ADV owns or controls:

Newtype USA

Suncoast

The Anime Network (The ADV Network)

Well, plus the fact that Anime Network shows mostly ADV stuff..... BTW Best Buy owns Suncoast Video and Sam Goody stores.

Aha, I knew ADV published Newtype USA...

So, so far, that would mean that ADV owns or controls:

Newtype USA

Suncoast

The Anime Network (The ADV Network)

Well, plus the fact that Anime Network shows mostly ADV stuff..... BTW Best Buy owns Suncoast Video and Sam Goody stores.

I thought they sold off Sam Goody/Suncoast/Media Play a while back.

Agreed that this is a very poor list. Was this a reader contributed list or was this generated by the magazine staff?

Hell, crap like this doesn't matter. There just isn't 10 bucks worth of interesting content in NTUSA. I'll buy a copy and will have read everything by that evening, I prefer a magazine with long articles that are actually interesting. NTUSA is just pretty pictures with captions.

Ten? Try over twelve now.

best anime of all time : gunbuster

best dvd realese of an anime of all time: gunbuster

best ova of all time: gunbuster

need i go on?

There was a reigon 1 DVD release of Gunbuster? When? I mean I know the region 2 DVD release rocks.... but I thought MANNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAA was still sitting on the rights to it and had yet to produce a region 1 DVD... I'm sure this list only concerns R1 releases.

Because ADV publishes Newtype USA. Besides, I was being sarcastic.

Aha, I knew ADV published Newtype USA... hence the whole "why would they need paying they are making money off Robotech, thing" I also sensed you were being sarcastic... so was I. :lol:

no. I have the r2 remastrs. it comes with a nice booklete card some other cool bonus crap.

The most glaring ommision from that list is Lupin III. Love it or hate it (and there are legions of people since the 1970's who love it), you can't deny that it is one of the most loved and respected anime series of all time. That list is so garbage.

Most of them were made within the last 10 years?

I think this list is for the American audience, not Japanese. Anyways, RT is on there. That just says it all.

The only 2 on that I would even consider on that list is Ranma 1/2 and Akira. But those are "vintage" and deserve that recognition. Everything else is too new.

POS magazine gives a POS list... period, specially since it's only made with the US point of view... normally the above mentioned magazine always makes a lot of propaganda to what is showing on cartoon network (another POS in my opinion) and the americanized versions of the shows, I've never liked the way they handle the shows around here, on most of the other dubbed versions from another countries they respect a lot the content and try to be as close as posible to the original around here we get a total change, for example why they changed the music in Dragon ball Z, specially with the crap they're using? and why they change Mr Satan's name with Hercule? I understand the religious and other things involved, but hell! don't show it if you have to bastardise something! what we need is a channel that shows everything in japanese and uncut, the way it should be, about the magazine and the list my opinion is that it's a complete "robotech" case..bleh..

Later folks :(

By the way, before somebody takes these as an attack of some sort, it is a constructive critisism, don't star having weird ideas, no flames this time

Edited by macplus

Well, ill consider it a "released in the USA best of" list and make some comments..

Let's see who I can piss off, eh? Ill also consider it series based otherwise the complete lack of Ghibli productions makes this list almost criminal.

1 Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ok, its pretty important, but in the long run the series kinda sucked ass at the end, and the movies pretty much ruined whatever good vibes (well as good vibes as such a dark at the end show could have..) they had left. Mostly popular for deviants lusting after 14 year old Rei Ayanami these days.

2 Cowboy Bebop

Still haven't seen it, but its widely popular. Sure, ill bite.

3 Inuyasha

If the manga is any indication this is PURE UNADULTERATED SUCK.

4 Rurouni Kenshin

I enjoyed the hell out of this series, but best? No. Its a less stupid Dragonball Z in a historical setting with attempts at making the super samurai crap less unrealistic.

5 Trigun

Haven't seen it, don't really care.

6 Fruits Basket

Haven't seen it, REALLY don't care.

7Robotech

Important? Absofrickinlutely? A personal love of mine? Sure. Best ever? NO.

8 Ranma 1/2

BECAUSE THE SAME BARELY FUNNY JOKES ARE EVEN MORE FUNNY OVER 200 EPISODES HAR HAR!! Mediocrity can't be the best ever. Its the Friends of this list except Friends was actually laugh out loud funny for the first few seasons before diving into the same old mediocre crap. Ranma pretty much hit it before the end of the first "season".

9 Love Hina

BECAUSE HAREM ANIME GIVES SAD LOSERS SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO JERK TO WHEN REI AYANAMI GETS BORING.

