Macross DYRL?: Space War One

The_Major

• 4 weeks later...

anybody have the status of this AWESOME MOD????

anywho, I have been playing the DYRL mod for Homeworld 1 and am having trouble with the game crashing when I play the Zentradi :(

is there a patch or fix for this ?

anyhelp would be great thanks

anybody have the status of this AWESOME MOD????

anywho, I have been playing the DYRL mod for Homeworld 1 and am having trouble with the game crashing when I play the Zentradi :(

is there a patch or fix for this ?

anyhelp would be great thanks

(a few Days Later...)

Nevermind! i found that playing the mod using the "Macross DYRL STANDARD" .exe makes the game work perfect!!!!!

still would like to know whats up with HOMEWORLD 2 Macross Mod still though?

• 3 weeks later...

*returns from the void* :ph34r:

Hmmm... it has been about three years since I visited last and the SDF-1 is still awaiting completion. :blink: Any big names from the mod have time to chime in with a status report?

• 3 weeks later...
*returns from the void* :ph34r:

Hmmm... it has been about three years since I visited last and the SDF-1 is still awaiting completion. :blink: Any big names from the mod have time to chime in with a status report?

Getting there...we can only work on it when we have spare time (which isn't a lot these days with most of the main devs moving to new stages in RL i.e. starting uni, work, having kids!)

SDF-1 is virtually completed, just not in-game yet.

We might be slow, but we aren't dead.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting there...we can only work on it when we have spare time (which isn't a lot these days with most of the main devs moving to new stages in RL i.e. starting uni, work, having kids!)

SDF-1 is virtually completed, just not in-game yet.

We might be slow, but we aren't dead.

PLZ Tell me if all you have left to do is the SDF-1 do you have the veritechs yet at least?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I started to really heavily mod HW2 a while back starting with my own changes to various ships and weapons. I got more advanced and started to change actual ships with the HOD editors and then I got a crazy idea into my head partially as a result of watching the new frontier to make new projectiles. While searching for new projectiles I got the freespace 2 mod for HW2 and got a new crazy idea. I swapped nearly the entire Hiigaran and Vaygr fleet with Terran and shivan fleets, the shivans being unbalanced swiftly became the vasudans. I overcame the docking path problems and learned to make my own as well as solving building production modules issues. I eventually played through the campaign with these changes and it was fun, but kinda boring and the ship models were essentially direct ports of the original and lacking on quality. I saw some of the models you guys have created and I was really wondering if could at least release the models for the rest of us to experiment with? I can even work on the hardpoints are that would help. The only thing I can't really deal with in engine trails and paths due to my lack of 3d modeling program. HOD editors can only take you so far.

I could try to re-export the VF-11, but i don't have the game anymore to test. So i would be blind if it goes ingame or not... Plus it doesn't transforms (i really tried to do a transforming one... but i never managed to do a 100% working madstate). I would just need to work a little more on the textures. That's if you really want it...

--edit--

Reinstalled all the plugins, just need to give me the ship.st shader and it will be exported to hod.

th_57282_VF-11_2_122_1097lo.jpg

--edit---

4 weapons:

Weapon_Gunpod

Weapon_M1

Weapon_M2

Weapon_P1

I exported and it gave an error with the shader... don't know why. here is the file anyway:

http://rapidshare.com/files/123413044/vf11.hod.html

Edited by akt_m

This is how it is, at least for my part. We got to a stage where we had just about all the modelling done, a good deal of the texturing, but almost nothing on the Homeworld II side of things.

I do not have the time to stuff around with this sort of stuff anymore, and will not have the time in the forseeable future. Rather to say, my heart isn't in macross the way it used to be. Don't get me wrong, I love frontier and all the new stuff, but it's not inspiring me the way it used to.

Personally, I've not been in touch with anyone in the team for probably close to a year. I'd be happy to hand over the gauntlet to anyone who has the blood or energy to give it a go. Much of it is model conversion, which means there has to be someone familiar with Maya. That person is not, and never has been me; I'm a 3ds Max man, and even that I haven't seriously touched in a long, long time.

