Astray Red's flight pack

thedarkmarine

Well, I'm trying to make the HG 1/144 Red Astray's flight pack.

I'm sorta a newbie so I'm looking for cheap solutions. I also lack the resources to scratch build parts.

I was thinking of buying the 1/144 M1 and using that pack, but I'm not sure where to get the two wings. I was I was thinking of using getting some cheap F-14 kip but the angle is a tad too sharp. I was hoping that there would be people here that can identify which wing would work. If anyone else has tried to do this, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a pic that has a profile of the wing.

post-3-1102130885_thumb.jpg

Edited by thedarkmarine

hi good luck, you should make the 1/100 that would look even cooler :) by the way are you on gundamwatch? i could have swore I saw someone on there with the same idea just recently. good luck with your project i hope you post pics.

chris :)

I'm using the 1/144 force impulse gundams flight pack, it's closer than the M-1's and has nearly identical angles. Good luck. Mines going to be in flight, but disconnecting from the FP, sheild and gun, going for the sword kill.

The things all assembled, just gotta get done with other projects.

Doh! I just noticed, if you take the horizontal wings off of the Force impulse FP and put them on the M-1's fp, it's almost the exact copy of the Astrays !!! All you need to do is square off the ends of the wings with a hobby saw.

The picture here is the first time I've ever seen the red Astrays flight pack from the rear. I also plan on having one of the red frames arms gold. Anyone know which arm is the on that gets damaged?

Edited by f91

I'm using the 1/144 force impulse gundams flight pack, it's closer than the M-1's and has nearly identical angles.

The picture here is the first time I've ever seen the red Astrays flight pack from the rear. I also plan on having one of the red frames arms gold. Anyone know which arm is the on that gets damaged?

The right arm is the one that gets exploded in the manga. It's also the Gold Frame's right arm that's found in Heliopolis, and the right arm of the Gold Frame that's replaced with Blitz's right arm. I like the idea of putting a Gold Frame arm on there. I think it's a neat idea.

As for Impulse - no, the Force Silhouette is not very similar to the Astray flight pack at all. Really, the Astray flight pack is very similar to the M1 flight pack because it is an M1 flight pack (though modified, of course.)

I'm planning to do one by taking the parts I need from the M1 kit. That'll involve hacking up the M1's torso parts (because the M1 pack is actually fused to the M1's torso) but it shouldn't be too bad.

For the (horizontal) wings... personally, I'd leave 'em out. I hate them. In the OVA the Astray ejects those wings after a certain period anyway. They're reasonably similar to VF-1 wings but I can't think of a VF-1 kit that would be the right size for that. The old 1:144 Valks maybe? Or maybe the 1:170 trading kits? If you can find them...

• 2 weeks later...

The model is only half done. The gold-seams issue will have to stay, however all color boundary issues will be dealt with. This is just a progress report. I would add that this picture shows much more than you can see with the naked eye. The picture is actually much bigger than the model.

I plan on having the model mounted on a rod, in flight, ejecting the gun and shield, going for the sword kill.

post-3-1103679212_thumb.jpg

Edited by f91