Macross DYRL?: Space War One

The_Major

Ugh, the HW1 Macross. I remember that ship...looked horrid when you 'phased' into it.

Now it looks B))

the bow-firing gun on the monitor looks spiffy, but as a fan I must ask could the lighting be thinner and brighter? I know the team is doing what it can and it looks like a good placeholder but it doesn't seem 'finished.'

I'm on a break right now but aside from the miners/refineries for the various races are there any other ships that need to be drawn up/found? I know I'll have to do a meltran reconaissance ship (counter to the bugeye) and their shuttle(counter to the Zjent automated fueling vessel) found on Lestat's concepts, but is there anything else?

I'd still like to see my Tuliqui-Sovis get in there, but that's just a fan's request B))

the bow-firing gun on the monitor looks spiffy, but as a fan I must ask could the lighting be thinner and brighter? I know the team is doing what it can and it looks like a good placeholder but it doesn't seem 'finished.'

That's why it's called a work in progress (WIP) - the point was that we're now getting the main gun effects in properly. (Actually, I'm setting about working on the more finalized version now). I also have yet to put in the actual main gun (but that will be done tonight - hopefully - as well).

Hey boxer, Um i ran your Design for the Meltrandi Resourcer by lestat, and he says that it should look less like the Recovery suit, and should have a larger storage space, other than that i cant think of anything at the moment.

[Edit]

Okay here is my last post for the night the nearly done (all i gotta do is remap the Verniers on the ARMDs) SDF-1 Macross!

post-5-1101734920_thumb.jpg

Edited by The_Major

Major, the macross is looking sweet. I'd like to see more detail on the feet next. You should be able to see from the model where I got rid of polys.

Speak to nanashi about maybe getting more scans. There's a front and back pick to be had also I believe, which should show the engines.

That hole between the neck and body looks out of place... It's not there in any of the shots I've seen.

Otherwise, I can't wait to see the transformation sequence fully played out. I also can't wait to see it in action :D.

--------

On the subject of a the SDF-1, I know this is a DYRL? Mod, but do you think it's possible eventually to save the model and re-work it with the Deadalus and Prometheus in place of the ARMDs to make the 'Correct' macross? (after all Kawamori did say that it's somewhere between the series and movie...) Just a thought.

Edited by Boxer

The macrosses are fundamentally different. They have a similar basic shape, but the entire mesh would need replacing. Even the bridge is different.

It's possible however, but as I have no love for the TV series macross, I won't be the one modelling it.

I'm not talking specificly about the 'TV Macross', I'm talking about 'Movie hull, Prometheus-Deadalus arms'

WARNING: Explaination

When people ask about which is the real space War one (movie or TV series), Kawamori I think answers 'Both' (At least that's what the board's general opinion is). That being said most of the 'Canon' mecha and character designs are from the movie. So if the movie is cannon then what about the SDF-1?

The 2012 refit happened in 2012, and I think it was just the carrier arms that were replaced. So if the hull was the same, then the 'Real' Macross would simply be the DYRL? hull with Navy Carriers instead of ARMDs for arms.

Not that I'm complaining, I like the ARMDs over the Dead-Prom, I just thought it would be interesting 'post work' when the MOD was finished.

Then again another idea in the post work was the Orguss Valk as a unit... :rolleyes:

Look forward to transformation and gunfireing anims.

MR: I think their objective is a full transformation. Although it will be interesting to see- I just hope the guns don't stop firing when the ship is undergoing it's transformation sequence.

Edited by Boxer

I go with what the recent Macorss PS2 game had, that is DYRL style Macross with Supercarrier arms. Looks pretty nifty, besides Daedalus Attack! sounds cooler than ARMD Attack!.

Who says the shells have to be explosive? SABOT rounds are just tungsten darts. Anyway, let him call it what he wants, even if it is a Typo. Nice work, guys. I wish I could use/had a 3d modeling program. I could try my hand at some designs, but they will be nowhere near as good as Boxer's.

Who says the shells have to be explosive? SABOT rounds are just tungsten darts. Anyway, let him call it what he wants, even if it is a Typo. Nice work, guys. I wish I could use/had a 3d modeling program. I could try my hand at some designs, but they will be nowhere near as good as Boxer's.

We all have to start somehere. Try downloading GMAX or Milkshape or something... (preferably the former)

Edited by Lestat

Nic3!

