Survey: Ten Worst Comic Book/Superhero Movies

areaseven

Going a little bit farther from movies I'll mention these trully POS turds that made the word "suck" raise to a new heights: Smallville, Birds of prey, Lois and Clark and the incredibly atrocious Incredible Man. On the movies topic I think nobody mentioned Super Girl, Catwoman, the Golan Globus film of Flash Gordon, Teenage Mutant ninja turtles (all of'em are crap) and the ever disgusting Street fighter and Mortal Kombat turds

• 1 month later...

There's several movies on that list that I recall liking, some of them I recall liking quite a bit. Of course, I haven't seen many of them since I was still in my teenage years.

I think any adaptation is going to be met with those fans of the original material that hate it, regardless of how good it is as a movie, since it will almost certainly be at odds with the original material.

That said, I hope nobody paid to see Son of the Mask. It looks absolutely wretched. I hate to form opinions of a movie before I've seen it, but I've not seen one thing about this movie that looks even remotely interesting, and plenty that makes me wish there was a hardbound collection of Mask comics so that I could beat those responsible for this filth to death with it.

• 3 months later...

Subconscious effort to purge them from your memory? I do it all the time when I see a really bad comic adaptation flicks (the first X-men was a nightmare I still struggle to forget).

Ditto on all the original posts, but...

Hellboy? Man, that movie kicked ass! I agree about the monsters, and the Comic is way better...but man, how can ya' diss Ron Perlman?

I'm enjoyed X-Men and X2, even though they really screwed up the chronology big time. But good "middle-o-the-night-downtown" popcorn flicks.

The Tank-Girl flick is total crap, way to serious. I mean...ugh! Bad EVERYTHING. But the comic is so perfectly f*cked, whacked, and crazy, that their really was no way in hell they could've made a good Tank-Girl movie. C'est la vie, I suppose.

Rocketeer was cool, but I saw that a million years ago. But I liked it.

Subconscious effort to purge them from your memory? I do it all the time when I see a really bad comic adaptation flicks (the first X-men was a nightmare I still struggle to forget).

I actually found out about these TV movie sequels just a couple of years ago while I was flipping through channels. Personally, I thought the first Darkman was a great movie (after all, it was directed by Sam Raimi), but the sequels were just plain boring.

And if you have a hard time trying to erase X-Men from your memory, try it with Steel. :ph34r:

Subconscious effort to purge them from your memory?  I do it all the time when I see a really bad comic adaptation flicks (the first X-men was a nightmare I still struggle to forget).

I actually found out about these TV movie sequels just a couple of years ago while I was flipping through channels. Personally, I thought the first Darkman was a great movie (after all, it was directed by Sam Raimi), but the sequels were just plain boring.

And if you have a hard time trying to erase X-Men from your memory, try it with Steel. :ph34r:

With Shaq? Oh Gawd............. Don't remind me. Character assination is one thing (Mags in X-Men 1) but trying to make a hero out of an athlete that can act in pure cheese is a whole new level of awful that needs to be wiped clean.

most comic book movies suck simply because most comics suck. Do people still read comics?

Stupid question on top of a stupid remark. Seriously, why do people think just because they're not interested in it, that it would be unpopular. That would be like if I asked if people still play video games just because I lost interest in them.

most comic book movies suck simply because most comics suck. Do people still read comics?

As a matter of fact, yes - people still read comics. Shortly after Sin City came out, I bought books 1, 3 and 4 of the graphic novel. A lot of MW members still read Batman and X-Men.

"most comic book movies suck simply because most comics suck. Do people still read comics?"

Well, depends on what you mean by comics. American comics rawk, and Manga kicks even more ass. Granted, there ARE terrible comics out there, but saying "most comics suck" is like saying all black people play basketball, or all women are ho's. It's a very mean-spirited generalization, and you're not only insulting comic READERs, but the AUTHORs.

"Do people still read comics?" Uhh...lessee, best-selling movies for the last couple years:

Spiderman

Spiderman2

X-Men

X2

Daredevil (the horror, the horror)

Elektra (see above)

Catwoman (....)

Gee, I wonder if they make these movies for comic-book fans? Or at least, to sell comics? So yes, people still read comics. Anyway, peace.

These are the movies I liked, including my own personal star rating:

Batman (1988?) 3 out of 4 stars <- Great Story! I PREFECT introduction to Batman and Joker.

Batman Returns (1992) 3 out of 4 stars <- Same as above. Great Intro for Catwoman and Peguin.

Batman Forever (1995) 2 out of 4 stars <- Not a good, but the origin story for Robin was just right, so it's good IMO.

Howard the Duck (1985) 2 out of 4 stars <- the story was funny and cute!

The Hulk (2003) 2.5 out of 4 stars <- good origin story, IMO.

Spider-Man (2002) 4 out of 4 stars <- GREAT ORIGIN STORY, PERIOD!

Spider-Man 2 (2004) 3.5 out of 4 stars <- Great intro for Doc Ock.

X-Men (1999) 2.5 out of 4 stars <- IMO, it was good introduction story into their world.

X2 (2002) <- Good story about the X-men going up again Striker. The X-Jet was HOT! :D

Judge Dredd (1995) 2 out of 4 stars <- Story wasn't good, but the action was pretty good.

The Phantom (1996) 2.5 out of 4 stars <- Solid Story, since it took place in the 1930's.