10 Sailor Moon

Important, especially for really getting the female fanbase started? Yeah. Best ever? NO. Its a formulaic sentai show with miniskirts instead of ranger helmets, and sweetness instead of toyriffic giant robots.

11 Hellsing

Haven't seen it.

12 FLCL

Haven't seen it.

13 Fushigi Yugi

Read some of the manga. It sucked.

14 Chobits

More sad loser jerk material from the queens of pretty art but utterly ass storytelling, CLAMP.

15 Akira

Ok.. now its the only movie on here? OVER MIYAZAKI AND GHIBLI WORK? WTF?

16 Tenchi Muyo!

The only non annoying harem anime that exists to the best of my knowledge. Still, its not that great im just easily amused by incredibly hot female space cops. Its an overall fun happy series. Dunno about best ever though.

17 Azumanga Daioh

FINALLY A SHOW I CAN AGREE BEING ON THE LIST. Its just so heartwarmingly cute, fun, and happy.

18 Initial D

Haven't seen it.

19 Dragon Ball Z

This show is for retarded children, a formulaic anime equivalent of goatce. IT IS CRAP.

20 Vision of Escaflowne

A solid show, but I dunno.. its missing a certain something...

21 Full Metal Panic!

The manga blew.

22 Gundam Seed

Ok manga, but its just a retold 0079 Gundam mixed with the bishiness of Gundam Wing. Its not the most important or popular US released Gundam, and its not even close to the greatness of War in the Pocket or 08th MS Team.

23 Wolf's Rain

Haven't seen it, but ive heard its got the highest recap episode percentage of like any anime ever, something like 4 eps in a 26 episode series or something. Supposed to be good otherwise.

24 Cardcaptor Sakura

More CLAMP crap. Only seen 1 episode of the Nelvana dub, but given CLAMP's so far unstoppable record or sucking more than Michael Bay movies, I doubt this one is any different.

25 Excel Saga

Ive only seen a handful of episodes, but the manga is pretty awesome. Im not sure its TEH BEST EVAR, but its probably the most intelligent show on this whole damn list.

Let's see, no Ghibli, no movies outside of Akira, mostly shows released in the last year or two.. yep.. utter crap idiot fan pandering. Worthless.

I'm going to add my thoughts in after yours... cause their are a couple series I really , really disagree on.

Ok, its pretty important, but in the long run the series kinda sucked ass at the end, and the movies pretty much ruined whatever good vibes (well as good vibes as such a dark at the end show could have..) they had left. Mostly popular for deviants lusting after 14 year old Rei Ayanami these days.

-- Eva was okay... had an interesting ending (meaning the End of Eva movie) and I kinda like Asuka's character... but it didn't stick with me.

2 Cowboy Bebop

Still haven't seen it, but its widely popular. Sure, ill bite.

--Only seen a little bit of it not my thing

3 Inuyasha

If the manga is any indication this is PURE UNADULTERATED SUCK.

--It's Rumiko Takahashi and I'm kinda a fan... the Manga's a lot better then the show though (the show get's super repetitive and I beilve the manga not as much). is it one of the greats of all time? No, not even close.

4 Rurouni Kenshin

I enjoyed the hell out of this series, but best? No. Its a less stupid Dragonball Z in a historical setting with attempts at making the super samurai crap less unrealistic.

--I enjoyed ths series a lot... and I think it has a fair bit of importance... it might make it on my list but a lot closer to the bottom.

5 Trigun

Haven't seen it, don't really care.

--Again, it's a fun show... but nothing that special.

6 Fruits Basket

Haven't seen it, REALLY don't care.

--Fruits Basket is a wonderful series... it's cute, funny, and moving to a point. It's also somewhat original how they work the transformation cliche' and how it affects the character's personal relationships. Worthwile watch but not deserving to be on this list.

7Robotech

Important? Absofrickinlutely? A personal love of mine? Sure. Best ever? NO.

--Very Important, not too bad for what it is. Do I care about it anymore? No, does it deserve to be on this list? No.

8 Ranma 1/2

BECAUSE THE SAME BARELY FUNNY JOKES ARE EVEN MORE FUNNY OVER 200 EPISODES HAR HAR!! Mediocrity can't be the best ever. Its the Friends of this list except Friends was actually laugh out loud funny for the first few seasons before diving into the same old mediocre crap. Ranma pretty much hit it before the end of the first "season".

