New Robotech Series

GodMedia

The best example of HG acknowledging all of these rules would be in Robotech II, the Sentinels. Where none of the returning Macross characters looked even remotely the same.

That may be partially true, but a large part of the change in character design was because HG and Tatsunuko wanted to make sure no one thought The Sentinels was a Macross sequel. That's why the Japanese production team had nicknames for all the returning Macross Saga characters and Breetai's helemet was changed, so that it wasn't leaked that a Macross sequel was in production.

I feel sorry for you....actualy, no I don't. Me and everyone in Japan laughs at you and Harmony Gold.

Get over yourself. No one in Japan knows or cares about Harmony Gold.

Or Macross for that matter given how popular and successful it is of late. :lol:

The best example of HG acknowledging all of these rules would be in Robotech II, the Sentinels. Where none of the returning Macross characters looked even remotely the same.

That may be partially true, but a large part of the change in character design was because HG and Tatsunuko wanted to make sure no one thought The Sentinels was a Macross sequel. That's why the Japanese production team had nicknames for all the returning Macross Saga characters and Breetai's helemet was changed, so that it wasn't leaked that a Macross sequel was in production.

I feel sorry for you....actualy, no I don't. Me and everyone in Japan laughs at you and Harmony Gold.

Get over yourself. No one in Japan knows or cares about Harmony Gold.

Or Macross for that matter given how popular and successful it is of late. :lol:

I just thought it was funny that he was barking at Knight26 earlier, because in reality, HG is considering marketing this monstrosity in Japan as a sequel to Mospeada. Seeing as how both Macross and Mospeada are soaring with popularity over in Japan, virtually ready to knock Gundam off it's mighty high-horse (can you tell this is sarcasm?), I'm sure that a sequel produced by HG will do well.

I'm sure that a sequel produced by HG will do well.

::sighs::

You don't get it.

Sigh? Oh, don't lose any sleep over me. I'll wake up one day and realize that I was wrong to doubt you, and say "hey, Robotech is pretty cool actually, why didn't I realize it earlier?"

In fact, I think I will sign your petition.

Haha, just joking...just like your signature, right? You don't really like Robotech do you?

You don't really like Robotech do you?

Only way I'll ever see a sequel to Southern Cross is through Robotech.....

:unsure:

defending Harmony Gold for a sequel of some sort for Southern Cross is like selling your soul to the devil... :ph34r:

defending Harmony Gold for a sequel of some sort for Southern Cross is like selling your soul to the devil...

I wouldn't expect you to understand a godd*mned thing about it.

:unsure: Yeah you are right...

I just noticed the name you use...

Ya know...

I actually talk to the people at HG.....

Well, I talk to people at Boeing on their weapons-delivery software line, but that doesn't mean everything I hear there is going to come true. All I was trying to point out is that given HG's rep, this probably won't see the light of day in Japan.

I'll say it again in plain english:

I *know* they INTEND to market it in Japan as a Mosepeada sequel, I just don't think that it will happen.

Edited by Skull Leader

You know, when arguments break down to the base levels of "well f**k you too then" it pretty much puts off everyone from the opinions of those on both sides of an issue. I think the personal attacks need to get 86'ed in benefit of more info to support the opinions from both camps. It is my personal opinon that when your opponent slips into the "well f**k you too" line of rhetoric it means he is feeling the heat from your line of debate and has slipped into despirate childlike retorts rather than a collected argument... cussing and name calling is a sign of mental "wheel slippage" to me so don't give the other guy the satisfaction and debate like men rather than getting psyched out and reverting to name calling. Stand your ground, assert your opinions (with facts if necessary) and match the other side topic for topic and people will respect your views and perhaps come over the fence to see things your way... but drop into the base levels of cussout tactics and you loose a good deal of people's interest. Well, except for those kind of people that love looking at traffic accidents.

Edit: Note, everyone agrees that HG has the copyright of SDF Macross in the states. HG's rights with respect to any other part of the Macross franchise are still a matter of controversy.

I thought copyright was up for debate, but distribution right wasn't.

The answer to this is too involved--I will post in the license debate forum.'

Edit: I'm still going to write something over there, but Keith is right.

Edited by ewilen

Are you for real?

Ya know...

