Between Z Gundam and Char's CA

mikeszekely

Is there anything... radio dramas, manga, novels, anything at all... that gives any details about what happened to Char? I mean, Amuro was starting to get his fighting spirit back, and it's not suprising that he, Astionage, and Bright wound up in Londo Bell (since Londo Bell looks like it was probably comprised mostly of former members of Karaba and the AEUG).

But Char... Char vanished mysteriously at the close of Z Gundam, and was probably presumed dead. And Neo Zeon was defeated at the end of ZZ Gundam. So, where was Char during the years between his dissapearance and the events of Char's Counterattack? How'd he go from fighting a corrupt government to head of a military dictatorship? Where/when did he get Sazabi? How'd he wind up with Axis?

There probably are sources however, most of them can be found in the mecha descriptions, like those found at MAHQ.net.

Char most likely retreated to the Sweetwater colony after Zeta. It was there he gained his following while another Neo Zeon faction rose to the occasion. Char actually resurfaced a few months before Char's Counterattack. During the roughly 4 year gap between the end of Z to CCA, char was able to build his forces. Char enlisted Anaheim Electronics to build his MS fleet. This point was highlighted in CCA. Anaheim Electronics is a huge corporation. Char and the Londo Bell group both commisioned AE to produce mobile suits. The reason they never caught wind of each other till it was too late was due to the fact that each side got a different section of AE building MSs for them. This is how Amuro got the psycho-frame, kind of. Char intentionally leaked the psycho-frame technology to section of AE he got way back and it made it's way to Londo Bell's AE group.

How did he get Axis? IIRC, he pretty much bought it. No more aggression if Earth gave up Axis and Char's fleet surrenders at Luna II. That's where Char faked them out. Earth thought he would surrender at Luna II, but he actually wiped them out and retook Axis.

(this is all in CCA, buy/rent it and watch it)

edit: just some corrections.

Edited by azrael

Money wise, char's probably one of the most richest guys in the system....afterall he did give Sayla enough money too live for the rest of her life very comfortably. And being the son of Zeon Diakum you carry alot of credit, hell just the name of Char Aznable is good enough for an IOU or 2.

Of course, right near the end of ZZ Sayla and Bright have a brief discussion on the whereabouts of Char and what his plans where. It seemed to my opinion they have seen some sort of a movement occuring, with Haman out of the way it leaves Char as to be the most powerful ruler of Neo Zeon.

Also, when you get right down to it, Haman's motives with Neo Zeon were down right confusing, it was either destroy earth or take it over and rid of the federation while having complete control over everything and everyone.

However Char's was simple, to rid the system of impurities you have to go to the source, Earth. Doing so he'd need alot of backing, persuasion, and a giant astroid, hence Axis. Now Axis was already in control of Neo Zeon originally. But after the fall of Neo Zeon with Haman in command, the Federation took complete control over Axis which I believe was used for just about NOTHING.

What's more is the federation still being complete idiots, either they got an over bearing ego trip or they're totally afraid of being taken over and will grovel at anyone.

Another thing, I believe Amuro during that big gap was already back in the fighting spirit. I believe he was piloting either the RGZ-91, or another variation of the original Zeta Gundam...but I remember it was pink and white. I can't remember the title but it was released as a short movie in 3D with Amuro saving some refugee's from getting killed while decending to Earth's orbit....not sure if it was during Zeta....or Double Zeta.

Sorry, partially off-subject and I believe answered before:

Do Char and Amuro die at the end of CCA? Why Char's change of heart? Or did they go the Macross Zero route and evolve to pure energy, etc?

Both of 'em died, it's not clear on the movie, but the novelisation clears this, I don't know if they became energy, angels, turds or whatever, but they both died when the psychomu overloaded and blew the mobile suit. By the way, it's a great ending, but I admit that it's sad that both died, it was kinda of an end to a whole saga... oh well