Z Gundam DVD Set Myth or reality

As far as we all know, What was once an October, pushed to November is now December the 14th unless either A) another flood occurs B) Horrible Winter Storm in California, or C) Big Nuclear Fire occurs. A few of us are betting on C

As far as we all know, What was once an October, pushed to November is now December the 14th unless either A) another flood occurs B) Horrible Winter Storm in California, or C) Big Nuclear Fire occurs. A few of us are betting on C

I am offended by all your biblical talk!

:p

Can you see that up in the sky? Why, it looks like someones taken a space colony and is dropping... it... on to the... Earth...

...no Zeta Gundam set this Universal Century, folks! :p

Seriously, though, I'm really, really looking forward to this. I recently got a chance to see some ZZ Gundam, and while that was an experience (Gundam does "goofy!"), its rekindled my taste for Gundam at the moment...

The series was mostly designed for kids, espically the first episode where it says, "Name these mobile suits and send your post card marked to Side #---- and win a trip to Jupiter!" than there's a lil disclaimer "Really don't believe that....its a show!"

Somewhere just after they leave the desert on Earth is when things begin to get atleast more serious and almost confusing. There almost seems to be plot holes big enough to stick Fat Albert in.

The second half starts to lead in where Char's Counter Attack would take place. During the last few episodes Sayla makes an appearance or two with Bright asking the where-abouts of Char and what his plans were going to be, obviously not friendly.

PS ZZ Gundam (Gundam does Goofy???) I dont get it

Goofy - not serious, wacky.

As I've been led to understand, Yoshiyuki Tomino - the creator of Gundam - was tired of it by the time it came to making ZZ Gundam and so he attempted to sabotage it by making it silly (which may explain the good quality animation but the very light-hearted feel compared to the grim-as-possible Zeta Gundam). This is reflected in its opening theme, "This ain't Anime!".

Apparently, about half-way through, Tomino had a change of heart and ZZ Gundam became more serious, but not before a lot of damage had been done. I've only seen a few episodes of ZZ Gundam and can't personally say whether the tone of the early episodes does change later on.

Tomino got the offer to do an original Gundam movie (Char's Counterattack) so he started working on it right after Zeta wrapped. ZZ was being directed by someone else until he finished his work on the CCA movie.

The director of the first half of ZZ also wrote the series novelization. I believe he also worked on another Sunrise anime, Vifam, which had a similar storyline (orphans in space).

Well with the knowledge that Bandai is acting shops that did pre-orders to pay up yesterday is the second to final step to completely finishing this massacare of waiting and test of patients. We have lost so many people :'( they will be sorely missed!..........wait............no one died.....dammit if a few of you died for the cause of Zeta it might have come out faster!!!!!

Heh heh...atleast I got my christmas present coming now :p

One question: I heard that this Z Gundam set is going to be limited edition. Will there be a second, non-limited (and hopefully cheaper) pressing?

One question: I heard that this Z Gundam set is going to be limited edition. Will there be a second, non-limited (and hopefully cheaper) pressing?

No one's certain as of yet. Bandai's made a few allusions to it, but seeing as they aren't too hot with releasing older titles... (still waiting for them to do something with SPT Layzner and Giant Gorg which they licensed a few years ago) I really don't know what to think.

so is this zeta series any good if someone has never seen gundam?

You'll still be able to enjoy it, yeah. Though you may get confused in some spots and you won't notice the returning characters... it'll still be an enjoyable experience.

lol I got a fantastic mark down off mine, TMP was almost 75% off MSRP. I don't think though that we'll see a "None limited" individual release or anything....Bandai is really hurtin in my opinion on those old releases.....but really its their fault for that too.....in the early 90's with Power Rangers and the less stricked censorship laws compared to today would have been an amazing canadite for TV like Toonami and such.

Wont make a whole lot of sense unless you atleast watch the Triology Gundam 0079 movies.

Yeah, I think either that, or the Gundam novels. If you ignore the ending of the Gundam novels, the events of Zeta make a lot more sense. In that context the Titans don't seem at all out of place in the Federal Forces. Neither the original TV series or the Gundam movies really portrayed the Federation's Earth Elite satisfactorily. The novels also give a better presentation of the different "Newtype" ideas (Zeon's, Zabi's, Revil's) and their relation to the psychic phenomena which became associated with the term.

