Macross Since 1983

tyberius

As I post this message, I'm attemting to download 'Macross Another Story'.

Thanks to all those who posted the info on where to find it and how to get it.

I should have it in about 2 days...WHEEEEEE!!!!! :D

However, I was actually seaching for 'Macross Since 1983'. Does anyone know of ANYPLACE ON EARTH to find a copy with the instuction manual (no, I don't read Japanese; I just have this... THING for actual game instruction manuals!)

Since I've played 'Macross: Eternal Love Song' for the PCE I can't seem to get enough Macross gaming with the exception of Macross shooters... I don't like them much at all.

I've seen where I can get 'Macross VO' but 'Since 1983' seems much tougher to find for purchase. I came SO CLOSE to getting it from Ebay back in 2000 - 2001 but lost out on bidding because I wasn't sure what kind of game it was despite the TINY front and back box photos, so I wasn't very aggressive in being the high bidder. I LET IT SLIP THROUGH MY FINGERS!!! NOOOOOOO!!! :blink:

Can anyone help me to aquire this rare gem of a Macross game?

(I kinda like these emoticon thingies... B)) )

However, I was actually seaching for 'Macross Since 1983'. Does anyone know of ANYPLACE ON EARTH to find a copy with the instuction manual (no, I don't read Japanese; I just have this... THING for actual game instruction manuals!)

Can't help, but I understand your pain.

Complete games are so much better than naked disks/carts.

I actually have the original of 'Macross Since 1983'. Sorry, not for sale though.

Graham

You could scan the pages, pretty please??? :D

Can someone torrent it possibly? I tried IMacross, and I got disconnected, and I don't want to wait 2 months to get it via eDonkey.

• 1 month later...
I actually have the original of 'Macross Since 1983'. Sorry, not for sale though.

Graham

OK, now I'm desparate!!! Would you happen to have a handy little CD backup program called BLINDWRITE? And if so, would you be willing to attempt to make a copy or two or three for sale? I would never ask a devoted Macross gamer to part with an original (assuming that the last person I saw selling it on Ebay was NOT a devoted Macross gamer, of course... ;) ) eventhough I REALLY want an original. At this point I truly am desperate indeed! If you are willing, just name your price.

Oh, BTW...

Have you played 'Macross Another Story' which I think is the game that's up on the FTP? If so, how does 'Macross Since 1984' compare to 'Macross Another Story' as far as gameplay is concerned? Which one do you favor more?

• 3 years later...

Graham, et al.

Any chance of someone listing what the mouse commands are inside of the rhomboid map screens?

I figured out the unit inspections, end turn, etc... but can't figure out how to actually move MY units.

I love strategy games, so this looks like fun... but I am having trouble actually getting started.

What's a SofMap??? :huh:

It's the name of an electronics store. If you're ever over here and you have some questions about computers (and speak Japanese), they are the best when it comes to answering.

http://www.sofmap.com/

They sometimes also have a great selection of used DVDs/games as well. Though (and this may only be applicable to the store nearest me) the used game section has been shrinking of late, with the PS1 stuff gone completely. It may be more productive to search in Bookoff, as they still have a large PS1 section (and presumably, not that I've searched, largish sections with games from the same era.) I've found in another used book shop quite far off the beaten path, a significant number of used Famicon (it may have been Super Famicon) games!!

Edited by sketchley

Scan-lation:

Information

Small map

Victory condition

(??) map**

System

Turn end

** 2nd kana is illegible. The 1st is battle or fight. Probably means overall battle map. But as I don't know the game... the only advice I can give is press it, and see what happens.

Scan-lation:

Information

Small map

Victory condition

(??) map**

System

Turn end

** 2nd kana is illegible. The 1st is battle or fight. Probably means overall battle map. But as I don't know the game... the only advice I can give is press it, and see what happens.

It does work out to be the overall battle map. There is a larger grid showing nearby conflicts, and the smaller skirmish map for the skirmish you are involved in.

Here are pics showing both, along with a "squadron screen". (For some reason, the unit menu doesn't show on screen caps.)

post-1691-1216025752_thumb.jpgpost-1691-1216025774_thumb.jpg[attach

ment=55691:1983_squadron.jpg]

post-1691-1216025738_thumb.jpg

Edited by daeudi

Misc Game Info:

There seems to be at least 104 unit types involved, including EVERY VF through the -22S.

(including the Sound Force Kai's, destroids, SDF, Megaroad, and of course the enemy mecha... and the stuff from MII)

UN SPACY 'Squadrons': Arch-Angel, Bright Eyes, Universal Nuts, Pendragon, Flame Force, Black Knight, Illusion Vipers

There seems to be 20 distinct victory conditions (as well as scenarios(?)). The choices you make and the battles you win definitely affect the next battle you fight, both in experience and equipment. and you apparently gain skills as you progress.

Edited by daeudi

More Info:

VF-1 Movement costs 5 as F, 10 as G, 15 as B ... A stat increases from 36 to 55 (Fighter to Battroid)... I believe it is Defensive (Dodge). **

VF-1 Fighter mode: Gunpod fires at right angles only* (Forward, Back, Left, Right), Head Laser fires at right angles only, Missiles fire any direction

VF-1 Gerwalk mode: Gunpod fires any direction, Head Laser fires at right angles only, Missiles fire any direction

VF-1 Battroid mode Weapons: Gunpod fires at any direction, Head Laser fires any direction, Missiles fire any direction, Melee attack at right angles

Gunpod: range 4, Head Laser: range 3, Missile: min range 4 - max range 7= Target and 2 additional square blast radius.

=============================

I'll stop with just that starting board info, unless I get requests for more.

=============================

* You turn to face your target

** It starts withh the 3rd/middle character(s?) of the fourth stat (value 60) of the squadron info screen above.

Edited by daeudi

Sketchley was kind enough to give us a scanlation of the map commands... now I have a pretty good image of all the commands (Mainly because yellowlightman pointed out the obvious).

Hopefully someone will be kind enough to provide the rest of the translations :lol:

The unit commands are on the left, and the already translated map commands on the right.

post-1691-1216594178_thumb.jpg

Sketchley was kind enough to give us a scanlation of the map commands... now I have a pretty good image of all the commands (Mainly because yellowlightman pointed out the obvious).

Hopefully someone will be kind enough to provide the rest of the translations :lol:

The unit commands are on the left, and the already translated map commands on the right.

post-1691-1216594178_thumb.jpg

daeudi,

I'm not seeing the 'already translated' commands in your post, is there supposed to be an another image perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the menus and screens for this game are created using .BMPs

If we could get them translated, then a quick bit of Photoshopping could mean an English Version!

(At least for the combat boards)

It seems that almost everything except the storyline could be translated.

I would post them all, but it seems excessive.

I'd gladly do the work, but I have no ability in Japanese at all.

(Which renders my use of PShop pointless.)

However...

I am willing to BEG for this one to be completed:

post-1691-1217562280_thumb.jpg

Edited by daeudi

My begging can stop now :lol:

I got this much done of it, using NJStar Communicator and its Radical Lookup.

(combined with Google Translation)

I have tested this, and when replacing the original bitmap on the "CD", it works fine.

It still needs finished, but I am having trouble with these last two.

post-1691-1217648051_thumb.jpg

Oh well, moving on to some other 'scanlations'

Once I have all these done, I plan on adding them to one of the iMacross servers- so people can mod their own.

Edited by daeudi