Macross DYRL?: Space War One

The_Major

....maggot missile pods....

"Maggot missile" is name that Peter Walker of the Robotech Technical Files made up.

They are "close-in-use super-small-type high maneuver missile launchers x 4 (126 missiles)"

The Nameless Advisor

www.macrossmecha.info

386924[/snapback]

Well, SkyDancer, there's your technical info. As for blaming Australia. I am Australian, and grew up with robocrap. DYRL is what converted me, and hence, that's how the mod was born in the first place.

The internet was useful for learning about the original series, and <cough> I have seen the series on bittorrent before <cough>.

Glad to hear we've got someone new on the team with the right kind of priorities. Looking forward to seeing what else you might come up with.

Now that I'm not as lazy... heres a shot of the completed SDF-1. Chthonic is tweaking it a little with his new texturing skills, and surprisingly, I'm happy for him to have a crack at it.

post-544-1144139585_thumb.jpg

Now that I'm not as lazy... heres a shot of the completed SDF-1. Chthonic is tweaking it a little with his new texturing skills, and surprisingly, I'm happy for him to have a crack at it.

387461[/snapback]

your gonna use the subsystem build menu to but the deadelous promethius and ARMD's on there arnt you?

"Maggot missile" is name that Peter Walker of the Robotech Technical Files made up.

They are "close-in-use super-small-type high maneuver missile launchers x 4 (126 missiles)"

The Nameless Advisor

www.macrossmecha.info

386924[/snapback]

There's only really one use for those row-boat-techie names. And that's internal naming conventions for projects like this. It would be a pain to have model and data file names like "supersmalltypehighmanuevermissile.hod" or even "CIUSSTHMM.miss".

That's about the only use for such rediculous rt-fanboy names, though. ;)

The Nameless Advisor

www.macrossmecha.info

386924[/snapback]

There's only really one use for those row-boat-techie names. And that's internal naming conventions for projects like this. It would be a pain to have model and data file names like "supersmalltypehighmanuevermissile.hod" or even "CIUSSTHMM.miss".

That's about the only use for such rediculous rt-fanboy names, though. ;)

387660[/snapback]

Yea there’s that, but in all honesty if you asked me how the close-in-use super-small-type high maneuver missile launchers were coming along I’d have to say not verry well in comparison to the maggot missile pods!

The SDF-1 is looking absolutely amazing.. truely.

Ive finaly managed to get all my files organzied again and have gotten back into the swing of modeling again.. working on the VF-X-4 at the moment then gonna move on to some other things and start from scratch. Dont worry i havent vanished again just being extreamly scrutious with all the files ive run through hehe.

I thought chthonic was working on the VF-X-4, or at least the textures... though he did send it and the VF-4 to tweak, but I haven't had time with the Macross, and now the ARMD definately needs doing.

Who is for a little Rau with it's close-rang-Jiba-jaba-somthing-bla-bla-missile-pods.

The rau is coming along nice, Cgthonic and myself helped bring this little picture for all you DYRL groupies!

389020[/snapback]

Looking sweet. How's the poly count coming along?

Who is for a little Rau with it's close-rang-Jiba-jaba-somthing-bla-bla-missile-pods.

The rau is coming along nice, Cgthonic and myself helped bring this little picture for all you DYRL groupies!

389020[/snapback]

Looking sweet. How's the poly count coming along?

389538[/snapback]

cough cough

1400 3ds format :blink:

I can cope with that. I've got a new GeForce 6600, not really worried about polygon counts at this stage. Besides, the Queadluun Rau is a beautiful mecha, it would be a shame to poorly represent it.

If you could send it to me though Chthonic, I'd like to see the mesh and see where all those polys went into.

Also, remember, the more polys you've got, the less need for shading in the texture, at least I would not imagine on this model...

Can we get a larger screen capture?

I can cope with that. I've got a new GeForce 6600, not really worried about polygon counts at this stage. Besides, the Queadluun Rau is a beautiful mecha, it would be a shame to poorly represent it.

If you could send it to me though Chthonic, I'd like to see the mesh and see where all those polys went into.

Also, remember, the more polys you've got, the less need for shading in the texture, at least I would not imagine on this model...

Can we get a larger screen capture?

390095[/snapback]

post-610-1144802577_thumb.jpg

post-610-1144802593_thumb.jpg

post-610-1144802616_thumb.jpg

Very nice work on the Rau i like it very much indeed.

WIsh i had some progress shots of the VF-X-4.. but alas ive hit some snags in it and its being a pain to mess with. however i do expect some updates with it..

gawd im slow.. >_<

390140[/snapback]

My Dear Friend, that's why I passed it on to you. IT DROVE ME CRAZY.

I've been working on the ARMD textures now. Just got the base stuff happening for now. Here's a progress. I'm gonna hand this over to Chthonic to play with.

post-544-1145194611_thumb.jpg

Hey guys I know you want it...so here it is!

Quedluun-nona

:rolleyes:

Chthonic I'll send it to you along with a cleaner rau if i catch you on MSN or get them both from Lestat if you see him first.

