Image Request for Spartas Hovertank

wolframbane

I am working on designing a profile of the Spartas Hovertank, as seen in Super Dimension Century Southern Cross. Would anyone have any high resolution line images of the Spartas in its different modes (battloid, tank, hovercraft). I was hoping to come across profile images (front, side, rear, etc.) or links to such images. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Specifically I was looking for line images that came on the instructions from the Robotech Veritech Hover Tank toy produced by Matchbox in the 1980s. Below is a low-resolution example of what I was searching for.

post-2-1101003028.jpg

You may wish to post this thread in the "Other" section as this has absolutely nothing to do with Macross. Or you can have a mod move it for you.

Double post too. Mod, plz correct this.

Cant help you with Southern Cross images. If you need anything from Macross, I'll be glad to help you out.

Gluck with your search. :)

Meh. It's OK. A Valk, Aestavelis or Vanship would blow it out of the water, lookswise. The Spartas is definetly "no nonsense," but it's pretty vanilla in its design.

It's an eyesore.  What a way to ruin someone's day by looking at that thing, and seeing the word Robotech and Vertiech all in the same topic.

No one asked your opinion

Peter, what's your opinion?

:p

Yeah, definitely not the prettiest mech, and fairly low on my list of faves.

You can tell that the intentions of the design was to make a big, hefty, rugged looking mech, but then some of the "artistic features" which are thrown in just screw the whole thing up.

Edited by the white drew carey

It's an eyesore.  What a way to ruin someone's day by looking at that thing, and seeing the word Robotech and Vertiech all in the same topic.

You can tell that the intentions of the design was to make a big, hefty, rugged looking mech, but then some of the "artistic features" which are thrown in just screw the whole thing up.

Damn, not 24 hrs. after the thread opened and we got to be badmouthing SC. Good job guys. <_<

In honor of this repetition, I'll pull out our old favorite:

What RT/SC bashing has become

20021213l.gif

Damn, not 24 hrs. after the thread opened and we got to be badmouthing SC. Good job guys. <_<

In honor of this repetition, I'll pull out our old favorite:

What RT/SC bashing has become

20021213l.gif

Hey Wes... shut up.

Just because I don't like the design, and I commented thusly, doesn't make this an RT/SC hate thread.

You just think that because you can throw in the "Oh, this thread has devolved into love/hate so quickly and I just know it has so I must be great" that you obviously must be sooo tired of it all, and are so weary of it that you have to post how tired you are of the repitition.

Go back and read what I wrote:

1) I made a joke asking Peter's opinion because 1stBRD kind of shot him down.

2) Then, I posted my opinion of the design itself, which I feel to be particulary weak- and I am completely entitled to post my opinion, especially when I posted the reasons why I dislike it.

At no point whatsoever did I say that RT or SC sucks. YOU are the one who decided that I must have said so, and therefore you could so cleverly post your disdain for the love/hate argument and then post the pretty little comic, and therefore seem wise and witty.

Don't be a chump.

Edited by the white drew carey

Drew I'm sorry.

I got what you were saying before you replied, and it wasn't meant to be a personal attack. Your post was just at the end of that trail. But when newer people come here wanting to find out information on RT and SC, it seems that criticism comes out in excess, and it's annoying. Not the biggest deal, but we should try to stop it.

Maybe my way of expressing my opinion of it was in poor tact (it has been a long month). If so please forgive me, I'll be willing to edit my original post.

Drew I'm sorry.

I got what you were saying before you replied, and it wasn't meant to be a personal attack. Your post was just at the end of that trail. But when newer people come here wanting to find out information on RT and SC, it seems that criticism comes out in excess, and it's annoying. Not the biggest deal, but we should try to stop it.

Maybe my way of expressing my opinion of it was in poor tact (it has been a long month). If so please forgive me, I'll be willing to edit my original post.

We're cool.

My opinion Drew? Haha, I hate it. I think it's hideous. I hate Robotech too, but that's not really the point.

Wow, that's the first time I've been accused of trolling. Never even in my almost 1000 posts from the old forum have I been accused of trolling. Accused of hating Robotech, yes, but not trolling. I have lots of good things to say here at this forum. Albeit, it's mostly about Macross and certainly not about Robotech, but there's no need to accuse me of being a troll.

I guess I could probably be defined as a troll if I went over to the Robotech website and started to preach how great Macross is.

And Ladic, while you're accusing me of being a troll, what about the angry drunk here on this forum who tends to curse like a sailor? Would he not have troll-like tendancies?

