Recovering Valkaholics . . .

Kamineko

noticing people are ditching their stuff . . .

I'm wondering what driving factors are causing people to ditch their collections. We all know that life catches up. I'm even thinking of getting rid of my stuff. Buying duplicates is beginning to catch up; its so hard to pack if I change residences . . . and now that I'm focused on a home purchase, I'm not too keen on stuffing the place with valkyries. It's kind of an eyesore to have unopened Yammies sitting in your living room . . .

Here's a brief list of reasons I want to ditch my stuff:

1> Make it easier to move. (I want my collection to fit in 1 cubic meter!) :ph34r:

2> I bought early and have too much crappy Macross stuff. I want to keep only the stuff I think is cool (ie ditch the 1/60's, 1/72's, keep 1/48's, customs)

3> I want to focus on my other hobbies. (My golf clubs need dusting off, or I should sell my collection for a new Canon EF-S lens).

I want to hear reasons why you guys are getting out too . . .

While I have not sold my collection, and don't plan too...I think I can understand some of the problem. There was a frenzy....we all got caught up in it...

I need just one....

Ooops...nope, I need every one

No...now I need two of each...

Need a few extras for customs and cool work Ill do something...but thats all I need

Oh, but I need that too...

Those 5 lines describe my Valkoholism....a few years later I walk into a room filled with the buggers and think...my oh my, how will I ever explain this? My 8 year old thinks there cool...but how lame will he think me when he's 15? My wife deals...but what happens when I run out of room in my room (which I have) I have avoided letting the neighbors see them...but someday they will.... What started as an innocent dip into childhood turned into a wholesale obsession that drew me in entirely.

I love my collection...but 100+ little diecast and plastic variable toys displayed across multiple shelves at some points really does seem absurd. However...I worked to hard to get them...so they won't be going anywhere...maybe Ill thin the display someday.

I took it slow to begin with. I'm only trying to go for the ones that I really really want but I have to admit... sometimes you take a splurge here and there cuz its a deal thats too hard to pass up. :p

My collection aint that big but I'm probably gonna start selling 1 or 2 things here and there to keep me from going crazy. :D

My 8 year old thinks there cool...but how lame will he think me when he's 15?

Hehe, I'm 20 and I'm into Macross. Just hope that he gets into anime and Macross is still around in 7 years. :D If he doesnt get into Macross, I hafta admit, you might want to start thinning down your display. :( At least you think ahead for your kid. Signs of a good father. Keep it up, he might still talk to you when he becomes a teenager. ;)

I admire your enduring passion for your collection. I can relate to your "smuggling" of goods past your neighbors. Over the years I've ordered so much stuff that the UPS/Fedex/USPS carriers know me by first name, and any HLJ packages from other customers addressed to my postal zone have almost always been mistakenly delivered to my residence (damn the last time I saw Scott from HLJ, he said I've spent over 600,000yen with him).

Since I live in Northern California, its hard to justify the cost of an additional room when factored in with the damned astronomical housing prices here, though it is intriguing to create a "Macross Shrine". . . :p

When I found Macross World a couple of years ago, and re-kindled my Macross fandom, I was going to buy two of everything.

Then, I realized that I just don't have the finances to do that with mortgage, kids, wife, cars, bills etc etc.

So, my originally huge collection has now dwindled down to what I consider to be the best of the best.

I only have Valks of 1/48 scale or better, and Gundams of 1/60 scale. So I decided that I like them big and detailed. While this means less physical pieces, it doesn't save me much space or money since the toys themselves are bigger, and more expensive since all I will buy are 1/48 Valks, and PG Gundams. :lol:

The main stuff that I kinda want to get rid of are the 1/60's that were duplicated later w/ the FAST Backs or GBP armor. Now half of my collection is sitting around in boxes gathering dust. The other problem is that you can't unload these for any money now. Who wants to buy regular 1/60's? At least, not for enough to make it worth it to me to sell...