--I gave Ranma a good three seasons before I got tired of everything and only started watching the Shampoo and Ukyo character episodes... like Inu-yasha the manga is a LOT better, the OVAs are also better (the movies suck!). It was interesting up to a point, but Happosai just ruined it. Then it got interesting again later for a bit with Panty Hose Taro, and Saffron... but meh... not a great series, dosn't need to be on the list.

9 Love Hina

BECAUSE HAREM ANIME GIVES SAD LOSERS SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO JERK TO WHEN REI AYANAMI GETS BORING.

-- Ehhh... recently read some of the Manga, don't care about this series at all... the onlything that was funny about it was the line in the first episode of the anime "what's a tokyo? Can I eat it?" other then that... no I don't give a damn. Shouldn't be on the list.

10 Sailor Moon

Important, especially for really getting the female fanbase started? Yeah. Best ever? NO. Its a formulaic sentai show with miniskirts instead of ranger helmets, and sweetness instead of toyriffic giant robots.

--Well Sailor Stars isn't that formulaic and the Sailor Moon Live Action isn't and the manga isn't and the musicals... well they kinda are. ... but the first four series? yeah they are pretty formulaic... personal favorite of mine? Yes... Important? Yes, not so much for the female fan base as shoujo manga was established in 1953... but it revolutionized the Mahou Shoujo genre IMO. Yeah it's a great series... might make my list but would be lower.

11 Hellsing

Haven't seen it.

--Hellsing, great? This series is just messed up... maybe the manga is better I don't know, but Hellsing isn't a top 25? Too much of it makes too little sense for anyone to care.

12 FLCL

Haven't seen it.

--Havn't seen it, don't care.

13 Fushigi Yugi

Read some of the manga. It sucked.

-- Well again the manga is better then the anime, but both versions of this story are quite good... very slow moving but powerful and emotional... I think this might deserve as spot on my top 25... yeah... probably does. The first and Thrid OVA suck though... (the second was great).

14 Chobits

More sad loser jerk material from the queens of pretty art but utterly ass storytelling, CLAMP.

--As good as CLAMP's stuff usually is, I never really got into Chobits... those girl's have had much better stories (Rayearth, CCS so on). I've only seen the first few episodes... is Chii like that the whole series? Why do people like her?

15 Akira

Ok.. now its the only movie on here? OVER MIYAZAKI AND GHIBLI WORK? WTF?

--I understand the movie's importance to Anime (particularly over here) but really... not my thing, I've heard the manga is better... but I don't know about that.

16 Tenchi Muyo!

The only non annoying harem anime that exists to the best of my knowledge. Still, its not that great im just easily amused by incredibly hot female space cops. Its an overall fun happy series. Dunno about best ever though.

--Hey, the Sakura Taisen anime/games count as Harem don't they? what about them? I like the TV series and Pretty Sammy not a huge fan of the OVAs or Movies... and I loathe Tenchi in Tokyo. It's a good show over all... wouldn't make my list though.

17 Azumanga Daioh

FINALLY A SHOW I CAN AGREE BEING ON THE LIST. Its just so heartwarmingly cute, fun, and happy.

-- Havn't seen enough of it to judge... though I love the opening... this one looks a little too silly for me.

18 Initial D

Haven't seen it.

--You know for all the character designs make me want to barf, it's not a bad show... great music and stuff... but not top 25 material.

19 Dragon Ball Z

This show is for retarded children, a formulaic anime equivalent of goatce. IT IS CRAP.

--Okay to watch if I want to induldge in mindlessness... but I agree it's crap and not top 25 stuff.

20 Vision of Escaflowne

A solid show, but I dunno.. its missing a certain something...

-- ehhh... never got into it.

21 Full Metal Panic!

The manga blew.

--Seen one episode of Fomoffu, didn't think much of it.

22 Gundam Seed

Ok manga, but its just a retold 0079 Gundam mixed with the bishiness of Gundam Wing. Its not the most important or popular US released Gundam, and its not even close to the greatness of War in the Pocket or 08th MS Team.

-- I could just c&c your coments and post them here...

23 Wolf's Rain

Haven't seen it, but ive heard its got the highest recap episode percentage of like any anime ever, something like 4 eps in a 26 episode series or something. Supposed to be good otherwise.

--Read some of the manga... in Japanese... it seemed okay... not really my thing though.

24 Cardcaptor Sakura

More CLAMP crap. Only seen 1 episode of the Nelvana dub, but given CLAMP's so far unstoppable record or sucking more than Michael Bay movies, I doubt this one is any different. It might make my list... but Prorobably Magic Knight Rayearth (not the Rayearth OVA... gods not the Rayearth OVA) might make my list in it's place.