1stBRD,

Mospedea isn't popular in Japan... Nobody is going to care. I hope HG isn't banking on this.

Besides if they make this similar to any other show that created for the US (kiddie), there is no way it will be popular in Japan.

You know, when arguments break down to the base levels of "well f**k you too then" it pretty much puts off everyone from the opinions of those on both sides of an issue. I think the personal attacks need to get 86'ed in benefit of more info to support the opinions from both camps. It is my personal opinon that when your opponent slips into the "well f**k you too" line of rhetoric it means he is feeling the heat from your line of debate and has slipped into despirate childlike retorts rather than a collected argument... cussing and name calling is a sign of mental "wheel slippage" to me so don't give the other guy the satisfaction and debate like men rather than getting psyched out and reverting to name calling. Stand your ground, assert your opinions (with facts if necessary) and match the other side topic for topic and people will respect your views and perhaps come over the fence to see things your way... but drop into the base levels of cussout tactics and you loose a good deal of people's interest. Well, except for those kind of people that love looking at traffic accidents.

I noticed the anger on several occasions, and it wasn't only directed at me, but several other members. This led me to beleive that I was probably debating with a chilld, or maybe someone not in total control of his/her emotions. He's really angry.

And the comment about a sequel to Southern Cross? 1st border devil, you're just kidding about that as well right? You don't actually like Southern Cross AND Robotech do you?

Edited by peter

that makes me think, if mospeada ain't that popular then we can surely assume southern cross is not even close to being that popularity. We all know it did worse out of the 3 in japan. I doubt HG would make a southern cross sequel and market it to japan along witrh the mospeada sequel

Ya you can assume that. I wouldn't even use the word "popularity" with those 2 shows. Beyond dead is more appropriate.

HG adding characters or ships from Southern Cross in the new show is a recipe for disaster. Must be those "hardcore" SC fans in the ear of HG...hmmm

Using anything from the Sentinels is a bad idea too

If they didn't want people to think it was a Macross sequel, then they wouldn't have included various scenes of stock footage (stock footage not being against terms of copyright, & directly falling under their distribution). They didn't include any original designs in the new animation because they weren't allowed to.

Are you for real?

Ya know...

1stBRD,

Mospedea isn't popular in Japan... Nobody is going to care. I hope HG isn't banking on this.

Besides if they make this similar to any other show that created for the US (kiddie), there is no way it will be popular in Japan.

Amen to that statement!

Are you for real?

Ya know...

1stBRD,

Amen to that statement!

Right cause you know... never in the history of the world as an animerican cartoon sold in Japan... Or a Japanese made cartoon aimed more at americans... never... nope not ever never. (I can think of quite a few examples of ones that have however).

Are you for real?

Ya know...

1stBRD,

Amen to that statement!

Right cause you know... never in the history of the world as an animerican cartoon sold in Japan... Or a Japanese made cartoon aimed more at americans... never... nope not ever never. (I can think of quite a few examples of ones that have however).

American child's entertainment is totally different than the Japanese Anime culture.

American child's entertainment is totally different than the Japanese Anime culture.

well no argument there... they are verry different...

but some american cartoons have done well in Japan... the original G1 Transformers for example... was american produced but more popular in Japan then over here... in fact it carried on with Headmasters and then Masterforce and then Victory long after the series ended here.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... did fairly well in Japan again so much that the Japanese animated their own sequals... anyone seen those TMNT anime?

Power Puff Girls... again did well in Japan

Simpsons did well in Japan

Disney always does will in Japan.

Our Children entertainment has proven popular with children in Japan too.

EDIT: Am I going to say that our cartoons are as in depth as Japan's no... usually not, with a few exceptions... I'm just saying there are American cartoons that have sold in Japan.

Edited by lord_breetai

well no argument there... they are verry different...

but some american cartoons have done well in Japan... the original G1 Transformers for example... was american produced but more popular in Japan then over here... in fact it carried on with Headmasters and then Masterforce and then Victory long after the series ended here.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... did fairly well in Japan again so much that the Japanese animated their own sequals... anyone seen those TMNT anime?

Power Puff Girls... again did well in Japan

Simpsons did well in Japan

Disney always does will in Japan.

Our Children entertainment has proven popular with children in Japan too.

Good arguments!