Over the years, I have amassed a huge collection, and no way in hell am I selling out. I have totally outgrown the 2 houses I own, with just toys. One house is basically a storage house. I am constantly bringing large lots of toys to my new house and my neighbors too, always wonder what the hell I do with all my toys. When ever I have to open my garage door, my neighbors are always amazed of all the glorious diecast robots in my garage. I literally have to spider walk or crab walk through my garage and my new house is not far behind. My wifey dont like it, but she already new i was crazy before she married me, so now she got to deal with it. I really dont care what my neighbors think. I have enough spendable income every month, I can buy what ever the hell I want. It aint my fault my neighbors are broke and dumb.

Its funny, the human mind. I often wonder why some of my associates will ask me why I would spend a over 1K or so $$$ on a toy. While, at the same time, I am wondering why the hell they would spend $14k or so on a stupid rolex watch. Was it the free leather case it came with?

Most people are selling out, because they need the cash, or macross collecting was a faze, and now they are over it. But for me, I will keep collecting. I will have doubles, triples, what ever the hell. I do have my priorties straight, and I would never steal from anybody or doing anything wrong for my collecting sickness.

We as anime, macross, chogokin collectors are really a small breed. There was a certain time and age to get into this stuff, and we were part of it. People before us and after us will not understand, just like we will not understand other of different generations.

Side note: one of my future plans are to get one my volkswagens GTI's, paint all dark blue and chrome, and put yellow T-28 stickers all over it. Maybe, I may sacrafice one of my T-28s, and stick it on the hood as a hood ornament. And when I take it to the race track, everybody will wonder what a T-28 is. And if they dont know, they can suck it. <_<

I'm not getting out, but I've also been conservative in my purchases.

Oh, wait, how does "conservative" = a couple dozen transforming Valk toys, half a dozen unbuilt models, a dozen artbooks, a couple dozen DVD's, 8 matchbox toys, and few dozen gashapon?

Make that "relatively conservative" compared to some people. You know who you are!

Anyway, I've always limited myself due to space constraints, personal cheapness, and the spousal annoyance factor. (To my wife's credit, she said the 1/60 GBP, which I finally got recently, looks pretty nice.)

I have sold/traded a few items and I will probably cull a few more to make space and give myself karmic permission to spend money on other Macross stuff. E.g., I sold a 1/55 M&M set shortly before I got my 1/60 M&M pair.

Some of the tenets of my toy collecting:

• I don't need more than one of each toy.
  • Being an SDF Macross TV fan, I don't need all the movie versions.
  • I concentrate on 1/60 scale since it's the most complete.
  • I really don't need more than one of each general type of non-Yamato valk. E.g., I want to keep a 1/55 around because it's the best thing for demonstrating how transformation works, and it's a wonderfully well-built toy, but aside from that I'd rather pose and display the Yammies.

I to am conservative, as far as spending for my collections goes, but not the volume. I usually buy in volume just to save money on shipping or to get reduced prices. I don,t buy so much stuff just so I can have more boxes to pile where ever I can fit it or bragging rights. But, I have learned not to pass up a deal. I would rather find a good lot, and even though I dont need it, I will buy it, than to not buy it, and regret not buying it later. But I dont pay retail, or pay high auction prices. But I do buy off auctions a lot because the deals are just to good.

But if I ever have to sell my stuff, my 1/55 Takatoku in there texured boxes will be the last to go. Well, of course next to last. My legioss I am more fond of. And if my Voltes V is being sold, I better be on my death bed, or put on your ice skates, because hell has frozen over. :blink:

And yes, I do make swooshing sounds with my 1/55s while flying them through my house, and rocking out to the theme song from Battle of the planets. B))

People's interests change for one reason or another. Most of us are in their 20'3 and early 30's and are getting married and/or having kids. I become a father 6 months ago and everything changed. My wife stopped working and money is pretty tight. Although my case is special because I had triplets.

There is also a lot of duplication from Yamato and others. The market become flooded and Macross toys don'tt seem so special anymore. I still love them but I wouldn't prefer to see more variety.