Ladic, you hurt me man. I'm very demoralized.

Edited by peter

What "features" are you referring to?

I think, overall, the angled facets on the legs, and the multi-tiered chest/torso connection to the smaller waist just doesn't really gel well with me. At a time when mechanical designs, especially variable ones, were riding the fine line between plausability and aesthetic likeability, I feel that the Spartas fell safely into the first catagory but, for my tastes, far outside of the second.

Although the bad guy designs are fairly well done, I simply feel that the variable designs from SC fall a tad short. Slightly above Go-bots bet well below just about every other variable mecha design.

Well....before its even mentioned....let me once again reiterate something for the terminally stupid.

The Sniping Clapper (Transport) Mode of the Spartas is NOT designed for battlefield combat operations except in extreme situations. It is for reconaissance as well as serving as a battle taxi. The fact that there is no cover to protect the pilot that we see in Southern Cross is not a design flaw. People who don't even understand what the damned machine is designed to do need to get a clue.

I disagree. IIRC, the pilot is also uncovered in GERWALK mode, when they are being used in combat operations, ala early tank destroyers in WW2 (the German Marder series and the US M-10 Wolverine also suffered from being combat vehicles with no real protection for the crew -- Marder had just a front glacis plate and the turret of the M-10 was open-topped) That is very much a design flaw, if your pilot/gunner can be picked off and killed easily while engaged in combat, particularly in a vehicle meant to further assaults and therefore probably a main target for enemy countermeasures!

Edited by Pat Payne

Well....before its even mentioned....let me once again reiterate something for the terminally stupid.

The Sniping Clapper (Transport) Mode of the Spartas is NOT designed for battlefield combat operations except in extreme situations. It is for reconaissance as well as serving as a battle taxi. The fact that there is no cover to protect the pilot that we see in Southern Cross is not a design flaw. People who don't even understand what the damned machine is designed to do need to get a clue.

Heheh. Having flashbacks to RT.com's thread? I know the feeling :D

There were also a lot of self-proplled arty designs that were open-topped in WWII, e.g. the M7 Priest. It's true these were made for indirect fire, so the walking cannon isn't a perfect analog.

I don't know if snipers were the big problem with open-topped designs or enemy HE artillery.

Anyway, I'm willing to cut the SC Spartas a lot of slack; I find the design reasonably attractive and I enjoy the series quite a bit. Not so crazy about the GMP mecha and some of the others which are far more guilty of the "angular esthetic" (they remind me of Bizarro); I know everyone hates the Logan so I won't say any more about that one. Rather surprised at the popularity of the Auroran--I guess it's mostly from the looks in battroid mode since I the helicopter mode really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Rather surprised at the popularity of the Auroran--I guess it's mostly from the looks in battroid mode since I the helicopter mode really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Well....

actually, we never see the helicopter mode in Southern Cross. Its always shown in the Fighter and Battloid configurations. The Helicopter mode only exists in sketches as the series didnt last long enough for the Aurorans to be used in their Ground Attack (Helicopter) mode.

post-26-1101117660_thumb.jpg

I know everyone hates the Logan so I won't say any more about that one.

See, that's the thing (and will probably give you an insight into my tastes), I actually like the Logan design quite a bit, much more than the other variable mecha from SC. It's very utilitarian and just plain nifty.

1stBRD- Defend it all you want, I simply believe that a lot of people think an open cockpit on a variable tank like the Spartas is simply silly. Not only from a defensive standpoint, but imagine what it must be like to be operating in crappy weather, even with those suits on.

1stBRD- Defend it all you want, I simply believe that a lot of people think an open cockpit on a variable tank like the Spartas is simply silly. Not only from a defensive standpoint, but imagine what it must be like to be operating in crappy weather, even with those suits on.

If the pilot was exposed in say Battloid mode, I would agree with this statement. The Walking Cannon/Gladiator mode is really for long distance assaults.

As for the cover, well, they are shown in the series and the 15th is only put into the mix for the 2nd Offensive maybe 2 weeks (and thats stretching things ALOT, more like a few days) after the 1st Offensive. That indicates these were in stores and not simply crafted.

Given that the 14th & 15th ATAC are attached to an urban garrison, not having a cover for their Spartas is not considered a flaw. Look at pictures of current US Army convoys in Iraq, and there will be gunners on the 12.7mm machinegun atop the Abrams. This is no different.