Macross DYRL?: Space War One

The_Major

The mod is at a virtual standstill as far as I know. The problem is not that we do not have the models but that we do not have the crew (or enough crew with enough time) with the right skills and knowledge to put them into HW2. Most of the models were made in MAX or other 3d programmes, but they need to be converted first to maya and then exported into HW2. We haven't even begun to animate, and I'm not sure how easy that is to do either. Personally, the HW2 side of stuff/maya is beyond my current skillset, and I don't see it going to change anytime soon.

It sucks. But until there are more crew working on the HW2 side of things, I don't see the mod going anywhere soon - despite the models being more or less done.

Perhaps we ought to release what we have so far. Who knows, maybe someone playing the mod will get enthused and join the team working on that side of things.

The replenishment vessel is an official design for the DYRL game designed by Studio Nue (probably Kawamori). We try to use official macross designs where possible, but due to the nature of the way HW2 plays, we had to take a few liberties with resource collectors and the like, and filling out the Meltohlauendy army units.

Edited by Lestat

The mod is at a virtual standstill as far as I know. The problem is not that we do not have the models but that we do not have the crew (or enough crew with enough time) with the right skills and knowledge to put them into HW2. Most of the models were made in MAX or other 3d programmes, but they need to be converted first to maya and then exported into HW2. We haven't even begun to animate, and I'm not sure how easy that is to do either. Personally, the HW2 side of stuff/maya is beyond my current skillset, and I don't see it going to change anytime soon.

It sucks. But until there are more crew working on the HW2 side of things, I don't see the mod going anywhere soon - despite the models being more or less done.

Perhaps we ought to release what we have so far. Who knows, maybe someone playing the mod will get enthused and join the team working on that side of things.

The replenishment vessel is an official design for the DYRL game designed by Studio Nue (probably Kawamori). We try to use official macross designs where possible, but due to the nature of the way HW2 plays, we had to take a few liberties with resource collectors and the like, and filling out the Meltohlauendy army units.

Yes, as Lestat mentioned there is a massive bottleneck in the "import into HW2" section. I'm partly at fault for this since I've been tied down by RL work (Just started full time work and also doing some professional exams at the same time). So deepest apologies for the slow down.

I agree with Lestat about the need for new crew. So please spread the word! I think Cthonic is also planning a new website, so hopefully that will also draw fresh interest from HW2 modders.

Edited by Alfie

I have an ear over at Forums.relicnews, so I stopped by when this mod popped up.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful than just being a brainbank... but let me know if you want new ship ideas to play with and I'll come running.

Luck on the real work for the mod, though.

Well, here i am as Lestat told me in my Thread. As you may (or may not) know, I asked a couple of threads ago where free macross models were avaible for download because i needed them for a Mod Project of mine involving Macross for the upcoming CNC3. Lestat told me to post in this thread, and i must say i'm impressed by your work. Lestat, if your modellers are ok with that, the Daedalus II model, the Macross Model, the Vf-1J and the VF-4 would complete what i need for the project. Is there a VF-3000 model as well?

By the way, it's an honor that you granted me permission, Lestat

You don't really absolutely need Maya anymore, there's a nifty little tool that can get you around it. http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=101507

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here i am as Lestat told me in my Thread. As you may (or may not) know, I asked a couple of threads ago where free macross models were avaible for download because i needed them for a Mod Project of mine involving Macross for the upcoming CNC3. Lestat told me to post in this thread, and i must say i'm impressed by your work. Lestat, if your modellers are ok with that, the Daedalus II model, the Macross Model, the Vf-1J and the VF-4 would complete what i need for the project. Is there a VF-3000 model as well?

By the way, it's an honor that you granted me permission, Lestat

The Macross and Daedelus II are completed, but we have no VF-1J and the VF-4 is (to my knowledge) untextured. I'm about to head over to Australia, so I will be away three weeks. If anyone else is lurking, feel free to step in.

The news about the tool is good, but I'm not sure how much it helps. It may make things easier to convert for us though, who knows. We still need help on the HW2 side of things, and that's still the main problem. Still, this makes things easier.

Don't want to be a huge bother but what is the percent in which the mod is done at?

I know a few guys on a secret special forum(Guess you could be right. :) )that are willing to lend a hand but they ain't familiar with Macross or HW.

Just not sure on how to get raise their interest for this project to put more enthusiasm as they work into it.

Modelling - 90+%

Texturing - 75%

Model Conversion to Homeworld 2 - 65%

Animation - 0%

Balancing - 5%

Effects - 25%

These are rough guess-timates.

A lot of the hard work is done - the modelling that is. The rest of it can be done with less required skill, but nevertheless, we lack the manpower and know-how.

As it stands, the mod is playable but unbalanced. There is no SDF-1 in-game, as we're waiting on proper textures for the ARMD-01 model, and there are no transforming valks. There are problems with the Meltohlaunndy and Zjentohlauedy flagships, as they work like homeworld 2 motherships and are too slow; we may have to make them a different class of ship and disinclude motherships, making custom multiplayer maps.

There is no such thing as single player mode, although you can play through some missions with macross units instead of homeworld ones but this has not been tested.