With the exception of the Toynami DYRL Poseables, the last serious VF-1 toy I got was the Yamato 1/48th Hilaru type Super VF-1J almost 11 months ago. You can only buy the same basic thing over and over again before it becomes tiring. I plan on finishing my Alpha collection, buying some of Yamato's future non-VF-1 Macross stuff and non-Macross stuff (ie. Votoms), and buying any Zeta toys that Bandai ever does release here in the US (yeah right), but the Macross and Gundam spending spree I've been on for the last four years is winding down for me. There are more important and pressing things for me to spend my money and time on these days.

But that said, I am glad I had the opportunity to build the collection that I did during these last fews years and the friends and aquaintances I have made online, too. I just hope that any future girlfriends or the woman who might one day be my wife will be accepting of my little "army"! B))

My interested isnt waning but it is getting impatient. :lol: But of course I never able to get macross items like these. Basically I am sticking with one scale. Gee, aint that hard to figure out. :rolleyes: Anyways, I dont have many things from macross so this is just awesome but I have to admint, I did got a little overboard especially the low vis. :unsure:

As for my status? Single with no GF. Explains alot now doesnt it? :lol: I am 30 and at this point, I am not going to find "the one". I figure I will enjoy life now. Sure I have a house and some payments on the TV but my debt aint that bad. I gotta becareful I say that... mom and dad will get pissed at me. They want grandchildren. Oh well, that what I get for being born as the oldest in the Chinese family. :rolleyes:

It's interesting to hear everyones' unique story on the topic in question. Growing up from my childhood, I had a few old school toys of "Transformers." However, I never had any Macross toys of the 1/55 scale. "Macross" and "Transformers" are my favorite cartoon and their toys. Because I never owned a Macross toys, I don't think I can ever let them go. To me, my Macross toys are my love and joy (sort of speak) and its a part of my childhood too. Like someone mentioned before, this is our generation where we grew up with. So I don't feel the previous or the new generation will ever understand how much these toys mean to us (eventhough its just a toy). For example, my Mother seem to be dismay with my Macross and Transformers collection. And no matter how much I tried to explain to her, she doesn't seem to grasp. I mean, I don't expect anyone to agree with my hobby, but just to understand that it has a degree of value to me right.

As for my Macross collection, it all started back when I was in High School. I was a Senior and the year was 1995. And when I first saw the VF-1S Valkyrie 1/55 by Takatoku, it just melt my heart. I was litterally in love or infatuated. At that time, the sticker price was $300- It was alot of money for a vintage Macross toy, but I saved up and bought it anyway. From that point on, i've been collecting nothing but Macross 1/55 and Transformers.

Here's what I got as of today:

Macross-

1.) VF-1S Strike Valkyrie 1/55 by Bandai X 5 (MIB Unused).

2.) Transformers Reissues No. 0-16 (Japanese book-style cover).

So to address the question whether I can depart with my child toy collection: that's a NO. I worked to hard to get where i'm today and to let them go would be a mess. While i'm saving for a home, I plan to display my collection like in a museum.

I love my stuff. I want more NEW macross stuff. And I love to show people too. I don't worrie about what they will say eather. I'm 6' 4" and 234lb. They aint saying jack. ;)

well as for me.. ill just keep one of each 48s and maybe a custom of one or two....

makes me happy.... :D

i really luv new toys coz i think its much more cooler than the old school ones... ..binaltech or 48s..... worth displaying..... and i dun have much money to spend on collections.. i still need to eat...... <_<

I guess it was part of the shoping Frenzy, Yamato was coming out with new and nice designs for the Variable Fighters so when some one got the VF-1A it had to get the one with Max paint, then the VF-1S, the strike pack, the VF-1J, the M&M VF-1J, the VF-1D, the Ostrich, the VE-1, then two of each then GBP for all of the Valks, then has to get Macross Plus VFs get the 1/48, we were being bombarded with new toys almost continualy for the last 3 years, was it like that? Now the rate has slow down. The next toys that coming out is the variable monster and the VF-0S and I don't know how much people actually want them, I would like to get a monster but it is right now out of my budget, I am getting the VF-0S but it scare be I will end up losing pieces of it.