I would love to see the mod finished, but it will not be me doing it. If anyone else in the team is doing stuff, feel free to comment on the current state of things. Personally, I will give the models I made to more or less any Macross (i.e. NOT Robotech) mod effort there is, so long as a suitable way of transfer is organised.

No email.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So in other words all that hard work is about to go into the toilet?

And not one person has stepped forward... FOR SHAME!

Damn, if only Ryunne hadn't disappeared. She was working on a MACROSS mod and it was like a sister project to my own (I had just taken the reigns of the RT one from Max then and began learning how to mod FS2).

When she disappeared her project vanished also and it's lost forever. (I particularly had been very excited about it) :(

Particularly not WHAT was in it, but HOW she got them to work. Her efforts were inspiring and proved to me it could be done, and now 5 years later i still haven't given up!

I got several of my own projects/or ones I assist as it is and really don't see myself starting a new one for Macross. Besides, I would have to do massive research first and if focused on HW2 would run into the SAME problems the current team has. You also notice despite my impassioned plea on the Relic forums and last update one no one there said squat as well or appeared to come here and offered any help what so ever?

So... Unless someone from the COMMUNITY steps forward and stops this madness I myself will sincerely offer to keep the files as an archive for future generations of MACROSS PROJECTS.

Make no mistake, although I'm the lead Dev of the FS2 RT mod, I do know how to manage and separate projects.

my love of Macross is completely separate from RT.

I wouldn't make it a requirement, but I would make a request. Since I write a large cross-over fanfic and elements of MACROSS (as well as other macross sereis) are included. Would it be possible to use the works for image purposes only? Or possibly a video?

Right now my computer is bonked and I spent my savings on another one I DON'T NEED! So the ones I had planned to make are now indefinitely delayed (again!) :angry:

It's totally separate from game mods and I have NEVER released any mesh depicted in the fic since I started writing and making renders since 2004. Game mods used however have, but only with proper permissions first.

If you need a character reference about my word you can ask Tolwyn, Lead Dev of the WCSAGA team for an example.

I had asked about use of their models (since I had them as a voice actor for them and beta tester). I got the ok, but he said only once the demo was released... Well 4 YEARS later the demo is out, so now I can use them even though they've been on my drive the entire time, I never touched them. LOL!!! It was tempting, but the best one I can think of off the top of my head...

I cannot in good conscience just let them go into the void.

It would be a crime...

Now excuse me for asking a very basic question, but as an alternative...

Why wouldn't hosting them on the Macross World server be an option? No doubt it would be the most stable area and reachable by the majority of Macross fans worldwide???

Did the admins decline, not make the offer, or it simply hasn't been thought of yet?

Whatever course you decide to take Lestat, we know that it's a terrible tragedy whenever a mod ends uncompleted.

The only silver lining is that in the future others can begin. You could give them that head start, but if you choose just to destroy the team's work, that's your valid option. I would beg you to enrich the community rather than do that however!.

Now all that's left is waiting to breathe until it's decided one way or another.

Edited by Star Dragon

Unfortunately for me the only games I have ever been involved in mod work for are Mechwarrior and Freelancer. Mechwarrior was/is locked by M$ so you kinda need a dev kit to do any mods which M$ charge for I would love to be able to get at this to put in some Destroids, Zents and Macross landscapes etc to have a Macross city style battle game. Unfortunately I was only ever involved in testing for that one.

Freelancer on the other hand is much more mod-able you can change almost every aspect of it, every trace of Non Macross esque Freelancer stuff can be changed or removed.

A macross version would be easyish to set up. The only problem I could for see is the transformation side of some of the ships etc. It could be massive and have all the Macross worlds in it and potentially all the Bad guys including the Vartua bugs from M 25, all you need to do is apply zones to the bad guys via systems and they stay in the areas you want them. Players can pick a side to work with so we could have a battle royal or just have good guys against the bad guy A.I's.

Freelancer??? Interesting.

I proposed the idea 4 years ago and got ZERO supoport from there.

In addition I found FL modding to be way harder than FS2.

