Science and Technology MEGA THREAD

Max Jenius

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the front of the nose for on the harrier jet? Why do some have it and others not?

Is this the make believe science technology thread? I haven't posted in a while. But seeing my valid post being deleted makes me wonder if Shawn and Graham handed out admin privileges to some douche bags. This just doesn't seem normal. Or at least the old normal from the earlier years on the forums. If that's the case. Feel free to delete this account I won't be coming back. Not even to buy or sell anything. Actually just delete the account, no point arguing with idiots. And I won't be tempted to come back. Thanks Shawn Graham for the good days on the forums. and mac news. The yamato stuff was always useful and insightful.

Is this the make believe science technology thread?

No - it's the - and I quote:

Science and Technology MEGA THREAD, New and interesting science stories here

Thread. (I highlighted, underlined and italicized the pertinent portion)

It it not the "ask questions about science/technology in an airplane" thread.

I actually don't think we have a proper aviation thread.

I'm sure if you just asked one of the mods instead of PMSing - then they'd tell you to open an "Aviation Technology" thread.

Given that there's plenty of people in the modeling forum who love modeling airplanes etc, I'm sure they'd be interested in maybe contributing, reading and discussing aviation.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

• 2 weeks later...

The American manned space program is over.

http://www.space.com/news/white-house-conf...-sn-100201.html

Space shuttle retires at the end of 2010. President Obama's proposed budget cancels the Constellation project intended to replace the shuttle as well as return to the moon(the mass media noticed the moon return, but not the space shuttle replacement part). And he has vowed to fight Congress if they restore it.

The American manned space program is over.

http://www.space.com/news/white-house-conf...-sn-100201.html

Space shuttle retires at the end of 2010. President Obama's proposed budget cancels the Constellation project intended to replace the shuttle as well as return to the moon(the mass media noticed the moon return, but not the space shuttle replacement part). And he has vowed to fight Congress if they restore it.

Imagine if you were a time traveler from say the year 1950... and you warp to the future TEH YEAR 2010! You're expecting flying cars, utopian society, and human colonies on Earth and Mars. Instead, you find that the highest form of technology is a piece of software called "Twitter" that enables you to inform your friends on what you had for breakfast. Oh, and there is a length limit too, which has the added effect of destroying the English language as people try and cram more sentences with unusual shorthand.

Yeah, fucking wonderful. Lets bail out the automakers and banks but gut NASA.

I was planning on a trip out to go see shuttle launch so my son could see it in person, now it's a definite thing.

Wish I could see one.

The worst part is that NASA's getting an additional 6 billion dollars, so it's not even about saving money.

Ghost Train: Can you imagine the look on this time traveller's face when he realizes everyone owns a wireless phone the size of A CANDY BAR... and no one talks on them because they're too busy sending telegrams?

Ghost Train: Can you imagine the look on this time traveller's face when he realizes everyone owns a wireless phone the size of A CANDY BAR... and no one talks on them because they're too busy sending telegrams?

I am a firm believer in the concept of "nothing ever typed by someone's thumb is worth reading" :p .

In other news, The Force / ESPER / Telekinesis .... sooner than you think: Link

• 2 weeks later...
Student builds a hexa-legged cognitive spider using an Intel Atom CPU. Intel's so impressed, they ordered two to be built to be showcased.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Rob...essor,9633.html

a link with a working video:

http://www.engineering.arizona.edu/news/story.php?id=114

Nice to see another wildcat doing well for themselves.

Imagine if you were a time traveler from say the year 1950... and you warp to the future TEH YEAR 2010! You're expecting flying cars, utopian society, and human colonies on Earth and Mars. Instead, you find that the highest form of technology is a piece of software called "Twitter" that enables you to inform your friends on what you had for breakfast. Oh, and there is a length limit too, which has the added effect of destroying the English language as people try and cram more sentences with unusual shorthand.

Dude, I'm not even imagining it. I actually spend time pretty much every day reminiscing of my younger, simpler, scifi-anime-inspired days when the year 2010 would have flying cars and Mars bases. Instead I wake up to a world where my homeland of Peru is still a third-world country (worse now since the Machu Picchu disaster must've crippled the tourism industry), global warming is "all the rage" and yet they want us to buy stupid digital TVs before they phase out analogues, and now the manned space program is over.

I'm glad I have a roof over my head, a job and a family, but seriously, this planet and the people in charge of it are shooting down my dreams one by one. And what's left when you've killed your sparkly-eyed inner child?

sigh....

What is the front of the nose for on the harrier jet? Why do some have it and others not?

Is this the make believe science technology thread? I haven't posted in a while. But seeing my valid post being deleted makes me wonder if Shawn and Graham handed out admin privileges to some douche bags. This just doesn't seem normal. Or at least the old normal from the earlier years on the forums. If that's the case. Feel free to delete this account I won't be coming back. Not even to buy or sell anything. Actually just delete the account, no point arguing with idiots. And I won't be tempted to come back. Thanks Shawn Graham for the good days on the forums. and mac news. The yamato stuff was always useful and insightful.

Bye-eeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Taksraven

www.spacedaily.com/reports/Armor_could_form_force_field_999.html

I found a articles on Spacedaily.com about scientist in England who are developing Magnetically reinforced armor for vehicles. I don't know if that counts as Energy Converting Armor.

Visit My Website Sorry if my link does not work.

Thanks

Edited by miles316

www.spacedaily.com/reports/Armor_could_form_force_field_999.html

I found a articles on Spacedaily.com about scientist in England who are developing Magnetically reinforced armor for vehicles. I don't know if that counts as Energy Converting Armor.

Visit My Website Sorry if my link does not work.

Thanks

Something inside me saying that wouldnt be a good idea unless the projectile is like the same polarity else it would just attract it and basicly add more energy into the projectile to dump back into you.

Something inside me saying that wouldnt be a good idea unless the projectile is like the same polarity else it would just attract it and basicly add more energy into the projectile to dump back into you.

LOL that would be kind of funny. It could be tactically useful to draw fire though :p .

The article was a bit vague, but I think it has more to do with deforming the projectile with electricity rather than make it bounce off. Far from a force-field like defensive device. In my opinion, the "Trophy" anti-projectile system developed for the Israeli army is probably more implementable with today's technologies.

It's just tit for tat really, with sufficient kinetic energy, any armor can be defeated.... enter the railgun.