Science and Technology MEGA THREAD

Max Jenius

Excellent idea max. Especially that I work on a kid's tv show so I can farm all of you for story ideas.. just like the machines farm the humans for power in the Matrix.. meheheheh...

Here's my first contribution to the mega-thead. Thanks, Max!

Coating Promises Scratch-Proof CDs, DVDs, LCDs

Finally. DVD's scratch pretty easily.

Edited by Anubis

Not sure if this qualifies, but have you guys watched Mythbusters on TLC? kinda cool. They showed a slowmotion shot of a water balloon sitting on a table being popped by an X-acto knife. the rubber blew apart in a fraction of a second. Leaving the ball of water hanging on the table for a second before falling. it was cool looking

Wall-climbing autonomous vehicle wins robotics competition at international conference

Use air circulation to create suction to walk on the walls and ceiling.

What is so great about that? They ahve toys that can do that. And then there is the rescue system In think called Gecko. It is a one man scaling device. Runs off a device like a scuba tank. You ahve these large shield sized paddles. that have suction cups on them. It can cling to smooth concrete. good for scaling skyscrapers.

What is so great about that? They ahve toys that can do that. And then there is the rescue system In think called Gecko. It is a one man scaling device. Runs off a device like a scuba tank. You ahve these large shield sized paddles. that have suction cups on them. It can cling to smooth concrete. good for scaling skyscrapers.

I remember reading about that.

What was novel about the robot I posted was that the suction itself is done without making contact to the surface, that way the legs can move as easily as on the ground

Yeah sort of. I read in a newspaper about some find on a remote island in the south pacific. They found remains of a three foot race of people. Who had mastered tool making and fire. Something about inbreeding can create small offspring or large ones. Same island had LARGE komodo dragons. Supposedly the reamins were so recent that havent fossilized yet. So its like newer than neanderthal, I think.

Yeah sort of. I read in a newspaper about some find on a remote island in the south pacific. They found remains of a three foot race of people. Who had mastered tool making and fire. Something about inbreeding can create small offspring or large ones. Same island had LARGE komodo dragons. Supposedly the reamins were so recent that havent fossilized yet. So its like newer than neanderthal, I think.

Yup. In fact, they may have only died out as recently as 12,000 years ago, which is pretty darn recent for any human relatives. But they were also a strange mix of features, some of which were fairly primitive. I'll be curious to see how scientists fit them into the evolutionary tree.

Yup. In fact, they may have only died out as recently as 12,000 years ago, which is pretty darn recent for any human relatives. But they were also a strange mix of features, some of which were fairly primitive. I'll be curious to see how scientists fit them into the evolutionary tree.

they put them under a bonzai tree.

think they would live out longer, large animals tend to die out much easily than the smaller cousins.

Let the age of laser weapons begin!

The laser meant for the modified-747 airborne laser just had it's first successful firing.

link

Edited by Anubis

I think the hobbit thing has been shown that they were just small people and not some new hominid.

Here's a shape shifting robot that can roll, walk, or slither depending on how it's modules link up. Wicked.