--Well what can you say? It's CLAMP... and CLAMP is usually pretty good. despite the butcher hack dub of Nelvana... this is a great series... one of the most original Magical Girl shows I've ever seen.

25 Excel Saga

Ive only seen a handful of episodes, but the manga is pretty awesome. Im not sure its TEH BEST EVAR, but its probably the most intelligent show on this whole damn list.

--It's an okay show... pretty clever how they do parodies of everything... but you have to know what they are talking about or it'll seem stupid. Hyper show... it was funny for a while. Not deserving to be on the list though.

Let's see, no Ghibli, no movies outside of Akira, mostly shows released in the last year or two.. yep.. utter crap idiot fan pandering. Worthless.

--Um I could just C&C your conclusion...

Edited by lord_breetai

Hmm...

1 Neon Genesis Evangelion: Highly overrated. Not a bad show, but nowhere near the best of all time.

2 Cowboy Bebop: Fair enough. Cowboy Bebop is a great series. IMHO, CB isn't #2, but should be in the top 10.

3 Inuyasha: Come on... Inu-Yasha is far inferior to others of Rumiko Takahashi's works that made it to TV. Just because it's moving product and doing decently on CN does not a classic series make.

4 Rurouni Kenshin: I like Kenshin, but it's not quite a classic series yet.

5 Trigun: Good show, but not that good.

6 Fruits Basket: Shojou fluff.

7 Robotech: I will not dignify this one with a remark.

8 Ranma 1/2: The list is rigged if Ranma and Inu-Yasha are on it, but not Urusei Yatsura!

9 Love Hina: Pointless Harem show. Nice mental floss, but otherwise... for a good harem show, move Tenchi Muyo up a few notches!

10 Sailor Moon: I cannot believe someone was serious on this one...

11 Hellsing: Haven't seen enough to judge.

12 FLCL: This one was pretty groundbreaking, although "classic" is a major stretch.

Haven't seen either 13 or 14, so it's unfair to comment on them.

15 Akira: Finally...an anime production that belongs prominently on the list.

16 Tenchi Muyo!: This one should have been given pride of place ahead of a lot of the other flavors of the month. A much better "harem-style" show than Love Hina and one with a weighty plot to boot.

17 Azumanga Daioh: This one might have a spot, but it'd be at the bottom of the list.

18 Initial D: No. Just no. It is a stupid, insipid show which is just Dragonball Z on wheels.

19 Dragon Ball Z: Who are they kidding?

20 Vision of Escaflowne: Haven't seen

21 Full Metal Panic!: It's a nice mecha actioner, but doesn't belong on the list.

22 Gundam Seed: What about Mobile Suit Gundam, Z Gundam, 0080, 0083, 8th MS team, X Gundam, Char's Counterattack? I'm shocked they didn't put Gundam Wing there!

Haven't seen 23 or 24 either.

25 Excel Saga: Although I dearly love this show, they should let it on a list of classics only when the Three Stooges are admitted into the AFI's top 100 list.

Here's my own list of anime classics, in no particular order:

1. SDF Macross TV & DYRL

2. Grave of the Fireflies

3. Space Battleship Yamato

4. MS Gundam 0079 movies

5. Cowboy Bebop

6. Urusei Yatsura TV

7. Bubblegum Crisis

8. Lupin III: the Castle of Cagliostro

9. Sen to Chihiro (Spirited Away)

10. Macross Plus

11. Arcadia of my Youth

12. An Angel's Egg

13. Ghost in the Shell

14. Patlabor (any)

15. Last Exile

16. Tenchi Muyo!

17. Akira

18. Lupin III TV

19. Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer

20: Project A-Ko

21: Princess Mononoke

22: Gundam: Char's Counterattack

23: Gall Force

24: You're Under Arrest!

25: Nadesico

Edited by Pat Payne

Pat, you can't possibly be serious about Gall Force? I highly recommend Escaflowne tho it still has no place on that list (thanks to the rushed ending).

Cory, I'm glad you never even tried to defend or even attempt back up your BS claim to defend this craptacular list.

This list has singlehandedly underminded ANY respect I might've had for NT:USA. The fact that homotech is even on that list is just damn degrading... and the only Gundam to make the list is SEED??? Give me a break. Don't get me wrong, SEED has it's moments, but I can count on 2 hands the number of Gundam series that I would rather watch, and I thought were more significant.

Whoops. I was looking at the Anime Insider article, which is listing the best DVDs. Didn't realize I wasn't reading Newtype.

