The Official Yamato VB-6 Monster Thread

Anyone else notice that the arms have little pods that pop up along the edges?  I'm afraid to pull on them for fear of them snapping off.  Here's a description of the location:

In shuttle mode, near the back.  Along the edge of the arm is what looks like a separate glued in molding.  But it's not glued in and if you pull it up (the hing appears to be towards the back, so you pull up on the front) you get what kind of looks like the classic Macross missile-pod.  It doesn't appear to stay up, but again I'm nervous about pulling up too far and breaking the hinge.  You can even see a screw inside when you pull it up.

What is it?  Graham?

According to the Compendium, they are auxillary missile launchers, that allow the missiles stored in the arm to be launched when in Shuttle mode.

Graham

Does it have a locked-open position on the toy? I'm too afraid to pull on it.

okay, so no pics as of yet as i got my first day off work in about 10 weeks....sorry but i ain't going into work just to grab my digicam.

i tinkered some more and opened the other arm last night to "fix" that one as well and oddly enough, the other side wasn't glued down as much. honestly i think yamato wanted to make this feature then realized that their "math" was all wrong so they scrapped the idea and glued the thing shut. <_<

i did get both of the launchers to open where you can clearly see the missiles without having to hold them open. the only problem i've run into is, while i got them to open and shut freely, i now have to figure out a way to make them stay open and shut. they stay closed if you push them in but they still have a tendency to flop open time to time. they stay open but have a tendency to close since the original design flaw prevents it from actually remaining open....does that make any sense?

as far as keeping them open and closed, i haven't fully figured out exactly what i gotta do? :unsure: right now, i have some small plastic pieces wedged in there to keep them fixed in the open position and our good friend gravity to keep them fixed in the closed position...whatcha want? i'm new at this.

i wish some of our better customizers would jump on board and try to make this "lost feature" a reality. i'm sure dudes like fulcy(non-removeable 1/60 heatshield...i still ooo and ahhh looking at that one) could come up with a better idea on how to get this feature to work without my ghetto non-skilled customizing techniques. :p

i defintely have to go to work tomorrow so i'll posts some pics then of the work in progress. sorry for the delay homies.

Edited by haterist

Oooooohhh... I finally figured out the launchers.... i was lookng at them all wrong. My bad Graham, sorry to sound like an Rtard lol. I was looking at the rectangular indentation as the launcher port, not the front of the missile... I was in poor light and the color difference between the launcher and the missile were'nt apparent. Haterist...when you do figure out what to do in regards to fully functionalizing the launcehrs, let us know.... one of mine wont stay open,a dn teh other one wont stayy all the way shut <_<

Anyway , I think the name of the ship in the VF-X game was the Valhalla.

'Macross Digital Mission VF-X', the first VF-X game released for the Playstation in 1997 did not feature the VB-6. The ship the main character launched from in this game was called "Valhalla III (VCV) Stealth Attack Variable Carrier Vessel"

In The 2001 Dreamcast game 'Macross M3', the carrier vessel used by Max & Millia's Dancing Skull squadron was called the "Algenicus Special Forces Cruiser".

However, to the best of my knowledge, no name has been given for the carrier vessel used by the VF-X Ravens special forces squadron in the 1999 Playstation game 'Macross VF-X2'.

Graham

Noone answered my question.... where is teh VB-6 located/ assigned to in the game?  I wanna put carrier markings on it.... adn I have tio chose from the SDF-1, the Prometheus, ARMD-1, adn Daudelus.... I put a bunch of sticekrs on it so far for shuttle mode...but ive still gotta add mdoe teh the weapond and stuff for gerwalk and batt. mode.

OK, here's the only lineart pic I have of the ship that the VF-X Ravens are based on in the game. Sorry, I've no idea what the name of this ship is. It may be written in Japanese, perhaps Renato could tell us?

Graham

Graham if you could get a bigger clearer scan of the text area in that pic, maybe we could translate the name of the ship.

Noone answered my question.... where is teh VB-6 located/ assigned to in the game?  I wanna put carrier markings on it.... adn I have tio chose from the SDF-1, the Prometheus, ARMD-1, adn Daudelus.... I put a bunch of sticekrs on it so far for shuttle mode...but ive still gotta add mdoe teh the weapond and stuff for gerwalk and batt. mode.

OK, here's the only lineart pic I have of the ship that the VF-X Ravens are based on in the game. Sorry, I've no idea what the name of this ship is. It may be written in Japanese, perhaps Renato could tell us?

Graham

Graham if you could get a bigger clearer scan of the text area in that pic, maybe we could translate the name of the ship.

I agree. It looks like it's written there, but I can't make it out.

We just need a close up of the text, if that is possible.

Well, we could call it the CV-565 for now. :)

EDIT -- Thanks, Graham, for the scans, by the way!