The Shadow (1994) 2.5 out of 4 stars <- 1930's story, again. GOOD!

Spawn (1997) 2.5 out of 4 stars <- Origin Story good. It could have been longer, and more detailed, IMO though, like the HBO Cartoon Series was.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) 4 out of 4 stars <- GREAT STORY! The Setting was EXCELLENT!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze (1991) 4 out of 4 stars <- Same as TMNT 1.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Turtles in Time (1993) 2.7 out of 4 stars <- this one could have been given a different story, IMO. But it was a pretty good time-travel movie none the less. :)

The rest suck IMO, they just aren't good in story.

IMO, A good Story is what makes the movie good. And the movies I have listed above are Good Stories IMO. (Except for Judge Dredd. I added it due to the Action. It counts to me...)

This is just my opinion on what I think is good, so please don't be upset if you don't like any of these movies above. ^^;

um...i never liked the new spider-man movies....punisher was ok....batman1&2 was good...the Shadow and Phantom was good also.....mortal kombat...errr...it's ok....annihilation sucked though...

i really like B and disturbing movies...like begotten and...eraserhead...dead heat...and the Italian movie i watched a few years back..which is...extremely....ah nevermind...

oh yeah...a Tekken movie will be made.... check IMDB :lol:

Blade: Trinity was great. it was possibly the crowning achievement in the series. the previous two movies only served to introduce Abigail to the world.

Dude... I'm sorry... Jessica Biel and all, but Blade 3 sucked ass. Remember that montage where they kicked ass to find out where Dracula was? And at the end of it all they found him by tracing some bank account or something... talk about laaame!!! David Goyer can maybe write a comic book story, but it's apparent that his story hinges on how good a director is. And there's no way he should be directing one on his own. I would like the see an Abigail movie though... though they should get someone else at the helm.

Blade: Trinity was great. it was possibly the crowning achievement in the series. the previous two movies only served to introduce Abigail to the world.

Dude... I'm sorry... Jessica Biel and all, but Blade 3 sucked ass. Remember that montage where they kicked ass to find out where Dracula was? And at the end of it all they found him by tracing some bank account or something... talk about laaame!!! David Goyer can maybe write a comic book story, but it's apparent that his story hinges on how good a director is. And there's no way he should be directing one on his own. I would like the see an Abigail movie though... though they should get someone else at the helm.

i completely agree. :D

Here is my list of 10 BAD movies according to your list in no particular order. Mind you, these movies I picked I have actually seen. A lot of these others seemed so "Meh!" that I didn't watch them. Here they are:

Popeye

Tank Girl

Howard the Duck

Superman III

Superman IV: The Quest For Peace

The Punisher (Dolph Lundgren's lame impersonation. I actually liked the new one.)

The Phantom

Daredevil

Supergirl

Elektra

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Barbed Wire sucked too. Until Hellboy and Sin City, Dark Horse didn't have a great track record for movie adaptations. I hope IMage can knock the Invincible movie outta the park, and start a great new franchise with it. The Spawn movie, i think, sucked.

most comic book movies suck simply because most comics suck.  Do people still read comics?

currently reading GI Joe, New Avengers, House of M, Street Fighter and Cable and Deadpool as well as a bunch of manga. Thanks.

WHY?.....your welcome.

Do people still read comics?

I don't buy comics anymore, but I do occasionally re-read some past issues. For instance, Sandman was a great read, and I enjoy that everytime I pick it up. Lucifer is another one that I was thinking about getting, but I haven't found anyone near me that sells it (probably due to the amount of bible thumpers in my neck of the woods). I stopped reading the 2nd series of X-Men around issue 42. The art work REALLY sucked and the stories became boring. I can only look at so many picutres of constipated X-Men. The only comic that I was interested in when I was collecting was Pitt. The art kicked ass, and the story was original, and it didn't go on for 3,000 issues (Superman, X-titles, etc.).

i still buy comics, for the most part i believe some of the best writing to come out in years is in that medium. Especially now since we have hollywood writers writing them, joss whedon is doing xmen, as well as making the wonder woman movie, and serenity, jeph loeb, a major writer on the smallville series, as well as a person who has worked with richard donner, writes a lot of stuff for dc comics, j. micheal strazynscy, creator of babylon five is writing spiderman, and some other directors and film, and novel writers are heading towards the comic industry, it has been doing real well. plus with the recent increase in making movies from comics why would one believe that people arent reading them anymore? open your eyes man comics are everywhere, and now more than ever they arent just for kids. most comics now cater to a more adult pallet

Edited by kanedaestes

I'd just like to reitterate that the worst comic book movie (and quite possibly the worst film ever) still has to be Batman & Robin. Never before has a film not only shown absolute contempt for anything resembling "subtlety," but it openly flaunted its flaming homosexuality. And I don't mean in a quaint "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy" way either. I'm talking about "Party Boy from Jackass bursting into your office and doing pelvic thrusts in your face while you try to compose an email to your department head" kind of gay. It was literally an assualt on all five senses, and if you believe in a sixth sense then this film can probably be blamed for stunting its development. Its the only film that I ever actually felt dirty after watching.

Has there been any further word on the Wonder woman Movie ?  She seems like a very difficult character to cast.

I heard it was gonna be Jennifer Aniston, god forbid.

Oh come on... She would be great at that.