While I can't transformations dynamically (only static with a button press) the SCP is on the verge of mass TF capability.

Our coders worked out small ani sequences for when you press primary or secondary weapons it's a trigger and guns pop out of panels or missile batteries open doors, ect.

Only works with a rigged model and the code has to be unique for each model so that's why it's not used across the board by every modder. It's too soon, plus there ARE limits for a over 10 year old game.

Best bet would be to wait until a new engine came out that was geared toward Noob Modders!

I looked into CRYSIS after seeing their awesome MW and NBSG videos, but alas it sounds very complicated.

FS2 was built from the start to be uber noob friendly and with the editor and text table files you can add a new ship or wep in like 5 mins or less and test it in game.

As you can see I mastered the Trek style turret by an elegant "cheat".

I made a cube and use the "invisible" texture over it and since most trek textures have modeled or texture showing fire points you just drop a cube over it as a hard point, and viola!

Permission gained from both MayhemUK and Queball, originally for Bridge Commander:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Sta.../courageous.jpg

10k USS Courageous with glow and shine maps, will have bump in the future once the coders are done next SCP release I think. As you can see though I got the beam part right I need to reduce the size of the emitter point glow at least by half...

Anyway, if you played the original Xenoforce mod, they had BOTH SDF-1 and Battle-7 that transformed to fire!

ZH was a fum military RTS, but the mod itself was subject to RANDOM crashing as well as a fatal unit limit one.

No matter what engine/game type is used in the future, the point is you'll need one that satisfies all your goals and that has a vibrant mod community to get some damn SUPPORT! Coders, Meshers/Texturers, Sound, and mission/map design people...

I had to stop all my HW2 conversions because my old comp died and my new one refuses to install/run the tools (run time errors!)

It was right after I got permission from GY for Yukkikaze and ATK_m for Gunbuster/Monster (thanks again, glad you solved the movement problem btw!)

Aside from my previous work with the Gundam meshes I am locked out of the NEW content from mod 3.0

Only the works I did from 1.0 and 2.5 into a transitional format (.3ds or .lwo) I have access to.

So for example while I have access to the Gundam 3.0 and BSG fleet command Mods (permissioned with credit)

my comp simply won't let me! I might have to end up going back and asking hat in hand, "Sorry to bother you (again) but could you send me all the ORIGINAL mod files you made or take the time to extract the .hods for me as my comp is broke now..."

I think not... Not only would it be embarrassing, but I would find such a thing annoying myself in their place! :)

[if this is a VISTA thing pls let me know any possible solutions... It would be appreciated!]

BTW ATK_M, as you planning on working on any "BUGS" in the future? I got several souces I'm looking into. For my cross over vid I plan to have a split second scene where you see GunBuster on the bow of SDF-1 arms folded and uses the head beam and takes out a huge chunk..

I fly by in Getter (Star Dragon in US) and use the voice rip from series 1 DVD when Noriko goes, "Geppy Robo!" then space it and add "I'm such an otaku" of course the lines are in Japanese, I will have to add subtitles. :)

I don't know if I'll be adding my own voice for the flyby, "It's Getter Robo, not Geppy!" :)

I'm working on a way so the beam can fire at angles then aim for the target (like the smart beams you see in the show), the coders have managed to do this for missiles just now and I think I can cheat and do it as a beam effect, but it's till a missile!

I will have to investigate this further. I mainly needed the VLS-style launch thing for the SG-1 mod I'm assisting...

If this post was overly long I apologize. I tend to ramble a lot...

Edited by Star Dragon

As i said at my thread at relic forums. Won't be working on newer nor updating any homeworld 2 ships... Even don't have the game anymore... At the time i was planning to do a Final Fantasy 7 mod for UT3, but meh too damn complicated for 1 person alone!!

I also read how to do a mod for Sins of Solar Empire, but i would have to use XSI if i wanted to export the models, so i gave up before even trying...

Edited by akt_m

I recently privately started a Macross mod (post DYRL) of HW2 myself. Still learning the basics of modding the game, still have to figure out how to make new MAD files.