Good cuz otherwise I was gonna think you were losing your mind. :lol:

lol, that makes a little more sense... I've NEVER put stock into anything Animeinsider has ever said... fanboyism runs rampant through their editor's office.

Not only that, but Animeinsider, much like its sister mags Wizard and ToyFaire are nothing but big, sloppy wetkisses to the mags advertisers. There is little professionalism or objectivity in what I've read in AI. I like Newtype, but I think it got emasculateed early on when they dared to give a negative review-- a fair one, IMHO, on End of Evangelion -- when Manga got their noses bent all out of joint and complained so loudly that Newtype and ADV publically apologized. After that they seemed to have reduced themselves in their stateside coverage to an echo chamber.

2 Cowboy Bebop

3 Inuyasha

4 Rurouni Kenshin

5 Trigun

6 Fruits Basket

7Robotech

8 Ranma 1/2

9 Love Hina

10 Sailor Moon

11 Hellsing

12 FLCL

13 Fushigi Yugi

14 Chobits

15 Akira

16 Tenchi Muyo!

17 Azumanga Daioh

18 Initial D

19 Dragon Ball Z

20 Vision of Escaflowne

21 Full Metal Panic!

22 Gundam Seed

23 Wolf's Rain

24 Cardcaptor Sakura

25 Excel Saga

sensors.jpg

Sailer Moon is better than Akira???

I doubt a poll of Japanese fans would be much different. Probably the only old show that would be on that list would be Gundam 0079(since they've been beaten over the head with it). Maybe throw in the first Gatchaman series but the rest would most likely be newer shows.

I doubt a poll of Japanese fans would be much different. Probably the only old show that would be on that list would be Gundam 0079(since they've been beaten over the head with it). Maybe throw in the first Gatchaman series but the rest would most likely be newer shows.

I don't know sometimes some anime leave an impression... and dosn't Newtype do a poll of most popular series every month? I remember Sakura Taisen was on it for a long time...

and I know one magazine did a poll for most popular female character, which Nausicaa was number 1 on for years and years... So sometimes older things can stick around more. (edit it was animage "Nausicaä was number one on Animage's monthly reader poll of favorite characters for over six years")

But then again for the most part in Japan, shows are almost forgotten the moment they are off the air... or that's how it seems to me.

Edited by lord_breetai

I have to say that I agree with the view that it was made up by teenyboppers.It would be nice if more more efforts were made to made to preserve and restore classic anime,sentai,kaiju in America and Japan.Maybe animes like GodMars and Queen Millenium are dated especially if they take place in the year 1999,however they have to be judged by the technology and views of that time.I think it would be cool to get people like Forrest Ackerman and the Mueseum of Modern Art film department on our side to help.Forrest Ackerman for those not knowing who he is has the Biggest sci-fi library and collection in the world in L.A.He has things such as the Maria robot from the 1920's Metropolis,One of Bela Lugosi's capes,and published some of Ed Wood's novels in the 1950s.The MoMa has some Godzilla films in it's collection thanks to Martin Scorsese who acquirred them through the Director of the First Godzilla movie Honda while Scorsese played Van gogh in Kurosawa's Dreams.Honda was Kurosawa's assisant director on most of his pictures.It's damn shame a magazine like Newtype doesn't lead that effort.If they're appealing to just teenyboppers I'm losing my respect for them.But I would read that over Animerica any day.And I don't remember the title of the anime web site review page,but the reviews for Galaxy Express 999 and the Phoenix movie

were only so-so because the person judged it by it's technical aspects in animation.

I'm thinking what's with this knucklehead?Those two animes helped paved the way for the Anime boom.It's that type of attitude that keeps great animes from getting their due in America.It would be nice if more people who had film history backgrounds gave Anime fair reviews and was studied seriously.For the longest time in the U.S. the only critic give Anime good reviews and fair hearing was Roger Ebert.Bottom line is to keep anime fandom from becoming a flash in the pan fad need more help from the film history community.

Dunno, I think the Japanese would certainly have a better perspective considering they have a lot more history and larger base of shows to draw from. Remember, often when we see lists like this from the Japanese, there are shows on there like Doraemon that aren't even released in the US.

When I saw Love Hina in the top 10 I automatically knew this list was pure crap. And coming from that magazine, I'm not surprised. And I like Wolf's Rain, but c'mon, it shouldn't be in a top 100 all time list. With the low rankings of shows like Escaflowne and the complete absense of anime classics like Gundam 0079, Galaxy Express 999, Lupin III, all Miyazaki films, blah, I could go on forever, this list is a complete fraud.