You are right, however they were all produced by companies that had a history of success in producing animation. HG has never done this. I mean they didn't even animate RT and they have failed at every single project since.

None of that changes the fact that the fanbase for any supposed Southern Cross sequel would be very small, on both sides of the Pacific. Regardless of how much you love it, and I say this not to mock your show but simply to make a point, Southern Cross was a flop overseas and Robotech Masters is arguably the least popular segement of Robotech. Period. You can hope for all the sequels and merchandise you like. I won't stop you, but you have to understand the harsh reality that no company will likely want to tackle that property, given its miniscule following.

Heck, I'm sure that there's fans out there huddling around their Betamax tapes of Space: 1999 and wishing that Hasbro would drop GI Joe in favor of producing a "kick ass" Eagle and Martin Landau action figure. But that doesn't mean it will happen.

Edited by bsu legato

If they didn't want people to think it was a Macross sequel, then they wouldn't have included various scenes of stock footage (stock footage not being against terms of copyright, & directly falling under their distribution). They didn't include any original designs in the new animation because they weren't allowed to.

I'm talking about the Japanese deisgn team and animators leaking that there was a Macross sequel. They weren't trying to keep peopel from thinking the finished product was a Macross sequel, they were trying to not let it get out that they were working on a sequel. Use of stock footage has nothing to do with it...

lord_breetai,

What is your avatar? Is that a chick or a guy? Or a transvestite?

Well that was random... she's an actress from the Takarazuka Kagekidan. Kagekidan theater is all female Japanese musical review theater. If you've ever seen Sakura Taisen the main characters of that a part of the Teikoku Kagekidan. So she's a chick... but she's playing to role of a man on stage.

lord_breetai,

What is your avatar?  Is that a chick or a guy?  Or a transvestite?

Well that was random... she's an actress from the Takarazuka Kagekidan. Kagekidan theater is all female Japanese musical review theater. If you've ever seen Sakura Taisen the main characters of that a part of the Teikoku Kagekidan. So she's a chick... but she's playing to role of a man on stage.

Oh ok.

Well, ya never know about RT fans.

lord_breetai,

What is your avatar?  Is that a chick or a guy?  Or a transvestite?

Oh ok.

Well, ya never know about RT fans.

RT fans? Did you read my sig? Did you see in my post in here where I said "I havn't seen Robotech in years (why would I, I have Macross DVDs)"?

I don't really watch Robotech anymore but I don't hate it... and I'm willing to give the new one a try.

RT fans? Did you read my sig? Did you see in my post in here where I said "I havn't seen Robotech in years (why would I, I have Macross DVDs)"?

I don't really watch Robotech anymore but I don't hate it... and I'm willing to give the new one a try.

I can agree with that, if it's good it's good... at the same time I wouldn't get my hopes up...

It's like I told Bsu:

HG is like that father that tells his kid that he's gonna show up to the baseball games, the school plays, and the father/son games. But never shows up. At the end the son is just happy to know that there's a college fund waiting for him. But there isn't one. In fact he isn't really his dad. Just some guy screwing the mom... and very badly at that...

All characters and stories are FICTIOUS and any resemblance to any person (living or dead) or event is coincidental. There were no animals harmed during this post.

I can agree with that, if it's good it's good... at the same time I wouldn't get my hopes up...

It's like I told Bsu:

HG is like that father that tells his kid that he's gonna show up to the baseball games, the school plays, and the father/son games. But never shows up. At the end the son is just happy to know that there's a college fund waiting for him. But there isn't one. In fact he isn't really his dad. Just some guy screwing the mom... and very badly at that...

All characters and stories are FICTIOUS and any resemblance to any person (living or dead) or event is coincidental. There were no animals harmed during this post.

That's great... thats just golden.

Except the poor cat, because HG is that evil evil evil car! :ph34r:

You know what I'm talking about! :p

I read those McKinney books when I couldn't get ahold of Robotech tapes way back when. I'm so happy I have Macross on DVD, I can get the pure original story and not that crap I read when that's all I had :D .

HG has a pretty bad track record, I'm not gonna touch this new series with a ten foot pole. I'm gonna avoid it like a cat who saw what happened to the victim of the evil evil evil car!!! :ph34r:

No animals were harmed in this post, although psychological damage may have been brought back to the surface for some individuals who have watched a particular commercial (like me).