Initial D: The Movie

areaseven

As most of you know, the Hong Kong-produced live-action adaptation of Initial D is currently in production. Directed by Andy Lau, Initial D stars Jay Chou as Takumi, Edison Chen as Ryosuke, and Anne Suzuki (Milly in Returner) as Natsuki.

Will the movie be any good? At least it'll be better than TOKYOPOP's DVD releases.

"Making of Initial D" Featurette

Here are some production pics:

movie_86zoom1.jpg

movie_byebye2.jpg

movie_86_2.jpg

movie_papa.jpg

movie_toufu1.jpg

movie_satuei.jpg

idmovielive.jpg

You know thinking about it, that 86 is in really good condition :p you know its gotta be from some crazy fanboy who managed to get his replica up there for the movie!

By the way, the movies gonna be Hong Kong, but why not Japanese? was Initial D more popular back there than it was in Japan? I know if I look online for episodes you find more dubed from Hong Kong than Japanese....its just....odd...

You know thinking about it, that 86 is in really good condition :p you know its gotta be from some crazy fanboy who managed to get his replica up there for the movie!

By the way, the movies gonna be Hong Kong, but why not Japanese? was Initial D more popular back there than it was in Japan? I know if I look online for episodes you find more dubed from Hong Kong than Japanese....its just....odd...

I think I read somewhere that they got Toyota to make them 3 brand new 86's for the movie. Dunno if that's still true tho, since I read it over a year ago.

12515_298455.jpg

Well, looks like the movie has at least one screw-up. FYI, for those who haven't read the manga or watched the anime, Takumi drives only for himself (except on Initial D: Fourth Stage, when he and Takahashi Brothers form Project D). Although his gas station co-workers are members of the Akina SpeedStars, he's not one of them.

Might be a dream sequence or piece of the ending or something :p who knows! I've noticed that in the movie trailer we just saw the Eight-Six has the black hood which only appeared in the Manga...yet here we see the stock white hood.

Might be a dream sequence or piece of the ending or something :p who knows! I've noticed that in the movie trailer we just saw the Eight-Six has the black hood which only appeared in the Manga...yet here we see the stock white hood.

Or it's Itsuke's AE85, which had an Akina logo in a similar position

Or it's Itsuke's AE85, which had an Akina logo in a similar position

The car in the picture clearly has flip up headlights, which the AE85 Levin definatly does not.

Itsuki's AE85 is a silver (or poss grey) Levin, not a white Trueno.

really? itsuki has a silver levin? I thought it was white too. Anyway what you saw in the trailer might have been a moment LATER in the film. haha are you forgetting the concept of time sequence? the Trueno in the picture has a white hood. Did it occur to youthat that shot might have been taken earlier in the film whereas the scene with the black hood is later on in the film? also i dont recall seeing a black hood. I will watch it again later

The black hooded Eight-Six appears in 4th Stage as well in their opening sequence...but than again thruought the whole Manga I believe the Eight-Six just keeps its Black hood no change....but I'm not sure, just glanced at the manga while I'm just buying the First Stage 1-5 volumes, holdin out till next pay day for 6 and 7.

Sounds like Fast and the Furious part 3.

Not anywhere close.

Yeah, this Initial D movie will likely take itself too seriously and be disapointing.

What I meant is that it's not going to be the same kind of movie the F&F movies were. Whether it's going to be good or not remains to be seen.

Personally I think it would have been smart if they hired actual drivers and not just train the actors how to drift and perform professional stunts like the real deals...actors tend to not take the same type of risks as an actual driver would.

really? itsuki has a silver levin? I thought it was white too.

well, it's been a while since I saw the anime, and I onle have black-and-white manga to go on, but i'm sure itsuki's car is a bit darker than Takumi's.

and the AE86 doesn't start the manga with the black hood, either.

it gains it in episode 5 of fourth stage, which is roughly equivalent to book 20-21 in the manga, I think.

Remember in the anime when Takumi beats Keisuke in the first race, Itsuki says that he's going to put an Akina Speedstars sticker on the 86 without telling Takumi? Maybe they decided to make that part of the movie, and that's what's shown in the pic. Oh well, we'll just have to wait until it comes out :p

Edited by Mellow Yellow

It's hilarious that people somehow compare this to the American crapfest of Fast and the Furious...

When they overlook the most obvious comparison in Legend of Speed 2.

Which definetely took itself too seriously, how I hate Ekin. At least the Evo beat up the Scoobi though.

Ok one I do remember seeing a car with akina speed stars. Im pretty sure that was itsukis car. Also int eh anime Takumi drives the 85 cause some guys were making fun of itsuki's car.

In the most recent anime 4th stage, he gets the carbon fiber hood when he battles the pro-driver with the spoon civic.

Yep yep, Itsuki did have the Akina Speed Stars on there, if I remember right, he screwed up the decal and while he was boasting Ikitani and the others were trying to fix it without him noticing.

Takumi did drive it once and was complaining about how poor the shocks were and the tires, but he did race it to scare some ameature drivers....:p sort to speak.

• 1 month later...

Well, there are no current updates on this film, but I thought I'd warn some of you about certain Initial D merchandise currently available. Here's one of them.

90014_w0_24_Ini_die_whit_none__Maz_RX-.jpg

1/24 Mazda RX-7 FC3S

Jada Toys, 2004

Made in China

Today, I bought this diecast FC3S from Target for my cousin, who doesn't watch Initial D, but owns a white 1988 FC3S convertible. While he likes it a lot, I don't. Since it's coming from the same company behind DUB City and Import Tuner! diecasts, I expected the Initial D diecasts to be half-assed. I couldn't have been more correct.

At first glance, one would think this diecast looks close to the one seen in the anime. But once out of the box, it clearly doesn't justify its $9.99 sticker price. First, there are no door handles, making one think the car is attempting the ricer "shaved" look.

Then, there's the engine detail. At this time, I can't rate it because Jada decided to chrome everything under the hood. How ghey is that? Worse is that there's more chrome on the interior, specifically on the shifter, handbrake and pedals.

Speaking of interior, this one's really bland, lacking anything on the center console (not even a cheap sticker to represent the sound system). Even bargain-bin companies like Welly and Motor Max do better jobs than this.

As for the wheels, what a disgrace. There's absolutely no steering mechanism and the tires are made of hard plastic when they should be rubber.

In short, the Initial D diecasts are a total waste of money. Even the most diehard Initial D fan should stay away from them.

Detail: D+

Features: F

Craftsmanship: D+

Value: D-

Edited by areaseven

That's to be expected, the stuff we stock at the dealership is much better and higher detailed, we only carry Nissan stuff though, and my dad, aka my boss freaks out when we get Skyline stuff cause its not AMERICANIZED Nissan product...so we're really only stuck with 350Z stuff, of which I got all of.

I really wish in my honest opinion that the movie wasn't from HK, it just doesn't feel right. But the races better be as nicely done as they were in their anime counterparts.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...