Phantom 2040

areaseven

Just awhile ago, I was talking to my co-worker about some bad movies. One of them was that horrible live-action adaptation of The Phantom starring Billy Zane. In the middle of the discussion, I suddenly remembered the animated series Phantom 2040. Though not as groundbreaking as Batman: The Animated Series, Phantom 2040 had a decent story and some pretty good visuals. And it even had a decent voice cast - Scott Valentine (Dark Aegis in Iron Man) as Kit Walker/Phantom XXIV, Margot Kidder (Lois Lane in Superman I/II/IV) as Rebecca, J.D. Hall (Blade in the Spider-Man animated series) as Guran, Ron Perlman (Hellboy, Vincent in Beauty and the Beast) as Graft, Dustin Nguyen (Vinh in 21 Jump Street) as Tran, Deborah Harry (of the band Blondie) as Vain, Leah Remini :wub: (Carrie in The King of Queens) as Sagan, and Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker in the first Star Wars Trilogy, Joker in Batman: The Animated Series) as Dr. Jak.

So anyway, has anyone here seen this series?

phan2040.gif

Edited by areaseven

Yeah, I remember it. I was never able to catch all the episodes :( but the ones I did catch were pretty good for American Animation. I'm trying to remember how many seasons they ran ( 1? ), but I do know that the pollution angle storyline was never resolved. Too bad. They had some good ideas in there.

On thing that struck me as odd, at least for a show aimed at kids, was how mature and well written some of the characters were, even the villains.

Edited to add: One other freaky thing about this thread. I had been thinking myself about this show earlier today. Ooooo Wooo Ooooo!

Edited by The Shade

I remember it but didn't watch. Too bad. It sounds like a pretty good show.

I think Defenders of the Earth(?) left a bad taste in my mouth. I think it had the Phantom and Mandrake and some other people. Given the crappiness of that show I just assumed that it would suck too.

I remember it but didn't watch. Too bad. It sounds like a pretty good show.

I think Defenders of the Earth(?) left a bad taste in my mouth. I think it had the Phantom and Mandrake and some other people. Given the crappiness of that show I just assumed that it would suck too.

Phantom 2040 didn't suck at all. Comparing it to Defenders of the Earth is like comparing Justice League to Superfriends.

BTW, I don't quite remember, but didn't Peter Chung (Aeon Flux, The Animatrix) do the character designs?

While I absolutely hate the Aeon flux character design style, it was pretty toned down & tame in Phantom 2040. The show itself was pretty good though. Maybe I'm one of the few who did manage to actually catch the whole thing (right to & past him finally finding his father, and discovering the true nature behind the major accident that had occurred), but I definately liked it.

The one episode that sticks out in my mind is the leader of a space colony considering he and his fellow children of the stars far more superior than their Terran counterparts. If by "Superior" he meant living out your existence in zero gravity with bones as brittle as pocky, then I guess he was bang-on. ;)

Edited by Yang_Neumann