VF-0B 1/72 finished.

Grayson72

Great job, Grayson. By the way... I thought you were just a buyer... good to see you are a builder too! Great stuff. Those seams on the VF-0B are very well sealed! And you kept the panel lines!! That's usually my biggest problem.

Wow... sweet Grayson. Very nice. :o

I thought that most buyers were builders. I never saw the point of buying a bunch of models but never building them. You can never appreciate it that way imo. I'm sure most are just not as willing to post pictures... like me. :mellow:

I'll post pictures... eventually. :D

Thanks, I had to rescribe the panel lines but the right tools always makes it easy.

What tools do you use to rescribe the panel lines? And, where can I get 'em?

BTW, great job on that valk. How about a line-up photo of all your finished 1/72 scale models?

For panel line scribing I use several tools, one is a set of Hasegawa line scribing saws I got from HLJ. I also have various other scribing tools I got from that hobbysearch.com store. They've got great tools.

Here's the line up not including the B that was just done.

post-3-1101271727_thumb.jpg

Grayson, that's a great 0B! I've got mine waiting in its box for its shot at the construction table, and I hope that I can do it the kind of justice that you have :)

On a side note, we didn't actually see the 0B in Macross Zero did we? The only two-seater I recall was the 0D. Where did the B come from? Hasegawa's imagination? Is it supposed to be a trainer? I assume that the tandem cockpit of the D was to mimic the Tomcat, but the F-14 needs a back-seater for interception and weapons operations duties. The replacement in the fleet, the F-18E uses advanced computer guided weapons in place of a back-seater. Why would the 0D or 0B need a tandem crew?

Inquiring minds want to know :D

Sean

Thanks for the kind words, I have no idea where this version came from cuz it wasn't in the video's. It is the SPW, the Space Proving Wing. So I imagine these would be fitted with the nuclear engines and will be their first foray into space. Maybe you need a two man crew for space ventures? One to fly and one to collect data or something.

Edited by Grayson72

Hasegawa didn't make up the two seater. The compendium says that a two seater VF-0A exists. I have a nice picture of one, but in all honesty its too huge to post, but if you look for my Episode 5 color scheme thread you might be able to catch a glimpse of what I'm talking about. Anyway, Hase dubbed the model 0B so that it wasn't confused with 0A, but again in all actuality 0B is the two seater 0A. Hope that helps.

Hasegawa didn't make up the two seater. The compendium says that a two seater VF-0A exists. I have a nice picture of one, but in all honesty its too huge to post, but if you look for my Episode 5 color scheme thread you might be able to catch a glimpse of what I'm talking about. Anyway, Hase dubbed the model 0B so that it wasn't confused with 0A, but again in all actuality 0B is the two seater 0A. Hope that helps.

ill post it then. ;)

Hmm, interesting. I can understand why Hasegawa would give a different Alpha designator to the two-seater--most military a/c are designated in such a manner (The F-18D is the two-seat trainer version of the F-18C), but that still doesn't answer the question of why a back seat was added?

I keep wondering if the VF-0B was designed to be the VF-series lead-in trainer, before the VF-1D and VT-1 rolled off the lines--the 0B would have been closer in spec to a 'standard' fighter for most pilots, and thus would provide a good transitional traning a/c before moving into flying the VF-1.

Just a thought.

Sean

on edit: Thanks for the pic AlphaHX!

Edited by whytwolf

For certain missions a second crew member is desirable. For instance when operating weapons like a Maverick in a fast jet like the F-16 it is very difficult to fly and target small vehicles like tanks. The A-10 flies slow enough for this though.

This is even more important when flying in adverse weather and at night. The French AF ordering more 2 seater Rafale is an indication of this trend.

This is even more important when flying in adverse weather and at night. The French AF ordering more 2 seater Rafale is an indication of this trend.

I would expect the VF series of fighters to have advanced cmputer systems, thust making a second crew member redundant. However, if they did provide a back-seater for bad weather/night operations or other reasons, why didn't those design considerations carry through to the VF-1 series? Only the trainers have a tandem cockpit--not even the ELINT Valks have a second crew member (although the Cat's Eye does)

Just doesn't make much sense to me unless they're meant to be trainers.

Sean

Ooooh I can't believe you remembered that. It's like 90% complete, I have to attach the fastpacks on the back and then what's really holding me up is the last arm armor. The first one was such a pain I'm dreading doing the other side :( .

Actually the Elintseeker does have two crew members.

My Bad. I stand corrected.

That said, I'm thinking an ELINT version of the 0B would look REALLY cool as a conversion :D

Sean

Ooooh I can't believe you remembered that. It's like 90% complete, I have to attach the fastpacks on the back and then what's really holding me up is the last arm armor. The first one was such a pain I'm dreading doing the other side :( .

how can i forget that. i bookmarked it 3 times :) .. so got any pix???