MGS3 first impressions

Skull Leader

I'm really liking it so far! The control system works very well, although I rather dislike the whole "degrading silencer" thing, even if it may be a little more realistic. Be ready for a lot of dialogue at the beginning, but then... everyone seemed to expect that. It doesn't bother me I think it does well to set the scene.

He does his HALO jump from an AC-130A (the newer ones certainly weren't available then), but I don't recognize the electronics gear on the nose... don't know if it's just advanced radio gear or what... either way it looked cool.

I bought it tonight and have not been able to play it yet... my wife saw it and started playing it while I made my dinner.

... she is still playing... <_<

From what I have seen and overheard from the living room the game seems very long on cutscenes and dialogue like MGS2... then again I am still waiting my turn to play, I've only played the demo hands on.

Also the lack of a widescreen mode for us HDTV players is yet again disappointing... GTA is onboard with it why is MGS still behind?

I bought it tonight and have not been able to play it yet... my wife saw it and started playing it while I made my dinner.

... she is still playing...  <_<

From what I have seen and overheard from the living room the game seems very long on cutscenes and dialogue like MGS2... then again I am still waiting my turn to play, I've only played the demo hands on.

Also the lack of a widescreen mode for us HDTV players is yet again disappointing... GTA is onboard with it why is MGS still behind?

You mean to tell me that I can't utilize all 70 inches of my TV? DAMN THEM!!

Edited by Fatalist

This game is really starting to kick ass... the medical system they employ is very innovative, and the food is quite diverse.

I too, was surprised to see Raiden :) It's really exciting that he made it into the game after so many people thought he sucked.. just goes to show that Konami knows better than to listen to whiny fans who can't seem to grasp the concept of a different hero :)

Edited by Skull Leader

actually, no... there aren't more cutscenes than playing time <_< I just said the cutscenes are long. And the dialogue isn't exactly "dumb". I hate it when people judge a game without even trying it... regardless of what previous installments had.

Edited by Skull Leader

I finally got to play it when my wife went to bed late last night, here are my thoughts:

- while the lack of the soloton radar makes awareness of your surroundings a bit difficult it does add to the realism and the "keep your eyes open" element of the game.

- the gameplay has had a few things added that make it fresh but it still has all the elements there from the previous games that allow the older players it get into it.

- It's not so much the "cutscenes" that are long but the radio conversations, just like previous MGS games the characters just looooove to yak... along those same lines Hideo's "beat the player over the head with his views" scripting is still there. I wish I could play a MGS game without having to be spoon fed this guy's psudo politics on everything.

- Much like GTA: San Andreas' added character features most of the added "suvival" elements in the game are simply additional Secret Agent Tomigotchi sort of stuff that is simple to do, does not take you out of the game and can sometimes be fun.

Now onto my questions for other players who have gotten further / know more about the game than I (no spoilers though):

- what is the deal with the "question" at the beginning before it asks you for the difficulty setting? Does answering differently change something in the game?

- I think I found the infamous "Raiden" that people have mentioned... not what I expected and kind of goofy... then again all you have to do is play Snake Vs. Monkey to see just how goofball this game can get.

The only "something I hate" for this game is the viewpoint. You can not adjust it or to change it.

But I guess this is also a good thing. It forces me use the scope/first person view to check the surrounding and plan out where I have to go... :lol:

I had a lot of fun of killing in this game... it is so "snake style"

EVA is a babe too... she is one of the best 3DCG girl in video game history. :D

The only "something I hate" for this game is the viewpoint. You can not adjust it or to change it.

You can adjust the camera angle/position slightly using the right analog stick if I understood you correctly.

I answered that I prefer MGS2, will have to replay with a different answer to see what's changed. I think it's just easter eggs/minor details that got thrown in depending on which game you choose. Have people who chose MGS1 been exposed to a lot of goofy/inside jokes?

My Wife picked "MGS2" and I picked "MGS1" and so far we have not seen any differences... then again she is way farther ahead than I am.

Most of the goofy stuff in the game (other than the typical strange "obvious this is a game" dialogue the characters have... you know the kind, like when people tell Snake "push X button" and such. That kind of thing really takes you out of the game IMHO) that I have encountered was in the Snake Vs. Monkey mode. Heck the whole opening dialogue between Snake and what appeared to be Colonel Campbell from MGS1 was a riot. The other bits of goofyness that I've encountered have of course been the whole "Raiden" thing :rolleyes: and a few other choice pieces of dialogue that have just been bizzare.

I still absolutely love the end of 2, SPOILERS!

When the game says "Fission Mailed" and gives you the Mission failed screen, but you have to keep fighting, and when Campbell babbles on and on, and then when he turns into a skull. That genuinely creeped me out.