Overall, maybe 50% done, and pretty stagnant. I've been saying for years maybe we should just release a version as is, and that may attract some new blood. Maybe I'll make a poll and we'll see.

here's the thing. i have three months of free time this summer, and i was looking into learning how to mod hw2. i know that sounds absolutely useless to people who actually know stuff, but i'm genuinely interested. major or lestat or alfie or anyone on the team, if anyone could just point me in the right direction to some info, especially with where current probs are, i'd be more than happy to try to help, being that i'm a university student and don't much like reading about history and economics all day. really. i sincerely would like to contribute to this mod. especially if i can help. i stop by relicforums every now and then too, but yeah. PLEASE RELEASE INTERNAL ALPHA.

best of luck and i hope to hear back,

-dedalus

here's the thing. i have three months of free time this summer, and i was looking into learning how to mod hw2. i know that sounds absolutely useless to people who actually know stuff, but i'm genuinely interested. major or lestat or alfie or anyone on the team, if anyone could just point me in the right direction to some info, especially with where current probs are, i'd be more than happy to try to help, being that i'm a university student and don't much like reading about history and economics all day. really. i sincerely would like to contribute to this mod. especially if i can help. i stop by relicforums every now and then too, but yeah. PLEASE RELEASE INTERNAL ALPHA.

best of luck and i hope to hear back,

-dedalus

Thanks for the offer to help...much appreciated, though you'll need a copy of Maya to be able to really help out, maybe they have something at uni? As for info about modding: the HW2 official mod tools include documentation of the basics. HW2 wiki: http://wiki.hw2.info/KarosGraveyard has lots of additional info as well.

As for the internal Aplha, we were considering releasing a "teaser" mod with one or two capships and 4-5 fighter class units for each side. Transformations, if any, will only have cosmetic effects atm tho. Earliest chance I will have to put his together would be sometome late May or June.

Cheers,

Alfie

Thanks for the offer to help...much appreciated, though you'll need a copy of Maya to be able to really help out, maybe they have something at uni? As for info about modding: the HW2 official mod tools include documentation of the basics. HW2 wiki: http://wiki.hw2.info/KarosGraveyard has lots of additional info as well.

As for the internal Aplha, we were considering releasing a "teaser" mod with one or two capships and 4-5 fighter class units for each side. Transformations, if any, will only have cosmetic effects atm tho. Earliest chance I will have to put his together would be sometome late May or June.

Cheers,

Alfie

If you don't I would like to work on the in-game menu for the mod if it has not been done yet.

My photoshop skills are up to par and I got a million ideas on what to do in it, I can only imagine it.

But seriously though, give me till the end of next week and I can hopefully come up with something. :)

I will be posting screenshots then and hopefully it turns out good. :D

Hi There

Sometime ago I figured out how to animate a VF fighter for homeworld 1, at that moment I think I was the 1st to have done that. But due to real life issues and work change, I sort of disappear from the community, I think lestat might remember me though

I do have to apologize to him for disappearing on him then.

Anyway I have been lurking here for a long time and I see that they seem to have the same problem they had with animations for HW2 as they had with HW1.

I will see if I can get back into this moddeding thing and will poke ard in the next few weeks. No promises but I will see if I can help out in that dept, but I have yet to touch HW2 interms of modding thus will have to see if I can even contribute to the mod or not.

• 1 month later...

When I can get around to devoting some attention span, I can draw up some rough sketches of the other side :D

But basicly it looks OK so far... kinda wish something could be done about the extended command module, but that's how I drew it and it would be hypocritical of me to critique my own design :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whats the progress on this?

I'm really starting to think that the devs gave up on this. :(

I guess my Homeworld 2 game is going to be gathering extra dust now...-_-

What the other team mates tell me is that we need coders, we are just a bunch of 3D artists with not much knowledge on how to actually "mod" the game, so any help is welcome.

What the other team mates tell me is that we need coders, we are just a bunch of 3D artists with not much knowledge on how to actually "mod" the game, so any help is welcome.

Have you guys bothered to update your ModDB project page?

People seem real interested in it, if you give a update and request some coders I'm sure people will be coming at yah. :)

Just an update:

Still working on mini mod, end of financial year is just keeping me busy timewise recently.

There are devs that know how to code and add stuff into game, just too busy (myself included). But we are still here, and have not abandoned the mod!

Edited by Alfie

• 3 weeks later...

wow im totaly behind the times!!

iv just started playing the 1st Macross Mod of HOMEWORLD 1 and im totaly hooked!!!

im totaly looking forward to the HOMEWORLD 2 Macross mod.

keep up the good work

you guys ROCK!!

water_42400.jpg

Edited by Razor x

OH NO!!! I just noticed that this Mod has been under contruction for a very long time, :(

does anyone know the status?

I hope the creators of this mod still have the motivation to complete this massive task.

Due to the lack of Macross PC games you are our only hope.

PLEASE DONT GIVE UP! :)

thumb_46260.jpg

RaZoR X...OuT!

I know, this mod has been in development for ages and ages, but if I know Lestat, he will keep working on this baby until his dying day to get it done. He might get distracted for a while, but hey, don't we all? I remember when I was supposed to be working the Homeworld 1 version of the mod, and a fellow mod member and I had just got our copies of Black & White. We didn't produce anything for weeks until Lestat jumped our case over ICQ to put it down and get back to work. Heh, I haven't played B&W since lol.

• 2 weeks later...
I hope this doesn't get canned after all this work....otherwise I just pissed $15 on a copy of Homeworld 2 that'll never get used otherwise :p

Homeworld2 is IMHO a great game that cries out to be played. The singleplayer campaign is well executed and the story interesting. Believe me your 15$ aren't wasted on this game.

Homeworld2 is IMHO a great game that cries out to be played. The singleplayer campaign is well executed and the story interesting. Believe me your 15$ aren't wasted on this game.

It was a joke :p

...my god I can't wait to install HW2 on my new P4 system in a weeks time :9

Edited by Winter Tw Wolf