Tomcat

Tuffskull

What kit is that, I don't recognize that wing-sweep mechanism.

Also, it looks like an F-14B. (Well, close to a B, missing the "shoulder pad" ECM antenna) Missiles appear to be AIM-54A/B, not C. AIM-54C is the only type carried by the F-14B and D AFAIK. Easy to fix, just sand off the 4 little "squares" on the front end of the Phoenix. 99% of people miss this.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Launches? As in being shot off the carrier?

Anyways---for Shin's, it depends. There's earlier and later releases of the Revell F-14D I think, and the later one wouldn't be as good for Shin's. Because it's a more accurate F-14D. (Shin's is actually closest to a B, and its official name in the compendium reflects that, but it has the D's chin-pod which is generally only available from a D's kit--unless you kitbash 2 or 3 pods from an A/B together) Quick summary for Shin's plane:

From an F-14B, add the D's chinpod and remove the forward-most of the ECM bumps under the wing glove. Remove the ALR-45 antenna bumps.

From an F-14D, add the rear ECM bump of an F-14A/B and replace the entire cockpit with an A/B's. Remove the ALR-45 antenna bumps.

Though I dont think any Revell kit has the ALR-45 antenna bumps. (or ALR-50, 60, etc---they keep getting upgraded, but the external bump is identical)

What's the ALR-45 antenna? This one, which is on ALL B's and D's, and late A's. But not Shin's, which makes no sense at all, since every Tomcat since about 1988 has had them. You can also see the next 2 bumps behind it--some A's and all B's have both of them (this is a pic of a B), the other A's and all D's have neither of them. Shin has the rear one only.

Edited by David Hingtgen

The kit is also inaccurate in that it has the fairings for the Pratt and Whitney engines of an F-14A. The GE engines of the F-14B and D look more squared off.

I look forward to seeing the finished product though!

Edited by Skull Leader