An old G.I.Joe jet as Macross?

gian7675

I got to see one at either ANime Expo '02 or '03 at the Macross Panel, it was assembled straight out of the kit, very underdetailed for its size and proported cost. plus it is not transformable. There was a project where someone got one and was going to make it full variable, or at the least a better detailed then the hasagawa.

what was the cost?

Ohhhh man. THat thing(matchbox valk) is super cool. Almost looks like a yamato 1/48 with that fat bubbly nose. AWWWW man, I got to get one of those. Just add some panel lines and lights in the thrusters, and yippeeee. It will put any yammy to shame. I can't wait to get one now. Especially since everybody hates it, that means I can get them cheap. All right..........Christmas is coming, Im genna ask Santa for one right now!

Heh.

Actually, light-up thrusters would be pretty cool...

Ohhhh man. THat thing(matchbox valk) is super cool. Almost looks like a yamato 1/48 with that fat bubbly nose.  AWWWW man, I got to get one of those. Just add some panel lines and lights in the thrusters, and yippeeee. It will put any yammy to shame. I can't wait to get one now. Especially since everybody hates it, that means I can get them cheap. All right..........Christmas is coming, Im genna ask Santa for one right now!

Heh.

Actually, light-up thrusters would be pretty cool...

yup.

post-4-1102672320_thumb.jpg

I remember the regret I felt as I child when this toy line was released. I could not understand how my Strike Valk was the pinnacle of awesome and yet how allegedly the same mech could be so lame in this bottom feeding abomination. The only Robotech mech I bought was the “Invid Shocktrooper” and even with that I would just pretend you could not open it up and drop an action figure in there. I kept hoping Matchbox would come correct and bring the Chunky Monkey to our shores but alas it was not to be!

For something worse than the toys.. Anyone else remember these commercials with the lame ass theme song?

It’s Robo Tech!!!!! To the resss cuee!!!

I was the one working on making it transformable. It's on my website, Masterforce.org. http://www.masterforce.org

Here's the current direct link to it: http://www.pimbrecords.com/mfo/3.0/customvalk.html

Also, if you're interested in the big old Valkyrie toy, the Exo-Squad/Robotech reissue is a lot cheaper. Here's my review of that: http://www.pimbrecords.com/mfo/mf4.0/rot31.html

And I'm kind of stuck on my project getting the toy to transform, because I can't figure out a way to cut the chest in half. Any one got any suggestions?

I would suggest cutting it with a Dremel tool (or equivalent). Mark out the line and perhaps scribe it first with a scribing tool, then cut away. You'll end up having to add sheet styrene for the lip or bevel as well as quite a bit of putty to smooth it out.

Any further modification is going to require a lot of cutting and your original paint job is going to get ruined in the process, so you're looking at a full paint job when finished. A custom paint job with some 1/55 stickers would probably work OK.

It might be out of proportion and a little ugly, but I think it would be awesome if you could finish this project, even just to prove it can be done. How about a built in heat shield while you're at it! :p

Well, I have no Dremel tool and certainly can't afford anything like that. Oh well.

Yeah, I already know when it's done I'm gonna need to totally paint it, which is why I used a yellowed old piece of crap to begin with. This is quite a bit larger than a 1/55... I highly doubt the stickers would work. Maybe I can figure out some way to upscale them? Aside from the nose, almost everything is directly stolen from the 1/55 design-wise so the shape of the stickers should be fine.

from what I gathered about this travesty is that there are actually a few versions, some far easier to customize than otheres. I tried to make one transform but rqapidy lost interest when my ceaper exosquad one didn't match the directions I auired from a one-eyed leabonese arms dealer. Apparently the oringinal was supposed to transform but the standard HG vs Bandai vs whoeverelse got in the way so they had to substitute certain pieces with non-transforming equivilents just enough to satisfy whoever makes such decisions. Thats why if you look at it you wonder why there are shoulder hinge bars when there is no way to utilize them.

I took picks of my attempts before I fragged the whole thing in frustration but as my computers are still in a box somewhere around here they aren't getting uploaded anytime soon.

regardless, with either version the back plate is going to suck ass any a dremmel is highly recommended. TO cheap for a dremmel?!?!? get a job you hippie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Else get a "fret saw" and do it the slow ass way. Either way p[ost pics so others can learn from your mistake.

Anybody want step by step pics of how to make and original AT AT into a pipe bomb... wait... I already got yelled at once for things that go boom so forget I mentioned it :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
to the dismay of Sebastian......taaaaadaaaa :lol:

brings back memories when you looked at your old chunky monkey when it was first got.

christ even the head on that ugly sucker is that of a VF-1J!!

but the colors are that of roy's S!!!

The challenge now is to custom this ugly thing at least make it

not soo ugly.

any takers??

I would suggest cutting it with a Dremel tool (or equivalent). Mark out the line and perhaps scribe it first with a scribing tool, then cut away. You'll end up having to add sheet styrene for the lip or bevel as well as quite a bit of putty to smooth it out.

Any further modification is going to require a lot of cutting and your original paint job is going to get ruined in the process, so you're looking at a full paint job when finished. A custom paint job with some 1/55 stickers would probably work OK.

It might be out of proportion and a little ugly, but I think it would be awesome if you could finish this project, even just to prove it can be done. How about a built in heat shield while you're at it! :p

about suggestion.

did you already cut the valk in half yet??

I sorta screwed up on a mod ages a go, need to find pics of them.

once you cut the thing in half get a piece of hard plastic sheet. That would

be the thing that fold over. the problem is making it stiff when turning it back into avalk.

if so try getting your hand on same hard plastic bits that used

to be where you screw stuff in (removingthem from the valk arms is wise since

they dont acutate except for the swingng part anyway)

find spots to glue the plastic screw in bits you took out.

now here is the tricky part. Use the paperclips to make a "swiwing" joint

bend em and cut them thick staples are good also copper ones not too brittle

My mistake was making cetral plastic as one piece and makinga hole in it

andplacing the head on. If I were to do it again I'd make 2 plastic bits

and leaving a gap to put the head. Possibly mount the head on the back of the

cockpit body with some sort of accuator that can flip upward.

By doing this basically destroying the back and underside near the back so that the bit that holds tha arms

can fit in to rpovide more stranghlth.

It really sux, cant seem to find a place taht sells

hard plastic BIG chunky accuatators even juts knee joints.

side view like a book

||0----0||

|| ||

|| ||

|| ||

|| ||

|| ||