Edited by Renato

I agree. It looks like it's written there, but I can't make it out.

Well, we could call it the CV-565 for now. :)

Ok, here's a larger scan of the text.

Graham

Cool !

Thanks for the pictures. What I am really contemplating of doing is revesing the orientations of the tabs that are used to retain the legs in bomber mode. I think that if I could acheive this, the wings would sit much closer to the fuselage and cover some of the huge gaps that appear in bomber mode.

Has anyone tried this yet ?

Cool !

Thanks for the pictures. What I am really contemplating of doing is revesing the orientations of the tabs that are used to retain the legs in bomber mode. I think that if I could acheive this, the wings would sit much closer to the fuselage and cover some of the huge gaps that appear in bomber mode.

Has anyone tried this yet ?

actually i looked at the leg/wing design very closely and basically, its nothing more than another mathematical error on yamatos part yet again. <_<

if you look where the legs/wings are connected to the fuselage(crotch area), you can see the hinges were originally designed to sit flush when in shuttle mode. but the hinges don't close up correctly, they stay sort of split...does that make sense? either way, this is what causing the gap in that area.

the way problem can be corrected is if the "catch piece"(the hole the clip goes into) on the back part of the lower ankle is moved up about an 1"-1.5" which would put it right smack in the middle of the mechnical joint whatchamawhosit so thats not really an option.

the other options is to move the catch piece assembly(located on the side of the big cannons)itself back 1"-1.5", which could be done but i won't be taking on that project.

so now all i can do is hope for a re-release(which is unlikely) with all the fixes. <_<

Edited by haterist

I agree.  It looks like it's written there, but I can't make it out.

Well, we could call it the CV-565 for now.  :)

Ok, here's a larger scan of the text.

Graham

Yeah, it just says "VF-XII FOR OPENING -- DOUBLE STEALTH MOTHERSHIP CV-565"

Doesn't have a name.

Edit -- The "opening" part refers to the "opening sequence".

Oh and thanks again, Graham!

Edited by Renato

Haterist:

Man that sucks, Sad part is it isn't that hard to fix, so WTF?

I mean I have some Gundam figure hinges that I was fearing

I would have to sacrifice to rectify Yamato's "Superb QC.

<_<

So Haterist, I imagine you will be 'Bashing those back into

working order, well after some paint on those missiles.

:D

Edited by Doctor Paragon

I want the one that I ordered already. :(

OK, I finally got mine, and those damn pegs that hold the legs/wings are really annoying since they don't really work. As far as slots not matching or broken or stressed parts on mine, it seems to work just fine. I really like it in shuttle mode, but those pegs for the wings. Anyone working on a fix for it yet?

OK, I finally got mine, and those damn pegs that hold the legs/wings are really annoying since they don't really work. As far as slots not matching or broken or stressed parts on mine, it seems to work just fine. I really like it in shuttle mode, but those pegs for the wings. Anyone working on a fix for it yet?

well i posted this on the other page but since nobody likes to read...

if you look where the legs/wings are connected to the fuselage(crotch area), you can see the hinges were originally designed to sit flush when in shuttle mode. but the hinges don't close up correctly, they stay sort of split...does that make sense? either way, this is what causing the gap in that area.

the way problem can be corrected is if the "catch piece"(the hole the clip goes into) on the back part of the lower ankle is moved up about an 1"-1.5" which would put it right smack in the middle of the mechnical joint whatchamawhosit so thats not really an option.

the other options is to move the catch piece assembly(located on the side of the big cannons)itself back 1"-1.5", which could be done but i won't be taking on that project.

so now all i can do is hope for a re-release(which is unlikely) with all the fixes

hi,

can someone pinpoint me to the page where someone posted a link on how to transform this sucker?....I've been searchin for it for quite a while but still couldnt locate it...to find a single post within a 40+ pages thread is just so painful.... ;)

Thanks,

aaajin

hi,

can someone pinpoint me to the page where someone posted a link on how to transform this sucker?....I've been searchin for it for quite a while but still couldnt locate it...to find a single post within a 40+ pages thread is just so painful.... ;)

Thanks,

aaajin

Here's the direct link.

It's not in this thread. It's in another thread on page 2 of the toy forums.

Graham

TQQQ very-2 much :D... but still..<_< 1 hour has passed since i started to transform this sucker...dOh! :(

EDITED : wow...looking at the watch I cant believe how much time I spent on transforming this toy...

however, there are 2 areas that I recognized have major stress effects on mine...yep i know the ones Graham n u guys have been talkin about...but here's new ones....

the first one is on one of the connection of the diecast fin on the leg...I really think that this part should've been made out of metal instead of pure ABS <_< ...and the other is the one ...hm i dunno what to call this part.. but here are the pics

just curious...has anybody else's toy suffers the same stress effects?

Pic 1

post-4-1106120093_thumb.jpg

Edited by aaajin