Macross DYRL TC Design Thread

Lestat

Hope this is big enough

Zentreadi-Auto-MP-Detail.jpg

Bigger one here

Blown up image

The clamshell doors on the underside can open horizontally or vertically, your choice.

-----------------

Protocultures never really had a need for feild mining in combat until the start of the galactic civil war and later, the Protodevlin containment war. Faced with the need to provide their Zentreadi army the ability to gather resources on their own and not rely on mineral convoys to their Factory sattelites, two competing companies set to work on making a feild mining model acceptable for the Zentreadi.

Esbelbien, the manufacturers of the Regult and Feild Recovery pod made their Tauro-Oquilem type pods and coined the name 'Mineral pod.' Their competition was in Zililina, one of three designers that focused on automated weapons systems for the Zentreadi. Zililina produced this vehicle, an automated Mineral Pod, to counter the Tauro-Oquilem.

Though many of the Protoculture felt that automations were inferior to clone-piloted units (hence the lack of drone-type military units) they felt that with mining such a small task it was unessisary to use capable clones on mining missions. besides, with automations were immune to Supervivion army subversion, so much the better.

Easily manufactured, the Zililina Moluqe No.4 type Automated Mineral Pod is the most common utility vessel in the Zentreadi army but is hardly ever seen. And unlike it's counterpart in the Meltran Special navy the Moluqe's only useful function is mining- any other use is guaranteed suicidal for the craft. Assignment to drone control of these ships is considered humiliating and dishonorable.

-----------

Long winded background, but it covers both of my pod designs.

As for the Autulean-Ailele I added the blurb about attacking capital ships because I thought it would be a neat trick for these harvesting craft to close and cause damage on enemy vehicles. And if I get the armed Melt resource platform sketched, it would make the Meltrans an unfriendly force to face when attacking their resource operations with anything less than a particle-armed capital ship.

Edited by Boxer

Okay, here's an idea toss for the Meltran Resource platform.

Meltran-Resource-plat-conce.jpg

When I thought of the Meltran version of a resource controller vessel I thought up something along the lines of a mobile refinery. It would be more 'station' than 'starship'. Where the Zentreadi Recource controll ship was developed for constant motion and the possibility of combat, the Meltran version is supposed to have a little more permanence about it. Therefore it is armed with a collection of anti-air batteries and missiles and sports heavier armor. It cannot carry or manufacture small craft nor can it move very fast.

The first version is the refinement of what I saw in my mind's eye. It looks sort of like the Melt command ship, but it doesn't have the 'bulk' above and below the midline (Where the resources are kept)

The second concept is the closest to the thing I had in mind for a Melt platform. The only problem is that it has a rotating ring section, and I don't know how to explain this fictionally and I take it it would be difficult and time consuming to model. Still, it's out there.

The third concept came to me when I was looking at the first. Think city in the clouds with more underhaning structure ;)

The fourth one is pretty much no. 3 turned upside-down and given the 'lighthouse' command post at the top.

-----

Give me a shout as to which one you guys like and I'll develop it further. My favorite is 1-2, while my least is probably #4.

The Zililina Moluqe No.4 type Automated Mineral Pod design is pretty good. Looks solid and functional.

The Meltran Recource Control Ship designs are pretty damned interesting looking and do imply, alot, that they aren't highly mobile and just fragile.

Designs 2 & 4 really don't seem to work well as Melt RC designs since they seem to lose alot of their needed functional look. But design 1 would work pretty well as a research station or far flung sensor station. While the #4 design looks like a defense station/base.

Design #1 looks like a simple copy of thier main base. BUT if you removed the larger center pieces and adding more size variance to the small bits in a random and nonuniform way.

Design #3 looks flat out sweet! And I really get a Melt feel from it.

• 3 weeks later...

Although Lestat modified my model and put legs on it, making it something like a cross between Knekadan's Designed craft and a Queadlunn-Rau, a trip back to the Factory facility unveiled their newer Resource collection armor.

Melt-A-A-Neld-Pod1.jpg

This is the Autulean-Ailele Second, based off of demands from Meltran fleet officers and theater operation commands. Like it's earlier sister it has the ability to perform repairs but this is undocumented, and it can also pose a threat to capital ships if it's three-melt crew decides their confident enough to take on a heavier ship and deal significant damage before being destroyed.

Details/notes

Edited by Boxer

Ugh... I didn't model that, the Major did. I think there's a few things that need addressing with the model. I love this new design, especially the four legs instead of two. It's not and should not be a power suit. It's too big, as seen by the scale - which I think Major will now realise is much larger.

Glad to see the 'head' is much smaller. The pilot in there would be either laying down or standing up, but her legs would not be controlling hte legs like they do in a Queadluun Rau for example. I'll tip Major over on the other boards. Looks great Boxer!

Glad to see the 'head' is much smaller. The pilot in there would be either laying down or standing up, but her legs would not be controlling hte legs like they do in a Queadluun Rau for example. I'll tip Major over on the other boards. Looks great Boxer!

Seems you're forgetting the scale of the design as well - it's operated by several pilots, not just one (think the Zjent Quel-Quallie). I still think the original design is best (which is actually more of what we have now).

There were supposed to be three, the fourth one being unmanned because of the lack of documentation on how to use it (the repair operations station, for obvious reasons).

Otherwise it's Pilot, Mining equipment operations officer, and resource collection and storage manager.

• 7 months later...

Time to revive this thread. Hopefully Boxer here is still active and willing to help.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no Meltrandi equivalent to either the Regult Scout or the Quel-Quallie. So, I figure that the Meltohlauendy need some sort of early-warning and/or scout craft.

Thoughts?

Fortunate that I checked this thread...

FYI, I am also active on Forums.relicnews.com as Ceade.

I have just finished watching the entire origional Macross series. I need to get my hands on DYRL? But I have macross designs floating in my head. I'll also try to ressurect the mining platform I posted on Relic, but have since taken down.

UNS resourcer fleet.

New resource collector also.

http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs7/i/2005/202/4..._Norsehound.png

Edited by Boxer

• 2 weeks later...

Heh actualy i really am liking the Platform design and am currently working on it hehe just havent had time to post on it here. as for the resourcer design change im not so sure im ready to give up our current one just yet. how ever as things progress i may find time to change over its model as well.

The present model looked a little underdeveloped and... should I say it? dumb.

The new UNS miner looks better. Hopefully I can get around to posting some more concept art on my site.

I still have that Meltlandi Recon unit...

• 1 month later...

This is a *BUMP*

If it is considered necromancy, kill it for a respawn.

If not, what else needs to be drawn/designed?

And while we're at it, anyone remember the obscure heavy atmospheric attack craft in that hanger scene? Y'know, the flying wing next to the laundry craft?

My DA page has it.

Edited by Boxer

• 5 months later...

Meh. You've seen this design before early on in this thread. I just detailed bits of it, turned down the shading, and drew a Regult for scale. I liked this one better than the automated one that was semi-modled after it was accepted.

• 1 month later...