OT: Largest Grizzly Bear Ever

Solscud007

The following (first two) pictures are of a guy who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska and his trophy bear. He was out deer hunting last week when a large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away.

The guy unloaded his 7mm Mag Semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head.

The bear was just over 1,600 pounds. It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world. Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport (to remind tourist's of the risks involved when in the wild).

Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours. His last meal (3rd picture) was the unlucky nature buff. I guess the bear didn't have a taste for genitals

The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol was the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found.

Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (they ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body) it only wounded the bear - and probably angered it. The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker.

Think about this - If you are an average size man; You would be level with the bear's belly button when he stood upright, the bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours!

To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look in the bedroom windows.

post-26-1098931684_thumb.jpg

Not to sound like the softy here, but Sol shouldn't you remove the pic of the dead guy (assuming it's not a hoke). Some might feel offended by it, and I find it somewhat inappropriate considering that is a real person. I'm sure he was missed and loved by others. Just my 0.02 :(

BTW aren't Kodiak's typically larger than Grizzlies?

Apparently this story been circulating for a couple of years now.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-grizzlybear5.htm

Not really a hoax, but definitely a tale that's grown taller in the telling. That's still one helluva bear, though. Do YOU have a .338 Win Mag? I know I sure as heck don't. :o

Edited by bsu legato

Anyone remember Prophecy. The movie with the giant mercury-mutated bear and mutated cub? For some reason that iimmediately sprung to mind looking at these pics.

Bears are something I know a little bit about. 1,600 lbs is not that unusual for Alaskan or Russian brown bears. The thing I find hard to swallow is that it was eating people he must of been hella hungry. Brown bears will usually ignore people unless they threaten them. It's the little 350 lb black bears that'll eat your ass up.

The bear in that pic isn't any bigger than this one killed by the Alaskan Game management unit.

post-26-1098941545_thumb.jpg

Opus, you are correct sir. Nanook(Polar Bears) is bigger still. :D Sometimes polar bears will just eat people in the northern parts of Alaska. But yeah... we Alaskans have our bear encounters every now and again... its part of the deal when you live up here.

And yes... black bears are little, mean tree-climbers! Grizzlies usually aren't interested in eating you up here... so they say to play dead. A Black Bear will kill you, eat you, and climb up a tree to do so if its mad/hungry enough. The solution? Well I do recall a story about a man that was being chased... as the bear came up the tree he whipped it out and started pissing on it's face. ... the bear left and according to the guy... looked a little embarassed lol.

Speaking of the Anchorage International Airport... they just did a huge renovation and its actually starting to look like a normal, Lower 48(our term for the contiguous U.S.) airport.

Speaking of the Anchorage International Airport... they just did a huge renovation and its actually starting to look like a normal, Lower 48(our term for the contiguous U.S.) airport.

aww i liked the look of it before. the stuffed animals looked great and the lady who worked in the bar wasn't bas either ;)

Anyone remember Prophecy.  The movie with the giant mercury-mutated bear and mutated cub?

I think you're mistaken Anubis. Prophecy had Christopher Walken as Gabriel and Viggo Mortensen as Lucifer. It was about the war with Heaven. Gabriel led another 3rd of the Heavenly Host in a war against the Holy Host because he (and the rebels) felt that Man was not worthy of their adoration. Of course, this time the Heavenly Host didn't have the power to cast the offending Elohim (Angels) into the Abyss.

Prophecy II was about the birth of a new Nephilim. Had cutie Brittany Murphy as one messed up chick who talks her boyfriend into a lover's suicide only to be saved from death (much to her chagrin) by Christopher Walken/Gabriel.

Prophecy III follows Gabriel (who has become human) as he is drawn back into the war he started.

I don't remember a mutated bear...but then again Im most familiar with Prophecy II. ;)

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Opus, you are correct sir. Nanook(Polar Bears) is bigger still. :D Sometimes polar bears will just eat people in the northern parts of Alaska. But yeah... we Alaskans have our bear encounters every now and again... its part of the deal when you live up here.

And yes... black bears are little, mean tree-climbers! Grizzlies usually aren't interested in eating you up here... so they say to play dead. A Black Bear will kill you, eat you, and climb up a tree to do so if its mad/hungry enough. The solution? Well I do recall a story about a man that was being chased... as the bear came up the tree he whipped it out and started pissing on it's face. ... the bear left and according to the guy... looked a little embarassed lol.

I'd be dead... I can't pee on que... Especially with a bear coming after me. The last thing I'd think about is whipping it out and sticking it to it's face. Hopefully it was a tall tree :(

Yup, saw that same email a couple of years ago, that was a trophy bear though.

My cousin Tod has 2 Brown bears (Griz's) and a Black bear stuffed, he lived in alaska for 20 yrs, He has killed i think one of everything from squrrels to african safari animals and stuffed em

aww i liked the look of it before. the stuffed animals looked great and the lady who worked in the bar wasn't bas either ;)

Anchorage airport freaked me out man....

I was there in the summer of 91 when I came home on leave from Japan. Got there early in the morning at Elmendorf AFB, hopped a commercial flight from Anchorage to Baltimore that left at like 9 or 10 that night.

Sat at the gate in the airport for most of the day and night, it was a giant circular array of windows that overlooked (or underlooked) the mountains etc around the airport.

All this was very beautiful, except that it never got dark, and that really F'd up my sleep patterns! :huh:

I could totally relate to the Pacino flick Insomnia after that.

Anyone remember Prophecy.  The movie with the giant mercury-mutated bear and mutated cub?

I think you're mistaken Anubis. Prophecy had Christopher Walken as Gabriel and Viggo Mortensen as Lucifer. It was about the war with Heaven. Gabriel led another 3rd of the Heavenly Host in a war against the Holy Host because he (and the rebels) felt that Man was not worthy of their adoration. Of course, this time the Heavenly Host didn't have the power to cast the offending Elohim (Angels) into the Abyss.

Prophecy II was about the birth of a new Nephilim. Had cutie Brittany Murphy as one messed up chick who talks her boyfriend into a lover's suicide only to be saved from death (much to her chagrin) by Christopher Walken/Gabriel.

Prophecy III follows Gabriel (who has become human) as he is drawn back into the war he started.

I don't remember a mutated bear...but then again Im most familiar with Prophecy II. ;)

I of course know of the Prophcy movies with Christopher Walken, Viggo Mortensen and Christopher Walken had good roles in there (only saw the first one), but there was a 1979 movie about a giant mercury mutated killer Bear.

IMDB link

Side note, I agree with Exo, peeing on a bear already climbing a tree to kill me would be the last idea to cross mind.

post-26-1098988351.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Anchorage airport freaked me out man....

I was there in the summer of 91 when I came home on leave from Japan. Got there early in the morning at Elmendorf AFB, hopped a commercial flight from Anchorage to Baltimore that left at like 9 or 10 that night.

Sat at the gate in the airport for most of the day and night, it was a giant circular array of windows that overlooked (or underlooked) the mountains etc around the airport.

All this was very beautiful, except that it never got dark, and that really F'd up my sleep patterns! :huh:

I could totally relate to the Pacino flick Insomnia after that.

Heheh, you miss it in the winters...

But due to certain activities I participate in... night time is the right time. :)