Sorry about the raise in poly during conversion... <_<

I forgot that 3ds dont like poly's with more then three vertices so it choped the lwo sqare polys into triangles during conversion thus raising a 900 poly model to 1400. MY BAD!

Any way the nona is an 800 poly lwo model so it should convert to a 1300 poly 3ds model.

I also seperated the claws on both models if you want to animate that part indapendent from the arms.

The Zentraedi nousjadeul-ger is next on my hit list. This one is hard so it may take a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes!

post-3736-1145364730_thumb.jpg

post-3736-1145364749_thumb.jpg

Looking great.

Things are really getting moving again.

Chthonic should update some more renders soon of the new stuff, including the more complete ARMD-02 model.

Guys, your job is amazing, it's incredible, it's awesome.....I'm breathless

...raising a 900 poly model to 1400. MY BAD!

Any way the nona is an 800 poly lwo model so it should convert to a 1300 poly 3ds model.

SkyDancer, I don't know if you ever heard of this plug-ing, the qemLOSS3, it works on lightwave and helps you to reduce the number of polygons

The qemLOSS2 shrunk a 10K+ poly model of "marvin the martian" into a 2K poly model, so, I hope it helps you on that

Here's a little qupte from the developer's site

Summary: This Lightwave Modeler plugin uses a surface simplification algorithm in an attempt to reduce the number of polygons in a Lightwave object. The plugin allows the user to rapidly produce good quality approximations of excessively detailed polygonal models.

This is a new version of the qemLOSS2 plugin, with added support for all the standard Lightwave vertex maps (UV maps, weight maps, color maps, endomorphs, and selection sets). This version preserves all vertex maps in the original object, and interpolates the values in the vertex maps when a vertex is relocated during the reduction. It allows the discontinuous vertices in a vertex map to be constrained during the reduction process. It also includes support for weight map values and endomorph magnitudes to be used as reduction constraints, giving the user control over which parts of the object will be reduced.

This plugin uses routines adapted from Michael Garland's MixKit library distributed with his QSlim Simplification Software. The algorithms used in this software are described in the papers written by Michael Garland and Paul S. Heckbert: "Surface Simplification Using Quadric Error Metrics", SIGGRAPH '97, and "Simplifying Surfaces with Color and Texture using Quadric Error Metrics", IEEE Visualization '98.

In case you are interested, here's the URL

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss3.html

If you want to see the poly reducted model, this is the place

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss2.html

Also, do you know where can I get some tutorials for 3d modelling? I have already used 3DStudioMAX (but a version from 98.......) and handle myself a little bit on that, but I got lightwave last week (eager to test it on the weekends!) and want to know a little bit more about it (found some already but want more : p)

Well, best wishes for all of you -----------------------------------7H4_D00D3

SkyDancer, I don't know if you ever heard of this plug-ing, the qemLOSS3, it works on lightwave and helps you to reduce the number of polygons

The qemLOSS2 shrunk a 10K+ poly model of "marvin the martian" into a 2K poly model, so, I hope it helps you on that

The lightwave models are great that SkyDancer is producing. The problem is when we export them to another file format they jump in polys by a good deal. For example, a 800 poly model in Lightwave becomes a 1200 poly model when exported to max...

The lightwave models are great that SkyDancer is producing

No doubt about it!

Too bad there's not such an utility for 3DS :(

I assumed that (conversion issue), and 800 polys is like :blink::blink:, but if the model "magically" could be reduced to 500 (just sick....sick) then when going to 3DS it shold be 1000 polys or so.

I posted it just to let you know, better waste a couple of Kb than miss a chance of doing something :p

Please don't take my posts as the "piece-0-crap telling God how to rule the Universe"...

BTW, I think I'm wrong, after all, there's this

http://www.mootools.com/plugins/us/polygoncruncher/index.asp

post-3809-1145489464.jpg

This image is a 18340 faces 11400 point truck

post-3809-1145489487.jpg

This one is a 1834 faces 1140 points version of the same truck

I can get the 5.0 version (3DS & Lightwave version) if you want

all's looking good, i hope the summer gives yall a chance to hual ass

by the way lestat i started my mod for SE4 and i still need source images, got anywhere that i can find the DYRL mod for homeworld 1? or as i said before i just need top down view and something for the portrait graphic, i can do all the shrinking and cropping myself i think

I always assumed the Nna was smaller than the Rau, as I held the Nna as being (to put it loosely) the regult of the Meltlandi forces. It's smaller, faster, and cheaper, and brighter colored :D

392552[/snapback]

Nah, not smaller, just less powerful.

Besides, if you consider the reguld verses the glaug, there's not much of a difference in size.

Aside from that, money does not exist to the Zent/Melt. What is produced is produced. So long as the factory works, its all good.

The lightwave models are great that SkyDancer is producing. The problem is when we export them to another file format they jump in polys by a good deal. For example, a 800 poly model in Lightwave becomes a 1200 poly model when exported to max...

392442[/snapback]

Have you triangulated them before export? I've found that tends to stop some convertion weirdness that crops up from time to time.