When the game says "Fission Mailed" and gives you the Mission failed screen, but you have to keep fighting, and when Campbell babbles on and on, and then when he turns into a skull. That genuinely creeped me out.

I cracked up over that. I thought it was hilarious when the game started to appear to mess with your mind by telling you things like "don't you have better things to do than play video games?" and stuff like that, along with the Fission Mailed glitches. I almost started thinking that my PS2 had overheated when all that weirdness happened.

Most of the goofy stuff in the game (other than the typical strange "obvious this is a game" dialogue the characters have... you know the kind, like when people tell Snake "push X button" and such. That kind of thing really takes you out of the game IMHO) that I have encountered was in the Snake Vs. Monkey mode. Heck the whole opening dialogue between Snake and what appeared to be Colonel Campbell from MGS1 was a riot. The other bits of goofyness that I've encountered have of course been the whole "Raiden" thing :rolleyes: and a few other choice pieces of dialogue that have just been bizzare.

Hahaha, the Snake vs Monkey thing was the first thing I checked out last night. Hilarious stuff. Good thing you don't need to do anything to unlock it.

Some of the goofy stuff I noticed included Para-Medic's reference to an American remake of a Japanese movie. Why would she know about it when this was taking place in 1960s, when the Japanese original first appeared?

If you leave the mission failed screen on for a while, the text changes. Maybe that's what it's referring to...

Some of the goofy stuff I noticed included Para-Medic's reference to an American remake of a Japanese movie. Why would she know about it when this was taking place in 1960s, when the Japanese original first appeared?

That is the trick though, is she not referring to "Godzilla" which was released in 1954 in Japan but was then re-edited with Raymond Burr footage added and released in the US around 1962 or so? Technically Godzilla was "remade"... and they went out of their way to show it listed in the timeline in the booklet... :unsure:

*spoilers, beware!!!!*

Yeah, Para-Medic's continuing references to various movies is pretty funny... I especially loved the one about the Jame's Bond movies, Snake mentions that although he hates the concept of James Bond, he can't help but comparing himself to him, while the Major is a diehard JB fan and says "I wouldn't be surprised if they made 20 more of those movies!!" Let's hear it for tongue-in-cheek humor, eh? Then Para-Medic gets pissed off at Snake because she would have to listen to him ramble on and on about Bond after their radio conversation.

ack!!

Anyone tried to tackle "The Sorrow" yet? I've tried everything I can think of (including NOTHING) and I'm not sure how to pass this guy... any help at all is appreciated (none of the FAQs at GameFAQS are of any help, obviously.. they all cover the demo only.

hey all ok,

well without spioling anything this game has one of the best "almost at the end of the game action ever"! you guys are gonna walk away from this game, by just getting close to the end of the game, knowing that it was well worth the 49.99 paid!!!!! :D

all i can say is that is is completely and utterly electrifying action...and i mean not just one but layer upon layer of action!!!!

it is almost orgasmic!!!! :D man what a rush!!!

anyway i am now fighting the final bad guy" the boss" and this bitch keeps kicking my ass,

for those of you at this piont, any suggestions? :blink:

bah, anyone with half a working synapse and a little understanding of how action movies (as well as previous metal gear titles) work can see in the first 30 minutes of the game that "The Boss" is going to be the last one to deal with. In fact, there is a very clear hint towards the very beginning of the game that this would be the case.

Although I've not reached that point in the game, I pretty much had it figured out by process of elimination.

bah, anyone with half a working synapse and a little understanding of how action movies (as well as previous metal gear titles) work can see in the first 30 minutes of the game that "The Boss" is going to be the last one to deal with. In fact, there is a very clear hint towards the very beginning of the game that this would be the case.

Although I've not reached that point in the game, I pretty much had it figured out by process of elimination.

You mean "The Boss" isn't the boss?!!? OMFG!!!!11! :rolleyes:

At the start of the game, they aask you

"Which MGS do you like?"

a.) I like MGS1

b.) I like MGS2

c.) This is my 1s time playing MGS.

and then followed by difficulty setting.

I wonder what that affects?

I just played about 30-45 minutes, encountered my 1st prey...urmm...i mean....ppl i have to sneak past and stopped.

Comments: David Hayter....is crap. I hear him in almost all game english dubs. Snake sounds more exagerrated than he already does in MGS3, and I'm not sure who writes his lines... lame lines don't make big boss! :angry:

I think the XM16 rifle is under the bridge on the virtuous snake mission, and on the second operation, it's inside the weapon barrack next to the building where the scientist is held. I could be wrong though.

Also, the questionaire at the beginning is just some joke with regards to a mask