How easy is it to use Milkshape? And is it better than trying to get Maya (in terms of quality...)

I look to making mods of games I like to play. Actually only today I was thinking how possible it would be to make a 'Super Dimensional trio (Calvalry, Century, Fortress) mod for Dawn of War.

I'll get to work on more concepts when I can think of something. I wanna make the UNS mobile refinery less like an ARMD and more like a factory ship, and I want to try to figure out what goes where and what does what on the concept of the Melt resource platform I did. Then there's the factor of remodelling the Melt Resourcer itself...

Any more melt ships need to be drawn? Out of all the races they seem to have the least ship-wise...

Im personaly not a fan of GMax i found it really akward to use, Thats why i use Milksape 3D 7 its cheap (25 dollars) unless you're an internet Pirate, Yar! (my copy is legit) and i just found it plane easy to use and there are mounds and mounds of tutorials for it too.

P.S. anyone know any females who would like to lend their voices to the Meltrandi units?

Edited by The_Major

Anyone use/abuse Blender? I'm on a Mac and it's the only free/open source alternative that I know of. Y'see, I'm just a teensy bit jealous of all this great work and want to try my hand at it too.... :D

Sean

P.S. anyone know any females who would like to lend their voices to the Meltrandi units?

Not sure if my wife would help some. I have alot of female friends too. They're all swedish though. lol.

My question is, when we add voices, do we do it in english or zjentohlauedy? Because the latter would be just so cool.

We'd be limited of course to the vocabulary...

http://macross.anime.net/story/zentradi_di...dictionary.html

But it could be soo cool.

while i would LOVE to use the zentradi language im afraid what we have may be to limited to use it for ship dialog, how ever when playing as the zentradi would mean that you yourself are zentradi meaning you wouldnt need subtitles on your vidscreens. and as for your Sweedish female friends, only problem i can forsee is their accent and their ability to speak english. :ph34r: But we will need proper pronuciation of ship names like Nupetiet-Vernitzs i have no earthly idea on how the hell you pronouce that.

Zjentohlauedy is completely phonetic.

Nupetiet Vergnitzs would be nup-e-tiet verg-nits, at least I would imagine.

But units...

We can make phrases: i.e. you give orders to your troups and they respond in zjentolauedy:

(note, zjentohlauedy is an extremely simplified language, so none of this may translate directly)

We understand: zalg esekes (zalg es-kes)

Yes: sa/giltesta/utema/ucome

Transmission understood: erukesto esekes

No escape of (for) (the) enemy: de:sa de:gilts o debran!

Approaching the Battle: delkes gadras

Of course: fodants

We see (the) enemy: zalg utomi debran!

Enemy near: debran nilke!

I guess my two cents on the voices;

One thing you have to remember is that not everybody is a die-hard Macross fan, which means they wouldn't have studied the entire Zjent/Melt language sets (like me) also it might turn away some people interested in the mod when they can't understand what their build manager is saying.

I think Zjent speak might be good for battle chatter but not for combat-important items and production stuff.

Sweetish females? oO;... Well I suppose it's better than no females. And no, I don't know any that would want to help out, either. And it's not like I have a microphone lying around to assist... (just a scanner)

Guys, I mean ONLY for the battle chatter of the units - the interface and everything in it would be in english.

Think of age of mythology. The units banter in greek, norse and egyptian. That's the effect we want to achieve.

I think we might be better off finding some other women to work on it. I don't have a microphone, that's a #1 problem. And then there's the accents. My wife has more of an Australian accent, while one has a more american accent (she says 'arseom' instead of awesome!), and the rest have decidedly swedish accents.

They may have better luck pronouncing the words however - swedish has no silent letters (except for imported french words), and a simpler structure than english.

Another problem I forsee is that there don't appear to be a lot of Women Macross fans (How many are even on this board?) And second of all, if there are ANY women fans out there they'll probably be familiar with Rabbletech.

Then again I suppose there isn't much of a difference with fuel not being rendered- for then we'd have to worry about 'Protoculture supplies low' instead of 'low on fuel' :D

Maybe we should post an ad for voices in the main thread. Or, since Nanashi seems to have everything Macross related, let's see if he can provide the voices from some obscure source nobody's even heard about :D j/k

Seriously I wish I can help but I can't think of any lady friends who would want to provide their voices for this mod. That and I don't have a sound recording studio nor a decent microphone set.