Basically, I feel like if you see the Gundam Movies, and then Zeta, it's as though the existence of the Titans, and their overzealousness and autonomy is the only explanation for why the "good guys" of the movies (the Federation) are now the bad guys - and that leads to a different conclusion when the Titans are finally defeated, as though that fixes all the problems with the Federation. But in the context of the novels, nothing the Titans ever do seems out of character for the Federation, and their defeat at the end is more like the corrupt organization (the Federation) losing some power and beginning their decline. Rather than the "Evil Part" of the Federation being exorcised, I think it's good to recognize that the "Evil Part" still exists after Zeta, it's just weaker. This makes Char's decisions in CCA much more understandable, and Amuro's position in CCA somewhat harder to justify.

But when seeing Zeta it's definitely good to at least be able to recognize the original series characters who pop up, and the events they draw upon. A lot of the series draws on the original Gundam - you can probably follow along without being familiar with the original Gundam, but really Zeta was written for people who were already fans of the first Gundam after it became a hit.

Okay the stuff currently out by Bandai in the states.

MS Gundam TV SERIES

MS Gundam Triology Movies (3 2 hour movies from the TV Series)

MS Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket (6 episodes based on the final week of OYW)

MS Gundam 0083 StarDust Memories (13 episodes creates plot holes for Zeta)

MS Zeta Gundam

MS Gundam Char's Counter Attack

MS Gundam F91

Only two NOT out here in the states which conclude the UC timeline is Double Zeta just between Zeta and Char's Counter Attack. And to Conclude after F91 is Victory Gundam....you could also add G-Savior if you wanna...since that's WAY after V Gundam......but....there's really no point at all.

And that pretty much conclud

Edited by Hikuro

Okay the stuff currently out by Bandai in the states.

MS Gundam TV SERIES

MS Gundam Triology Movies (3 2 hour movies from the TV Series)

MS Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket (6 episodes based on the final week of OYW)

MS Gundam 0083 StarDust Memories (13 episodes creates plot holes for Zeta)

MS Zeta Gundam

MS Gundam Char's Counter Attack

MS Gundam F91

Only two NOT out here in the states which conclude the UC timeline is Double Zeta just between Zeta and Char's Counter Attack. And to Conclude after F91 is Victory Gundam....you could also add G-Savior if you wanna...since that's WAY after V Gundam......but....there's really no point at all.

And that pretty much conclud

You missed the 08th MS Team OVA series.

Skip the MS Gundam TV series, it's English-dub only and is missing an episode, allegedly at the director's request. Hold out for a dual language, complete edition to come out.

Aw damn I KNEW it, I just KNEW I forgot something!

Not only 8th MS Team based just a few months before the end of the OYW, but also Millers Report which isn't really much of anything but takes place after Shiro is rescued and than suspected of being a Zeon spy or defector.

I also think there's a 0083 Stardust Memory movie....but can't remember.

Personally on the 0079 stuff, just get the movie triology....its uncut and japanese only....but I don't think its been remastered.

They slapped together the Miller's Report movie so they could run the Endless Waltz movie in Japanese theaters. It's nothing more than recycled footage from the first half of the series stringed together by the new "interrogation" scenes.

The 0083 movie, Last Blitz/Fading Light of Zeon, was a marketing tool for the final episode, which has not been released prior to the movie's theatrical run. It was another marketing gimmick to get otakus to shell out the cash. Most of the first half of 0083 has been left on the cutting floor, as the movie focuses on space battles only. It was only released on home video (VHS & LD) in Japan.

you could also add G-Savior if you wanna...since that's WAY after V Gundam......but....there's really no point at all.

Indeed, I envy those who never saw it...

I prefer the movie trilogy to the series myself. The plot's intact, most of the characters are still present, and it flows a lot better IMO. There's no "monster of the week" mecha present either... (even though I kinda liked the Zakrello... :ph34r: )

Hey welcome to MacrossWorld haro genki!

Edited by haro genki

Tomino got the offer to do an original Gundam movie (Char's Counterattack) so he started working on it right after Zeta wrapped. ZZ was being directed by someone else until he finished his work on the CCA movie.

I did wonder - after all, I'm about six episodes into ZZ and only one person has died... :-)

(whilst working on the earlier Zambot 3, Yoshiyuki Tomino allegedly earned the nickname "kill 'em all Tomino", due to the very high character death rate... )

i'll pick up the movie trilogy

Any news about the Zeta movies, did the first one came in Japan yet ?

Nah, not yet.

However, it was shown at a film festival. Gunota managed to get in contact with someone who attended and saw it... (and his feedback wasn't very promising :( )

I don't think they're going to be done as well as the MSG Trilogy, but that's almost expected when you decide to make a compilation 20 years later as opposed to 2 or so like they did with MSG...