Oh Akt_M I recently pm'ed you for permission on the relic forums to use your models of the VF-11, ghost, and monster

Use them man, no problems. If you want i can give you the texture i made to the VF-11 but didn't get exported to the hod files, couldn't find the ship.st shader at the time.

Creating new madstates?? Just with Maya and the original model i guess. I could write what i still remember from what i learned at the time...

And i barely access the relic forums, that's why i didn't see it...

ATK_M: Could I get a hold of your VF-11 as well?

(preferable as a .cob/.3ds/.obj/ or even .lwo what ever Maya can export to? I only ask because I can no longer work with .hods or .big files)

Depending on your textures, aside from the regular model, may I tweak a set of them to be pink for "Mylene"?

:)

Shadow3393: For post DYRL, are you encompassing all future timeframes or just immediate/mac+ ?

Thanks Akt_M. Your textures are way better than mine. I really suck at texturing. If anyone wants to help me texture my stuff, it would be appreciated.

As for animations, I never could get the relic plugins to work with Maya 2008, so I been doing it the hard way with the MADed program and failing miserably.

I don't really have a time frame for my mod, right now its basically whatever ship I happen to want to model goes in.

Currently I have the Uraga, Northampton, VF-17, VF-11, Monster, Ghost, and Destroid Work as UN Spacy in game, the quadrano rea and cheyenne II will go in if I ever get around to finishing them. I figured out how to make new hyperspace effects. Added some new weapons for itano circus, missile defense and reaction weapons. Thinking of making the NMC and the Vajira units next but want to figure out how to make MAD first.

Freelancer??? Interesting.

In addition I found FL modding to be way harder than FS2.

I had to stop all my HW2 conversions because my old comp died and my new one refuses to install/run the tools (run time errors!)

I think not... Not only would it be embarrassing, but I would find such a thing annoying myself in their place! :)

[if this is a VISTA thing pls let me know any possible solutions... It would be appreciated!]

I never got the hang of FS2 modding although I didn't really try that hard

HW2 wont play nice with Vista I tried all sorts of things to get it to work and the common opinion is it wont. I just use it on my Non Vista system instead. You could also make a dual boot system, that way you could still use it.

Thanks Akt_M. Your textures are way better than mine. I really suck at texturing. If anyone wants to help me texture my stuff, it would be appreciated.

As for animations, I never could get the relic plugins to work with Maya 2008, so I been doing it the hard way with the MADed program and failing miserably.

I don't really have a time frame for my mod, right now its basically whatever ship I happen to want to model goes in.

Currently I have the Uraga, Northampton, VF-17, VF-11, Monster, Ghost, and Destroid Work as UN Spacy in game, the quadrano rea and cheyenne II will go in if I ever get around to finishing them. I figured out how to make new hyperspace effects. Added some new weapons for itano circus, missile defense and reaction weapons. Thinking of making the NMC and the Vajira units next but want to figure out how to make MAD first.

I always used Maya 5.0 to export everything. It has tons of bugs, but worked well with all the plugins.

The ghost x-9 i think i exported with all the hardpoints i've made to make the missile bay open when firing.

As for the textures there is a easy way to do them look better, just select the model, go to lightining/Shading, then batch bake, now in the "colour mode" you have to select occlusion (must set the values to have a good result). It will generate a black and white texture. Now you open it on photoshop, open your colored texture on a layer, on top of the colored layer you create another layer with the black and white texture, now you select to multiply it. Now your coloured texture should be shaded.

To achieve good results you must not overlap any of the model U/V maps, (if they are mirrored there won't be any problems) If you do it it won't look good.

And if you can post any screenshots of the VF-11 in game with the texture i've uploaded please do it, i really wanted to see how it looked in-game.

Sorry if any of my writing seems confused, english is not my native language.

That's really strange... Unless you changed the normals, is it the parallax shader that made it look fat??? I'm positive it should have looked near the screenshot i posted before. What did you use as the parallax map???

--edit--

Man now i see what you did. Did you ask to smooth the normals??? Just don't do it. cause it will look crap. If you can upload the ship.st shader i will try to export here.

Edited by akt_m