FSS progress

Phyrox

Ok, so I am going to try to get into Five Star Stories. The mecha and the convoluted plot/character developments seem to appeal to me so far.

My question is this:

The English-manga have gotten up to about #25 or so, which seems to correspond to volume 10 of the Japanese-manga. So for those who are up to date, how far along is the story? Is it near the end? Is there any real way of telling?

Ohh, and if possible I would like to avoid spoilers. I know there is a pre-set story line, but I don't want any of the finer plot points given away yet.

Thanks.

You're fond of them, but don't know where to buy them? I'm confused...how can you be fond of something you don't have/know.

Oh well, I get back issues off ebay or used book sites...I'm still not caught up, so I haven't even tried to get the latest releases yet.

Well, we all know how it ends already from volume 1, so where things are in the story line really don't matter. FSS is one of those stories that shines in the story telling itself and not in the plot progression.

Saddly, back issues are really hard to find. The Toys Press website hasn't been updated in quite some time and has no way to order directly from them. Because they're releasing them two volumes at a time, usually with the same cover, the employees at my FLCS have, on a few occasions, only held one of the two volumes for me. So, I've got holes in my collection I need to plug.

There's some site in Cali sells them still.. all the issues are still in print even the old ones, so don't worry if you still can't find them. I forgot what the site is, but if I find out I will post it. .. I do agree that FSS series will go on forever... and ever.. and ever.... they have a time line at the back of each book.. and so far they have only told.. about 400 yrs of stuff.. and still have 1000s more to go.. from what I've read so far Vol 10. (Jap version).. they are only at around 25% of the full story.. you can read the ending through the timeline discription.. (spolier).. but what you are waiting for is the detail of the story.. ..anyway.. the story is really really long as you all know it by now,. but the design is what draws me near.. anyway.. if you want to check out some of Nagano's earlier work,.. check out L-Gaim '85(similar story line but shorter, THX GOD), Brain Powered (don't waste your money), and Z-Gundam.. Yup you hear me right, he's one of the key designer for the mech in Z-Gundam. Here's my 2 cens,

L,.

Here in North America you can get them at most comic book shops through Diamond comic book distributeing ... many shops can and are willing to order them for you.

Also, as leo said, check out L-Gaim ... an anime series form 1984 that was written, with character and mecha designs, by Nagano...many of the FSS mecha are reworkings of those in L-Gaim. Not to mention the series itself is sort of a prototype for FSS.

Here in North America you can get them at most comic book shops through Diamond comic book distributeing ... many shops can and are willing to order them for you.

Also, as leo said, check out L-Gaim ... an anime series form 1984 that was written, with character and mecha designs, by Nagano...many of the FSS mecha are reworkings of those in L-Gaim. Not to mention the series itself is sort of a prototype for FSS.

I thought L-Gaim sucked. The characters are annoyingly stupid and unfortunately the entire plot hangs on them continually doing stupid things. I recommend avoiding this stinker.

You're fond of them, but don't know where to buy them? I'm confused...how can you be fond of something you don't have/know.

I saw the OAV about 10 years ago after having read the Mecha Press #6 dedicated to FSS. I also have the very first 2 volumes in japanese but I don't read this language, this is why I'd like to get english versions -or even better, french ones :)

Brewtal -> Many thx for the link, man, muchly appreciated...

Whoa, does anyone know where to get the OVA?

OVA for FFS can be found on ebay pretty often,

if not try animebox.com (I think that was it, and I believe it's base in Hong Kong)..

I hate to say the OVA of FFS is such a teaser... and yet there's only 1 OVA..

The OVA only talk about the 1st book..

If you don't want to buy it,.. search on emule or kazza.. I'm sure you can find it..

As for L-gaim.. OVA is a bit more difficult than FFS,.. I got mine through animebox.. I think.. a while ago.. but still if you want to check out L-gaim in a cheaper and better way.. check out the L-Gaim comic instead, it's much much more better than the cartoon one.. shorter, must better on detail just like FFS.. here's my 2 cens,.. and hope this help..

L,.

Mechamaniac had this to say:

According to animeondvd it got licensed by ADV at OniCon. Hopefully they don't take forever to put it out like the Nadesico movie.

It's a movie, not an OVA. IIRC, it was released as a double feature with one of the Silent Möbius movies. It's not particularly great either. In fact, Nagano hates the movie and it's surprising that he ever consented to the DVD release.

The movie is actually not bad. Smooth detailed animation for the time, with a good soundtrack. The story is almost identical to manga vol.1, only with very minor edits. I really don't see why Nagano despise it so much...

The legit Japanese release can be found at Kinokuniya bookstores or the likes, costing around US$30. So not bad at all for a Japanese DVD release. And it is actually region 0, with English subtitle. Yup, you heard me right. Guess they made it to go with the international manga release, with the sub & region 0 and all. Very pretty cover, with a cardboard sleeve over a plastic DVD case, having the Knight of Gold & Lachisus illustration with a black background, the same one you see in the Japanese manga volume 1.

Don't mistaken it as the HK bootleg though, as the HK one look similar, but don't have the fancy cardboard sleeve.

Curious, what is there to hate about the movie?

I admit there isn't much to love...but by the same token it is pretty inoffensive.

Personally, the movie just didn't do anything for me. It's rather plain and I didn't think the animation was particularly wonderful. Basically the movie added nothing to my experience with the manga.

As to why Nagano hates it, I don't really know for sure.

It's a movie, not an OVA. IIRC, it was released as a double feature with one of the Silent Möbius movies

Actually, the Five Star Stories movie and Silent Möbius movies were released at different times. Five Star Stories was released in 1989, while the very first Silent Möbius movie was released in 1991.

Actually, the Five Star Stories movie and Silent Möbius movies were released at different times. Five Star Stories was released in 1989, while the very first Silent Möbius movie was released in 1991.

Okay. I wasn't completely sure that was the correct film, hence why I prefaced my statement with the "IIRC." I'll look it up when I have the time.

Ok,

Another question for those of you further allong in your FSS reading:

I just finished English #10 (Japanese #4), and am wondering if the "Villdou" MH ever appears again or has any lineart/story associated with it.

It was the MH that accompanied the Zakker and was destroyed by the Schpeltor in that volume. I really like what little I did see of it.

Ok,

Another question for those of you further allong in your FSS reading:

I just finished English #10 (Japanese #4), and am wondering if the "Villdou" MH ever appears again or has any lineart/story associated with it.

It was the MH that accompanied the Zakker and was destroyed by the Schpeltor in that volume. I really like what little I did see of it.

Majority of MH that appear and destory will be re-build in the later story. As you should know that Junchoon will reappear, but the final version look a lot sharper.,.. also, Auge (come later, prototype of KOG) will also be rebuild later .. pretty much every MH trash get rebuild later .. hope this help,.. and as the line art,.. the best you can get is as you see them in comic..

L,.

• 2 weeks later...
Phyrox had this to say:

Another question:

Do all of the english versions have the extra few pages at the end of technical/character/historical info?

I remember reading somewhere a referrence to someone having that in his eng. #11, but I don't have any in my 11.

Did I get a bum copy?

#11 Doesn't appear to have any extras. Not every volume has this stuff.

Edited by Brewtal