i've been trying to keep up with the jones's so to speak but i haven't(well sort of) let it get out of hand.

i mostly collect the 1/60 line since most everything in the line is relatively cheap, and also the most complete out of the other toy lines/scales.

i love my 1/48's but they take up way too much space and lets not forget about the boxes. i'll probably get rid of a few just because. i have a couple of 1/55's for nostalgia sake but it wouldn't kill me to let them go and i got rid of all of my vintage stuff cause it wasn't worth trying to complete the collection...it never friggin ends.

i don't think i'll ever sell everything, but i definitely need to slow my roll on future toy purchases, its getting out of hand and my spare bedroom is looking like a toy store now.

As our lives were engulfed in the "Macross Frenzy" over the last 4 years, it seemed as though we could be late on a car payment or a bill just to get the new Low Vis, or the 1/60 Super O. I was one of the people that thankfully for a great job with Mercedes Benz, was able to buy any and all the toys.

You have to admit that 4 years is a long time and most of us have changed as well as our lifestyles. I for one am now single (unmarried) and my girlfriend actually likes this stuff. When it was all new, I was buying everything. As the releases slow down for Macross, my buying may slow down, but my loyalties to it and my love haven't. My advice to you all who are considering ridding yourself of your collection, keep it if at all possible. Once you sell them, you'll probably say to yourself, " I can buy them again if I want", but all the energy you put into getting them the first time around won't be there. All you'll have left is the memory, which is fine, but better to still have it there to pull out every once in awhile and play.

Geez, I'm gonna be 30 in two months, and I'm keeping it all, except for the stuff I have doubles of. That was just crazy of me to do, but keep it guys.

The only thing I'll keep buying is the Bandai reissues for customs. That I cannot do without still. Customs will always be nice and fresh and always keep the old toys in perspective.

The good thing about HG doing a new Robotech series is that it may spawn more from SK and can maybe keep the idea of transforming mecha fresh. In anycase, it has been great to meet and hang with some of you through the MW cons, p.m.'s, trades and sales. I hope to do many more and hope that all of you will want to stick around as well. :D

I'm not selling any of my stuff if I can help it. I've still got all my toys from when I was a kid, from the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toys, to The Real Ghostbusters (not the one with the gorilla). :lol:

I'm not gonna get rid of my Macross toys! :p

As much as I love my valks - I'll sell them if I need the money for something more important.

I bought them in a time when I had more cash laying about and they hold their value relatively well. Unfortunately for them, that makes them luxury items that are expendable when Daddy needs to buy a new hot water heater.

Luckily, I haven't had to walk that road yet, but the economy definitely sucks enough to imagine it being possible. I've done it with guitars and though I regret losing them - I've never felt too bad about the decision itself.

Real life = most important

Hobbies = not that important, ultimately

I heard that, Blaine, that's why I wrote if at all possible, cause sometimes it's just not possible. It's just nice to have the toy collection I dreamt of when I was a little kid. If I could go back in time with what I have now as far as toys, I'd be one of the coolest kids in the county. :D

I have tired to be selective with Macross so that the collection doesn't get too big. I basically limited myself to 1 each of the Yamato transformable mecha, but even then the collection got out of hand by the time the 1/48s came out.

Recently, I've been selling off small portions of my collection since my wife and I are trying to have a baby. My goal is to have my whole collection fit into 1-2 cabinets that I can lock.

My Macross collection currently stands at 6 1/72s, 7 1/60s & 5 1/48s (shameless plug to check out the collection link in my .sig). I've preordered the VB and will probably pick up the VF-0 now that I've watched M0.

a few reasons for my waning interest:

1.As another poster has said, the market is quite flooded and most macross toys are not that hard to find/special anymore

2.I mainly got into toys because I was too lazy to take up modeling again. But now I'm back into it and i find it alot fulfilling than collecting toys.

