Science and Technology MEGA THREAD

Max Jenius

High Energy Laser systems have the potential to address the following identified Army capability gaps: 1) Defeat In-Flight Projectiles such as rockets, artillery, mortars, anti-tank guided missiles, rocket propelled grenades, and man-portable surface-to-air missiles; 2) Ultra-Precision Strike with little to no collateral damage; 3) Disruption of Electro-Optical (EO) and Infra-Red (IR) sensors; and 4) Neutralizing mines and other ordnance (especially improvised explosive devices (IEDs)) from a stand-off distance. HELs are expected to complement conventional offensive and defensive weapons at a lower cost-per-shot than current systems.

Too bad they didn't include the HEL capability to 'vaporize' a target. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
A team of scientists will use a World War II-era plane to explore one of the last uncharted regions of Earth, in hopes of learning more about climate change.

Now...why oh why does this sound disturbingly familiar...? Oh yeah!

Greaaat....so now I have to worry about Shoggoth protection?

Maybe this article is part of a new viral marketing campaign for this

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One weapon from Macross that is pretty much here is the micro missile. Small compact missile that can be fired in bunches new weapons systems like the non line of sight missile weapon system. The army can put bunches of missiles in the field and can use then to defend bases and ambush people. They can put like a hundred and twenty on a flatbed truck and leave them in position for months ready any time. Their is the British star streak missile which is a man pad like the stinger but can be used in duel role as a anti-ground vehicle weapon it is the coolest one it actually has three smaller sub missiles that split from the booster and hit the target. The javelin man portable weapon system which decimating Iraqi tank columns in the second golf war. The hellfire missile used on attack helicopters the longbow version is a RADAR guided. I have even read of the military adapting two inch rockets fitting them with laser sensors and control surfaces turning them in to precision weapons for the unmanned fire scout helicopter drone.

Edited by miles316

• 2 weeks later...
Military warns of Terminator-style robot revolts:

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/ne...icle5741334.ece

Its funny that all the robot-goes-rampage thing always started with a robot/A.I./Super Computer becoming sentient and in order to protect itself, practically wipes out humanity. This has been depicted in Matrix (with B1666ER), Terminator (SkyNet), SAAB (Silicate wars), and other.

So to avoid having a robot triggered Armageddon, just do the simple thing, put a limit on robot A.I.

• 2 weeks later...

That movement was kinda freakily realistic

Ok maybe walking still needs abit of work

One step closer to humanoid dutch wives. :D

Edited by wolfx

Its funny that all the robot-goes-rampage thing always started with a robot/A.I./Super Computer becoming sentient and in order to protect itself, practically wipes out humanity. This has been depicted in Matrix (with B1666ER), Terminator (SkyNet), SAAB (Silicate wars), and other.

So to avoid having a robot triggered Armageddon, just do the simple thing, put a limit on robot A.I.

Or program them to fear us when we get pissed.

Another research tech nod towards mecha-grade actuators and myo-mimetic drivers.

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/03/19/cr...ficial-muscles/

All we need are the super-caps and or fuel cells that can provide sustained power.

I guess my old age really will be populated with landmates, I-robots and boomers/labours. As long as they're makin my grey years more comfortable, instead of shovelling me into a SkyNet Internment Camp furnace.

I guess my old age really will be populated with landmates, I-robots and boomers/labours. As long as they're makin my grey years more comfortable, instead of shovelling me into a SkyNet Internment Camp furnace.

Somehow being plugged into a socket to drain human bioelectricity while your mind is wandering in the Matrix offer a better pension plan.....

Curious if these guys will be able to help out Nasa with the possible lack of manned launch vehicles for the Space station when the Shuttle retires. Pretty impressive progress for a private firm.

Space X

• 2 weeks later...