Well for me...ive always loved Macross (Robotech) ever since i saw it the first time when i was 11. I can even remember when they first showed "Code Name Robotech" on danish TV.

To be honest, i was blown away by the animation, the Valks, the story and the charecters. So each time me and my dad would go to the local videostore to rent movies, i would always pick up a Macross VHS. I enjoyed the universe of Macross.

After each tape they would show a commercial on the varios Robotech toys you could buy. I remember always asking the clerk at the store if they had Robotech toys, and the answer was always no, they didnt have it. I always did wonder why the valks in the commercials didnt transform.

So when Transformers came out with Jetfire, damm...that was my "Veritech" for many years. I had many adventures with that little thing, replayed the fight against Bretai a million times. And as all little kids, you eventually break this and that on it. And times goes on and once intrest goes onward.

I have many fun memories with Macross, with my Dad and Mom. I always wondered along side with my cousin why they didnt do a continuation of Robotech, little did i know back then.

When i found MacrossWorld all of my answers ...where answered. I realised that Macross went on all this time. I was considering to buy Toynami´s MPC´s but..when the 1/48 came out...well it wasnt a hard choice. And ive been a 1/48 ever since i goy my first ones from Valkyrie Exchange.

Collecting Macross is a thing i enjoy doing. Watching the anime and collecting two of each, one for display and one for MINT. I guess it is my way of "catching" up to all those times in the past i really wished for a Valkyrie, but never had any. I work hard for my money and i get my bills paid. So i dont see anything wrong using my freetime on my what i enjoy, which is simple....JeetKuneDo & Filipino Martial Arts and Macross :)

I dont collect to have alot. I collect cause i like them..and i wanna have all the different 1/48s. I think they are work of art, and a beautiful piece of art it is to me. In my humble opinion...the 1/48 is the best Valk made so far. I love it. :p

As somone said in here..."Its a wonderful time to be a Macross fan"

I donno if anyone feels like i do, but this is why i collect them.

-Jin

I think my Macross holism isnt that bad. I only have one 1/48 and one 1/60. I have all the Joke Machines I want. Dont really need every MIB although I have two out of 5.

I have some Bandai Reissues but no doubles. I have my Holy Grail which will never leave my grasp (Mint GBP-1S Taka gift set minus arm armour)

uh I do buy a lot of other crap though. Liek various Starwars or transformers. and little japanese knick knacks that are too cool. Liek MAcross Gashopans. But I only have one set. Luckily im young enough that I havent settled down. So when i find a decent job with decent pay I will find a place to accomodate my stuff. Rather than accomodate my stuff for my place.

XStoys your my idol haha

Edited by Solscud007

I was just thinking about that this morning while sitting in traffic. It seems like I see alot less posting from some of the more outspoken members. It seems like there was a little Macross fad going on for the last two or three years and now it's starting to dwindle down. Of course, alot did occur to spark the boom of Macross fandom in the first place. Now that all the companys have run the gambit of toys things seem to be slowing down.

valkaholism... meh...

if that's the case.... I'm like Nick Cage in Leaving Las Vegas, let the consumer be the one consumed by his addiction...

:p:rolleyes::lol:

I was just thinking about that this morning while sitting in traffic. It seems like I see alot less posting from some of the more outspoken members. It seems like there was a little Macross fad going on for the last two or three years and now it's starting to dwindle down. Of course, alot did occur to spark the boom of Macross fandom in the first place. Now that all the companys have run the gambit of toys things seem to be slowing down.

I don't think people that really like Macross are not as interested, it's just that everything that needs to be said has been.... from this point were just reiterating ourselves...

Edited by >EXO<

my spare bedroom is looking like a toy store now.

Actually i intend to use a room exclusively for my anime madness, when i can buy my own flat. I kept all boxes nicely (esp MGs) so that in future i can display them on shelves in the room, together with cabinets full of mechas. A room i can walk in to relax and dream... :D